any mechanics here?

Paducah Home Theater

They just quoted me a minimum of $563 just to change the spark plugs. The problem, other than being an aluminum head or whatever, is that they are a two piece design. If any of them freeze up like previously mentioned, it's an additional $129 each. That doesn't include the coils, which are $100 each. That's like potentially $1,500-$2,000 just to change the damn spark plugs.

While helping me bias my amps, Craig Ostby got exasperated and told me, "There are just some people who should never touch a screw driver." Guess that leaves me out of the mechanics group.

should of told him some people shouldn't use super glue to hold the Bias pot in either

They just quoted me a minimum of $563 just to change the spark plugs. The problem, other than being an aluminum head or whatever, is that they are a two piece design. If any of them freeze up like previously mentioned, it's an additional $129 each. That doesn't include the coils, which are $100 each. That's like potentially $1,500-$2,000 just to change the damn spark plugs.

Can you find a independent garage that specializes in Ford?

Frequently with a vehicle more than 5 years old an independent sees more of these vehicles and can beat the by the book time.

My bias pots are still in place, rock solid. Nothing at all wrong with his strategy according to my results. Some people should never touch a screwdriver!  :)

:)

Edited by A1UC

Time for a trade in! :-)

Well that's what I'm debating. As of right now I'm still looking at:

$130 diagnostics

$1200 tires

$150 lifetime alignment

$563 minimum spark plug charge

$0-$1,032 potential spark plug removal charge

$0-$800 potential new coils

$700 shocks that I keep putting off

And most likely none of this will help the rattles whatsoever, that's in addition to whatever they find with the diagnostics. That's on top of the $800 I spent on a new 4wd solenoid, rear axle seals, and a new hub.

If I didn't also have a $40,000 Jeep, I'd be way more depressed about my transportation situation.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Can you get a recording of the sound? This means everything.

JJK

I tried but the engine noise drowned it out almost completely. I can try to upload one anyway, I took like 5 videos. I'll replay them and see if I can hear any of them.

You can barely hear it here. There is a few obvious rattles in the foreground which you can easily hear, but more importantly, during this entire video this is an extremely faint rattle / PSSHHH sound in the background that is getting drowned out by the engine noise. You'll have to use heaphones, listen hard, and have good ears to be able to even tell it is there. It is WAYYY more obvious in person.

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/metropolislakeoutfitters/media/20160506_084838_zpsjcvi6vcw.mp4.html?o=0

Is it the cricket sound? 

To me, it doesn't sound engine or transmission related, it doesn't sound mechanical. It sounds more like a cable controller or wiring pinching or binding up on something. Have you tried climbing around the truck while someone is driving, trying to locate it?

The cricket sound is the obvious sound I was talking about. Listen harder, VERY faint constant noise in the background. My phone can't hardly pick it up at all for some reason. I'll try again with the phone hanging out the window, maybe that will help.

Well that's what I'm debating. As of right now I'm still looking at:

$130 diagnostics

$1200 tires

$150 lifetime alignment

$563 minimum spark plug charge

$0-$1,032 potential spark plug removal charge

$0-$800 potential new coils

$700 shocks that I keep putting off

And most likely none of this will help the rattles whatsoever, that's in addition to whatever they find with the diagnostics. That's on top of the $800 I spent on a new 4wd solenoid, rear axle seals, and a new hub.

If I didn't also have a $40,000 Jeep, I'd be way more depressed about my transportation situation.

Looks as though they just don't like you.

Get another estimate and be nice this time.

Here are two videos which show different ways to remove those plugs. One guy with some PB and a ratchet and another with spray carb cleaner and an impact on low reverse setting.

One guy said he used carb cleaner dip down in the hole. I kinda wonder if Seafoam wouldn't work better than any of them.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1