Will it buff right out?

Go for it jweb. You have already discovered how great they sound outdoors. It is fun having a "knock around" set of LS! I took over a beater pair from Matthews and put some sweat equity into them, added a little bondo, slapped on the Duratex, even added some aluminum angle to the edges for good measure. There have been many threads here about rescuing these wonderful speakers and you can search for your best fit. Since mine were for knock around, I chose the Duratex. It does look industrial but that is what I was shooting for. (2 quarts will do both speakers) Their size and weight are somewhat of a restriction but still get used quite often. Whole lotta bang for the buck!

post-60988-0-25020000-1468156004_thumb.j

post-60988-0-80300000-1468156068_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 2

MookieStl, those look great, great job. I don't have time right now. I have some Khorn bass bins that I could use the horns and xover to make some Frankenstein's Monsters. :ph34r:  

You're right about them being outside. I have never taken any of my Klipsch outside for jam session. These would be perfect. 

• Like 2

Duratex and trim is the way to go on those i think. Those look awesome. But i also think you can get them smooth enough for veneer but may be to much work. I would love to have a pair to set outside and piss the neighbors off,,,lol. Or take to a party with a portable CD player and battery powered amp to impress the party people. To bad we do not have block parties around here no more people are just not the same huh. But there is always the pilgramage to bring them to huh.

How is Duratex applied ???

Edited by ricktate
  • Like 1

The easiest way to apply the Duratex is with a textured sponge roller. If you buy from parts-express, most packages come with a small roller with a handle. You adjust the amount of texture by thinning it down with water. The thinner Duratex leaves a smoother finish. All real easy. I think PE has a couple videos on their website showing how it is done.

• Like 1

Not everyone may be aware, Duratex is not only available in Black, but ALSO in a easily tintable to ANY color base, I think same price.

Infinite color possibilitys.

Very cost effective option, ------------ especially when figuring all told labor saved.

Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I had someone contact me about some LaScala that needed rescued. Seems that some curtains caught fire and fell on the cabinets.  Most of the black on the top is from the curtains, but the cabinets's veneer did start to burn too. All of the insulation on the wires on the xover and on the speaker wire doesn't show any sign of heat. They're still flexible, no melted areas or cracking so I bought them.  

My question(s): Do you think they're worth salvaging, and if so, is there something that I should do / look for before trying them?

Thanks in advance for your opinion and advice. 

That's really nice rustic look. Haven't seen anybody try that, so those would certainly be all original. Make a great pair of ranch house speakers.

• Like 1