Can Gatlin Beat Bolt?

Jeff Matthews

I'd say no barring something unforeseen.  Bolts legs move back and forth at the same speed as the smaller competitors.  His stride is longer so he covers more distance per stride than his competitors.

My thoughts and ONLY my thoughts are that he juices.  There's been nothing to indicate that other than the fact of how superior he is to his competition. 

I've heard talk that they all juice.  I imagine the number of concoctions a chemist/nutritionist can come up with is kind of like the scramble between computer security pros and hackers.  They just try to stay one step ahead.  It is what it is.  I don't let any of it detract from the fact that this is the best mankind can generate under any scenario.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't let any of it detract from the fact that this is the best mankind can generate under any scenario.

I disagree.  It's the best man can concoct and still be undetected under the current testing.  Take the limits off and you'll see ungodly numbers.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I disagree.  It's the best man can concoct and still be undetected under the current testing.  Take the limits off and you'll see ungodly numbers.

True.  I didn't mean that they numbers wouldn't improve if they removed the limits.  I was just saying that these guys are the best under the prescribed limits.

Edit:  Come to think of it, we ought to give you some of Oldie's magic hot sauce and put you out on the track.  I see sub-9 in your future.  LOL!

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I've heard talk that they all juice.  I imagine the number of concoctions a chemist/nutritionist can come up with is kind of like the scramble between computer security pros and hackers.  They just try to stay one step ahead.  It is what it is.  I don't let any of it detract from the fact that this is the best mankind can generate under any scenario.

The only one suspected of doping out of those 2 is Gatlin (2x)

A sprinter at 6'5", it is just a rare combination that was developed to full potential by being from a place where sprinters are revered, and placed above all else  (even cricket).

I doubt it, but it is possible in the 100m.  Gatlin finished only .01s behind him at the World Championships in Bejing last August.  It will take a sub 9.8 and probably a personal best by Gatlin, say 9.75, and even then, Bolt is might go faster.  I think it will be within .05, so any slip by Bolt and he can lose.  200m?  Nope.

2 hours ago, rgdawsonco said:

I doubt it, but it is possible in the 100m.  Gatlin finished only .01s behind him at the World Championships in Bejing last August.  It will take a sub 9.8 and probably a personal best by Gatlin, say 9.75, and even then, Bolt is might go faster.  I think it will be within .05, so any slip by Bolt and he can lose.  200m?  Nope.

Yeah.  The video of Gatlin/Bolt last year shows Gatlin making an error at the end which likely cost him the race.  As to the 200m, Bolt is ungodly once he gets a full-on stride.

Quick someone put a blow dart in bolts ***. That'll stop him. Nothing malicious just some great hallucinogenic drug. 

Otherwise no I don't see anyone beating him. As for him juicing possible. After seeing so many dominate performances from athletes such as Lance Armstrong  and other sprinters that just blow the doors off the competition to such a degree I have a hard time believing they are all natural.  Time will tell. 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:00 PM, JL Sargent said:

The only guy in racing that actually has a name that accurately describes his talent. Bolt, fast a lightning! No, I don' think Tony can beat him.

Bolt is almost as good as being a shooter with the last name of Thrasher, or being a snail named Turbo...  ;) 

I actually used to be a sprinter believe it or not.  Made it to nationals by age 12, broke the KY state record, could outrun two different University of Kentucky running backs as a freshman (I went to school with them), was even a walk-on at Murray State until my grades got a little too bad, all with scoliosis. 

• Like 1

Bolt started badly in his heat race. Ran 40 meters, sped up a bit for 30 meters until he was leading, then "jogged" the rest of the way and ran 10.07... That's the fastest opening heat race he's ever run at the Olympics.

The thing I find most amazing is that he looks like he's just cruising along with no effort... while everyone else looks like they're struggling to keep up.

My money is on Bolt to win again in the 100, 200 and 4 x 100 relay.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Unfortunately, I missed it.  The results show Gatlin with the fastest time in Heat 1 at 10:01.

Go Gatlin!

I am more in line with these sentiments:

"King's stance against doping isn't just in regards to her sport – or even athletes from other countries. When she was asked if American sprinter Justin Gatlin should be on the team after two drug suspensions, the Indiana University student didn't back down."

"Do I think people who have been caught for doping offenses should be on the team? No, I don't," King said. "It should be set in stone. There should be no bouncing back and forth."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20996464_21023344,00.html

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

I am more in line with these sentiments:

"King's stance against doping isn't just in regards to her sport – or even athletes from other countries. When she was asked if American sprinter Justin Gatlin should be on the team after two drug suspensions, the Indiana University student didn't back down."

"Do I think people who have been caught for doping offenses should be on the team? No, I don't," King said. "It should be set in stone. There should be no bouncing back and forth."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20996464_21023344,00.html

Just the same way they treat felons.  You can't just do your time and start over.  No. You have to lose your civil rights forever and all but be guaranteed you'll never hold a job requiring a license again, or for that matter, a job with a reputable, corporate employer.

I understand the stigma which is associated with past offenses.  However, "forever" just seems like a long time for some types of infractions.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, dwilawyer said:

The only one suspected of doping out of those 2 is Gatlin (2x)

A sprinter at 6'5", it is just a rare combination that was developed to full potential by being from a place where sprinters are revered, and placed above all else  (even cricket).

I think you will find that the fastest men in the world have always been under 6'.  Tall guys just can't "pick them up and put them down" as fast.  (long legs)

Bolt breaks the mold.   

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Just the same way they treat felons.  You can't just do your time and start over.  No. You have to lose your civil rights forever and all but be guaranteed you'll never hold a job requiring a license again, or for that matter, a job with a reputable, corporate employer.

I understand the stigma which is associated with past offenses.  However, "forever" just seems like a long time for some types of infractions.

Face it Jeff.  You will never be forgiven.