Can Gatlin Beat Bolt?

Jeff Matthews

Semis tonight (Sun) finals at 925p tonight.

I missed the semis, did both get through?

EDIT:

Both are in.  Bolt seems to have dogged it at both the start AND finish and still set the fastest time!

I'm picking him.  B)

• Moderators

The broadcasters were saying that he actually doesn't accelerate at the end, me "maintains his speed" while the others slow down.

Apparently the shorter guys reach their peak speed at 50 meters, Bolt closer to 60, and they slow down towards the end while he continues.

Whatever it is, he's fast.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Bolt had a few offers from NFL teams to try out, but he wasn't crazy about football. It would be interesting to see if his speed translated well into football speed.

He would be a huge WR in the  NFL.

You would think, but there is no rhyme or reason to speed equating to football success. 

In the 100 and 110 hurdles there were some with world class speed that went into NFL.  There was the big debacle with the 49ers going after Renaldo Nehemiah, a world record holder sprinter/hurdler.  After 3 years he was bumped from the team to make room to draft a guy who only ran a 4.7 40 (and ended up in the hall of fame).  

Bob Haynes is probably the most successful gold medal sprinter in the NFL.  Cowboys, HOF.

Willie Gault HD a good career with Bears and Raiders.

Cliff Branch had a type of speed where in counted, start, accelerate,  stop, and back to full speed in shortest distance.  I think he was probably the quickest player in NFL, ever.

For 40 speeds, Bo Jackson is NFL record holder, from when they started actually keeping track and recording those times like at the combines.

Two of the NFL's fastest times in the 40, Sanders and Green, we're primarily defensive players.  

What you have to find is a guy like Dickerson who was actually faster in pads than without.  

• Like 1