I'm Sick of Love Songs

thebes

Is it me, or is has it become impossible to find or listen to anything but love songs in almost any genre of music these days. 

OK before you start saying "it's always been that way Thebes", I'm not  necessarily arguing with you.  Even with the creative types like Dylan, at least half his output was some kinda relationship, love, lost love, found love, gonna fined love, it 's around the corner, someone stole my love, humped my love, got me close to love, thinkin about love, gonna get that woman who took my love, I'm over a love.

But think about it for a minute.  Used to be, sometimes, between love songs you'd find songs about cars, surfin, war and peace, space, drugs, tropical paradise, bad weather, beautiful weather (anyone remember "It's a Beautiful Day"), horsemen (apocalyptic types) drugs, (and yes sex falls under love and rock and roll is mostly about love), Jah, Yellow Snow, dental floss, bowel movements, beards, tats, motorcycles, bayous, the devil, voodoo, chillin, chitlin, groovin, floods, white satin,  autobahns, fish, (as in here comes the), Duke and Earls, trucks and dogs (although that one may fall into the love category), puke (as in boogie till ya), shrimp, catfish, hound dogs, coal miners,   majestic mountains, levies, pickle and motorcycles, race,the races, zoot suites, shoes, (blue suede), aliens (one-eyed)....

...I could go on and one but it's time to flip the record. 

So anything new out there that isn't about sex and love? 

• Like 4

Hey Dean, thanks for the selection, it is very sad but haunting.

Islander, great songs, especially those mummies (has sex so technically a love song). Love their beat.  YOu have eclectic tastes in music. Something I heartily approve of.

Songs abut drinkin?  Tell me more! (better not be 99 beers on the wall)

I think my point, besides stringing some words together is that even though I love (cough, cough) love songs, take most of Leonard Cohen's stuff for example, it just seems like we are drowning in them and its oftentimes its just a cheap and lazy way for a writer to put something to paper and then to a song, or a run on sentence in this case.

Oh, and I'm Thebes. I don't need no stinkin safe word.