When Did We Become So Wimpy On The Forum?

tidmack

I call chemo and radiation "the gifts that keep on giving". Going into the first summer after treatment, I had heatstroke while coaching. Shortly thereafter, I noticed that I don't sweat, which saves me on deodorant, but doesn't do much for my social life. I can't do any heat at all, and sitting in the shade doesn't help much.

Yeah, I know, I whine a lot - deal with it. 

39 minutes ago, Deang said:

Most of the arguing on 2-channel back then was not about loudspeakers or politics (which typically happened in The General Section), but about tube amplifier topologies (SET vs PP). Amy and Trey had it set up as opposed to banning us. Initially, there was only about a dozen of us.

I remember that time quite well (early 2000's) and with great fondness, it was the time to be on the Klipsch forum and most of the good stuff was in 2-channel.  The battles between Mark and Kelly were epic - insults flying everywhere couched in language that made you think.  Craig learning to repair equipment from Mark and starting his hobby-based business that really got everyone into tube amps.  We argued amps, topologies, repairs, tubes, tube manufacturers, and many threads were dedicated to just smacking Craig for his grammar and spelling - which improved over the course of time due to the Klipsch forum.  Yes, on occasion those discussions also turned into a political, economical, or religious discussions, drew hundreds of responses, and were shutdown - most occurred outside of 2-channel but it was the personalities of 2-channel who frequently argued these topics as well.  I was mostly silent. :huh:

39 minutes ago, Deang said:

Without the banter, this place is just plain boring. I would leave for a month and come back and see the same topics on a page, no movement whatsoever.

Ditto.  There were several personalities that made you want to visit the forum everyday (regardless of topic)  and most of them have been silenced.  For me, the heyday of the forum has passed and those graphs tend to bear that out.  But, hey, what do I know... I find Twitter and YouTube comments to be meaningless and bereft of any intelligence but there are millions of sheep following half-wits around offering up all manner of useless drivel.

• Like 1

I think you need to get the stats on how many guests are on here. It is a very high number, actually, from a casual look at the 'who's online' pages. I think a lot of people are getting information from here without ever joining, and while it may be boring for those who have been on here since the early days, it took US a long time to compile a lot of information so we don't always have to answer the way we did in the past.

• Like 3

Your so right! I read through different blogs and web posts it gets to the point I do not want to read anymore. Most of the good stuff is posted from persons between 40 years old and up. I've been into audio for over 50 years and still get that feeling in my stomach and heart when I listen to others "vintage" audio and my own. I have a Yamaha cr1020, a pair of Klipsch Heresy's, a pair of Pioneer cs99's, and a Carver amp. My system is not top of the line by any means but it sure beats the hell out of an IPod. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Deang said:

The numbers are worse than you think. During the first software change, many thousands of posts weren't recovered.

The recession had very little to do with the decline in participation there. That period coincides exactly with Al getting fed up, Greg Roberts leaving to start Volti, Bob Crites and Dave Harris getting too busy to post, JCW and Mark1101 going into seclusion, and me getting sick (Jan of 2012). Most new topics were project threads - no one hardly ever went to Technical for set up issues - almost all of those went to 2-channel and the HT Section. 

Most of the arguing on 2-channel back then was not about loudspeakers or politics (which typically happened in The General Section), but about tube amplifier topologies (SET vs PP). Amy and Trey had it set up as opposed to banning us. Initially, there was only about a dozen of us. In fact, Jeff's signature still bears the mark from those days, and it didn't have a damn thing to do with politics or religion!

Without the banter, this place is just plain boring. I would leave for a month and come back and see the same topics on a page, no movement whatsoever. Look at the post count and views of the last three heated threads (this one, The AA thread, and Looking Beyond Passives). 

"Just Jubs" hasn't had a single post in half a year. Why is that?

Maybe because it's a hidden section????

Its tough when all the Heritage products are locked from anything other than incremental improvements preserving PWK's Legacy, and I totally respect that. But what happens when you grow tired of the K's, L's or Belles...you go looking for more which leads you to "boutique" products and mods.  We all can't be Jub owners, and even most that could still will have aesthetic issues for the environment where they want to place them. 

Im guessing that approx. 90% of the Klipsch products sold aren't the Heritage line, but of course, I could be slightly wrong.  Klipsch is in this for the money and thank goodness they always were to become the company they are today and to allow us all to be part of the group here.  I would love to see a totally new, radical release of a over sized, "non selling" tower (or not) with a new horn bass bin that is sporting a 510 mid or something larger and whatever tweet the they offer, but who is going to buy them and would it hurt building something that might steal some glory from the Heritage line?  Not going to happen and it can't happen for this reason.  Why no more Chorus, Quartet or Forte?   These three are some of the best all around plug and plays I have ever heard, but was it the traditional style box that killed them?   Let face it, darn near everything non Klipsch is some sort of  a tower these days.  

I rambled off a bit, but why not embrace the majority here that continue to push and celebrate the Heritage line?  We understand why they are forever locked where they are, but just maybe, maybe one day that Cornwall gets the larger mid horn to match the bass response it deserves and that K-horn gets a larger mid driver with a new bigger horn to fill that top hat. 

Could it ever happen?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That's pretry impressive if true.  I didn't realize they let them play that many junior colleges.

It is absolutely true.  The only JC's they've ever played I think is when some Texas boys traveled up to Ann Arbor, but I think that was back in the 1890's......

4 hours ago, Deang said:

I almost came to the last gathering, but I can't do 95-100 degree days anymore. I really wanted to come too, because I wanted to break a few of Jim's fingers. I have no idea what he had in mind for me. :-)

Ha!  That's good....break a few of my fingers, and you'd be "sleeping with the fishes" in one of Rodney's lakes.....Roy could then use a new lure to reel you in.....

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Suck it up, buttercup.Temps were still pretty moderate this past year, even having the event in May. A little warm in the middle of the day, but nothing is stopping you from going back to the motel.

I don't think the temps broke out of the 80's. It was pretty awesome weather, with cool temps in the evenings!!!

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Ha!  That's good....break a few of my fingers, and you'd be "sleeping with the fishes" in one of Rodney's lakes.....Roy could then use a new lure to reel you in.....

Yowza. Well, no more joking around with you, not until you get some therapy.

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

I don't think the temps broke out of the 80's. It was pretty awesome weather, with cool temps in the evenings!!!

It really was pretty comfortable this past year, not quite as cool as last year, but still not bad.  I was pretty surprised at the lack of mosquitoes and flies, but then, the BBQ's were going nonstop the entire weekend, so maybe the smoke kept them at bay.....ok, with me!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

You're mean Jim. But with an @ss like that it's easy to overlook that, even easier to look it over.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It really was pretty comfortable this past year, not quite as cool as last year, but still not bad.  I was pretty surprised at the lack of mosquitoes and flies, but then, the BBQ's were going nonstop the entire weekend, so maybe the smoke kept them at bay.....ok, with me!

All the time we've spent at Rodney's we have never seen mosquitos. We were there at least ten weeks in total last year. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:50 PM, anarchist said:

I understand the sentiment, but Paul's babies have changed throughout history.  Didn't Paul keep improving his speakers?  So upgrades were still possible, yes?  Didn't Klipsch release the Heresy III?  The Cornwall III?  So upgrades were still possible even then, yes?  Now, I bought Klipsch after first hearing Klipschorns in 1980 or so.  I own Klipschorns that have upgraded cross-overs - by Klipsch no less.

As I said, Klipsch can take action, and you obviously decided on a solution, but I still haven't seen anyone define the problem.  In any case, I don't peddle, so have at it.

Now, personally, I would like tar more aboutblowing the Pro Line and understand what exactly I am listening to at the good theater I frequent.  What's the difference between them and my Heresies, etc.  Which speakers are being used to reproduce all the bass in that theater, etc.

Ah man.  The top line pro theater units are mind blowing for two channel music in the home.