When Did We Become So Wimpy On The Forum?

tidmack

On 9/9/2016 at 4:47 PM, jwc said:

... What about "updating" not "upgrading"? 

OK so no sell upgrades on forum.  But if unlistenable buying vintage Heritage...and Klipsch doesn't have an "update" package...can we discuss "updates" by third party vendors to keep Heritage alive?  W/O calling Heresy!!!!!

In looking at houses for sale, or amplifiers, or microphones, etc., "upgrading" is preferable to "updating," because "updating" is sometimes "downgrading."  The old stuff is sometimes better.  The Klipschorn, with almost all of the same components it has had for a long time, reportedly was preferred to the RF7 II and the Palladium by the Hope audience at the gathering.  Heritage, in general, beats many newly designed speakers by a variety of manufacturers.  Of course, I would consider candidates for true upgrades, but I'd like to hear them first, or at least have the designer/vendor have top measuring equipment and an anechoic chamber, perhaps with a revolving door.  Apparently Chris and Roy have encountered some so called "upgrades," or perhaps merely "updates," that weren't all that "up," grade-wise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

All the time we've spent at Rodney's we have never seen mosquitos. We were there at least ten weeks in total last year. 

That's probably because he commercially sprays half the farm to make sure everybody is comfortable.  No telling what that costs.  

On 9/10/2016 at 9:49 AM, dwilawyer said:

Maybe one way to deal with it is to have someone with technical knowledge (which mine is limited) to be a dedicated moderator of Tech/Mods.  Someone who can call out bullshit.

I spend a lot of time with the Chicago AES chapter where we bring in a bunch of engineering types to talk about their research, passions, whatever...

One of the things I've noticed is that there is not consensus about what is / is not BS.

It's hard to talk about these things abstractly because these end up being very specific topics. For example, I can show you a ceramic capacitor that causes distortion in one circuit, but does not cause distortion in another. Someone who deals with the other circuit might subscribe to the idea that a cap is a cap and it doesn't matter - therefor snake oil. However, someone that deals with the first circuit where capacitor voltage linearity matters will subscribe to the idea that "better caps" are required....and they'll even have data backing it up...

So which ideology do we subscribe to? Do fancy caps make a difference? Some will say yes, some will say no. One of the difficulties with the person saying "no" is that there will always be some finite influence from the non-linear capacitor. The magnitude of this non-linearity can be readily calculated too. However, that little knowledge erodes away at the audiophile pursuit of finding every last drop of performance.

The point isn't to get into a debate about capacitors, but to point out how one perspective of a situation results in an ideology that is not true across the board - and now the audio community suffers from those over limited perspectives. In the meantime, it also breaks down what is otherwise a very fun part of the hobby. Questioning ideas and setting up opportunities to listen is something that brings a lot of people together....and results in bringing friends to these sessions as well where they get exposed to some great sounding stuff.

I'm actually kinda surprised Klipsch doesn't try to capitalize on the tweaker culture...or personal customization if you want to talk about the younger generations. Making things personal is a HUGE part of the hobby. This idea that there is only one way to do anything comes off very confrontational to the next generation. Why doesn't Klipsch make xovers with multiple slopes and make them easy to swap out? I could just see all the shootouts of people comparing which ones they like and comparing them. There are absolutely subjective tradeoffs when choosing xover slopes and different styles of music might benefit from one versus another....

Okay, I've rambled too long.....Klipsch can definitely do whatever they want (and they will). And as much as I'd love to see the real snake oil get ousted entirely, there's a part of me that still wants some of it. It's just part of the magic and if nothing else it affects the emotions of the person doing listening, and if my emotions are different, then I am definitely going to hear things differently. Why is that bias such a bad thing?

• Like 6

On September 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM, oldtimer said:

When does Michigan play a real team?

Probably Oct. 1 when they play the Badgers.  While Michigan is clearly much improved, they had much room for improvement.  The answer to the, "What have you done lately?"question regarding OSU and MSU is, "Not much."  Two victories in the last 20 meetings.   Notice how often the Buckeyes get 42 against the Wolverines.

Michigan has one of the best traditions in college football, but bragging about beating high schools is tiresome. 

October 10, 1891   Ann Arbor High School Ann Arbor Fairgrounds  Ann Arbor, MI W 62–0    

Columbus

Michigan (#7)

Ohio State

Ann Arbor

Michigan (#17)

Ohio State (#9)

Columbus

Michigan (#2)

Ohio State (#1)

Ann Arbor

Michigan (#23)

Ohio State (#7)