college FB 16/ NFL PLAYOFFS 2017

wvu80

I thought they did a dis-service to both the Sugar & Rose bowl games having them after the college playoff games.Both the Oklahoma/Auburn & the Penn State/USC games were more entertaining than the playoffs where Alabama & Clemson dominated. Perhaps it is time to expand the playoff format.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Wow give it a rest Dave

Too soon after the last whistle went silent?  I meant it tongue-in-cheek.  :P

My team got dusted a few weeks ago.  Tonight was just Monday Night Football. B)

9 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Congrats To Clemson! 2017 National Champs. Those two pick plays in the end zone, wow.

I watched the replay this morning on ESPN.  They showed the last play and it definitely wasn't a pic.  It was man coverage.  If AL had played zone there, Clemson probably wouldn't have scored.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

They showed the last play and it definitely wasn't a pic.

Obviously you missed Deshaun Watson's press conference after the game. He said it was a "pick" play! That's the reason you run a pick is to beat MAN coverage, just like in basketball. In this case, the "pick" receiver ended up with his head between the defenders legs in the end zone. Clemson had two called pick plays in the game for two TDs. Yes, they are supposed to be illegal and a penalty. Rarely called by officiating crews in the NFL or College. Clemson got that one right out of New England's playbook.

Deshaun describes the pick here at the 4 minute mark.

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2017/01/10/watson-renfrows-special-postgame-press-conference/

Nate Scott is sports writer for USA Today and a few other outlets. He shared his opinion about that last play. To think he is somehow an authority on college football rules? Now that is funny. :rolleyes:

Per NCAA official: "it occurs when an offensive team player, who is beyond the line of scrimmage, makes contact that interferes with a defensive team player. "It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents." Clemson certainly could have been called for OPI on those plays, but hey it's football. There are lots of missed calls.

First of all, let me state my official, personal opinion;  I really don't care one way or the other.  I'm not a football official, not a college coach.  I don't know and I don't care except as a disinterested college fan.

+++

There are smart people on BOTH sides who argue their side is right.  I 100% guarantee you the Alabama people are screaming about the lousy officiating. 

I've already moved on to basketball, where tonight my tenth ranked WVU Mountaineers are taking on the #1 team in the country, the Baylor Bears.

The Baylor Bears are #1???  :o