Recommendations for speakers?

Beachboy

I'm an older guy firmly committed to two channel stereo for my music listening.  Music interests are classic rock, primarily from FM radio and CD. I do like to occasionally crank it up loud. My current speakers are Infinity SM-105's, which are two way systems with 10" woofers. Frequency response is 35-20,000 Hz.  I previously had JBL L-100's. I'm driving them with a 30 year old Sony 60 wpc receiver.  I may upgrade to an 80 wpc Onkyo stereo receiver in the near figure.  I'm kind of distressed that there seem to no longer be any traditional full range stereo speakers out there.  I don't want to use a subwoofer to get the bass response.  I want a full range speaker capable of deep bass and able to play loud.  I'm leaning towards the Klipsch RF-82 II.  Any thoughts?  I'm also kind of bummed that it seems almost impossible to get speakers in walnut or other woodgrain finishes.  I hate to have black monolithic slabs dominating my small-ish living room, which is outfitted with oak furniture.  Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations you may have.

Edited by Beachboy

If you are in for 2 channel and you want something with decent bass response, my suggestion would be the Cornwall III.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cornwall-iii-floorstanding-speaker

Will provide you plenty of bass with a 3-way/full range design.

Welcome to the madness.

ETA: I would encourage searching for a nice pair used, they can usually be had for between $800 and $1400.

• Like 2

Beachboy, you really should consider some used Klipsch's.

You can find a used pair of Forte's, Forte II's, or kg series 5.2's or 4.2's on craigslist for MUCH less than NEW RF82-II's. You'll be blown away by the distortion-free low end of their passive radiators, ruthless efficiency, and availability in the real wood veneers you seek. The models I mentioned all have impeccable reputations and are still sought after, many years after production has ceased.

In fact, you should even consider the Klipsch Heresy. While the specs suggest they won't play as low as you want, you're going to be surprised at what you hear if you can listen to a pair. These pint-sized brutes will impress you.

This year I dipped my toe into the Klipsch waters with a pair of used Heresy II's and still have a *^%!-eating grin on my face when I listen to them, like right now!

• Moderators

Welcome 

6 hours ago, Beachboy said:

I'm an older guy firmly committed to two channel stereo for my music listening. 

I completely understand, I feel the same way.

Try to find some Cornwalls to have a listen, where do you live, there could be someone not far that would let you listen ?

Ok now I do have a question. Why FM unless you really like the station?  Way to many commercials for me, especially with all the streaming music choices, much more music and only a few commercials. Just wondering 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Ok now I do have a question. Why FM unless you really like the station?...  

I listen to commercial radio at times, I like being connected in real time with another human and the commercials are often local events. 

7 hours ago, IbizaFlame said:

If you are in for 2 channel and you want something with decent bass response, my suggestion would be the Cornwall III.

This, but Heresys and a sub rock out pretty good. 

38 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

Agreed, but op said they don't want a sub.

He did but Heresys with a sub is a cheaper alternative to Cornwalls and to tell you the truth, I feel you can't play music with good bass content without going down into the 20hz range or getting as close as possible. Especially rock at loud levels.  

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I think the Cornwalls and Heresys are way out of my budget, not to mention the room they'd take up in my small living room.  That's one reason I don't want a sub --- there is not room enough to put a sub along the same wall the speakers and other equipment are situated.

I'm constantly on Craig's List, looking for used gear, but there is little if any quality audio gear for sale around here.  I live in a small town in Kansas, and I don't think there are any small independent audio stores in the state anymore.  It's Best Buy or nothing.  And my generation, who got into 2 channel sound, is dying off at a rapid rate.  Home theater is where it's all at now.

Someone asked why I listen to FM.  I like to listen to a mix of music, not the same artist for an hour, such as with a CD or vinyl.  I'm not up to date with technology  and know nothing about streaming or Bluetooth.  No, I don't have a smartphone.  I realize FM does not broadcast the full audio bandwidth -- I think they claim frequency response is 20-15,000 Hz.  Although at my age (65) my ears probably aren't responding to high frequencies that well anymore.

I'm still leaning towards the RF-82's, if I can make my mind up before the sale goes off.  The other option I was looking at were Cerwin-Vega's, but they are sold only online, from what C-V tells me. It may be easier just to live with my Infinity SM-105's and forget about upgrading <sigh>.

Not sure where you live but, here are some Heresy in Kansas City for $400:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/5914073934.html

2 channel listening isn't really dying off.  There are still plenty of people out there who listen to 2 channel audio.  I have 4 2-channel listening environments myself.

If the Heresy are too far for you, the 82's would be at least an okay deal.  I haven't heard them with music, but they shouldn't be terrible by any means.

Hey Beachboy - 

I have to admit the Beachboy moniker put you living near sandy beaches but then I see a small town in Kansas. I'm just outside KC, Kansas side, and have a nice pair of oak Quartets should you be interested. They get little to no play at this point so if you are interested let me know with a PM and we can go from there. 

Sorry to hijack your thread but seeing your having difficulty locating the right Klpsch and possibly being around my vicinity I thought to offer.

Thanks- Rich

• Like 1