drum songs?

Paducah Home Theater

I enjoy the drum work on the Queensryche discs Operation Mindcrime and Empire.

Kind of a weird one but Quiet Riot The Wild and the Young. Banali gets some good distinguishing sounds out of his kit.

I really like the old Black Sabbath drumming from Bill Ward as well. Paranoid, Warning, The Wizard, cool drumming

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

What grip is she learning, traditional or matched grip?  Both seem about equally popular, but I would like to see her learn traditional.  Then if she goes for matched grip it is a very easy transition, but much harder to switch from matched to traditional.

I have no idea, the teacher wanted her to change her grip to something more proper the other day but I have yet to get details on what exactly that entails.  

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Is she learning snare or drum set?

Mostly drum set but I think her teacher is going to want her to do some snare only stuff while reading sheet music.  She really just wants to rock out, really has no desire to get into jazz or other fancy stuff.  She wore out the drums on the Rock Band game for the past two years and really just wants to graduate to the real thing.  That game teaches you more than people realize.  She couldn't even tap her foot to the beat before she started playing it.  

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I hope your daughter goes on to become one of them.

I hope she gets good, finds a lifelong hobby, and is happy, that's most of what I care about.  Her drive is wayyyyy above normal right now, I mostly just hope that it doesn't fizzle completely out.  She's going through this "I'm a badass" stage.  Drum sets are just the tip of the iceberg, she's into jiu-jitsu, kickboxing, dirt bikes, Modern Warfare, pretty much everything a 16 year old boy wants to be into.  Just hoping some of the useful stuff isn't just a phase.  

Just now, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

She wore out the drums on the Rock Band game for the past two years and really just wants to graduate to the real thing.

That's funny, I tried one of those drum rock band games things once several years ago.  I was absolutely terrible.  I couldn't come close to scoring or whatever you are supposed to be able to do on those things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

That's funny, I tried one of those drum rock band games things once several years ago.  I was absolutely terrible.  I couldn't come close to scoring or whatever you are supposed to be able to do on those things.

My older daughter used to play them and thought she was pretty good, but the drummer at church came over one night.  We talked him into playing it expecting about the same as you, but he absolutely killed it, like perfect score on the advanced level, it was ridiculous.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

That game teaches you more than people realize.

I'm with wvu on that one.  If you learn in analog, and plus grew up in analog, you might not be very good at those games.  The main thing I noticed about games like guitar hero and such is that conformity is the name of the game, creativity (in other words just doing it a little differently even if better) is penalized.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm with wvu on that one.  If you learn in analog, and plus grew up in analog, you might not be very good at those games.  The main thing I noticed about games like guitar hero and such is that conformity is the name of the game, creativity (in other words just doing it a little differently even if better) is penalized.

as my acquaintance Captain Beefheart would say, “If you want to be a different fish, you have to jump out of the school."

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The main thing I noticed about games like guitar hero and such is that conformity is the name of the game, creativity (in other words just doing it a little differently even if better) is penalized.

Yeah but if you're on the other end of the spectrum and you can't even tap your foot to the beat, I don't see how it's a bad thing.  It would be like expecting it to encourage impromptu guitar solos to somebody who doesn't know any scales.  

• Moderators

First you do this.  "FOREVAH"  "For like, FOREVER"

"Technique goes so much further than beyond your hands"  "Goes with your posture"

"It's all going to depend on how much time you put into it"  Learn the "rudiment, the fundamentals." "Playing accurate, clean and even."

I'm sure the purists will scoff but I put some felt material actually inside of the snare, that killed the volume like I was looking for.  It still activates the wires but it's a deeper tone and that high frequency pop from the wires isn't nearly as piercing and nothing really lingers.  It doesn't blast through the door any worse than any other drum now.  The resonance of the heads got bumped up though, if you don't hit it very hard you can tell the heads vibrate at a higher frequency probably due to less air volume internally, I'm not sure.  May experiment with different materials, wonder what poly-fill would do.  I'm sure this seems humorous but I'm way more concerned about our ears and my wife's sanity than doing it the proper way.  Surely it's still better than cheap electric drums, I still get a good rebound.  Doing this in conjunction with ear protection, I can bang on them hard for hours like I just did with no discomfort.  

Played that foo fighters song about 20 times, finally figured out the beat by substituting the hi-hat pedal with the ride cymbal so I was just going back and forth between pedals.  My brain accepted that a little better.  I slowly added the ride cymbal at the same beat as the pedal and played that measure over and over again dozens of times, slowly taking the hi hat training wheels away.  Starting to get it now.  It did not compute at first.  

On 1/3/2017 at 5:21 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Does anybody have some songs for easy but fun songs to play drums to where you have to memorize song changes?  My daughter is really picky apparently.  Only been playing a week now but is way beyond the typical MJ's Billie Jean type stuff where you do the same thing the whole song.  She plays these all the time though, some like 10-12 times a day.  

Uptown Funk, Bruno Mars

Raise Your Glass, Pink

Maps, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's

Blank Space, Taylor Swift

Sugar, Maroon 5

sabotage, Beastie Boys

trying to teach her Walk This Way

Any similar ones you can think of?  Not too hard please.  

she should be practicing on s drum pad.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Drum-Practice-Pads.gc

• Like 1

Home

Lessons

Genres

Songs

Articles

Gear

Care

Reviews

Select PageHome Lessons     Beginner     Videos     Rudiments     Techniques     Advanced     Double Bass     Soloing     Ear Training     Kids & Young Children Genres     Blues     Funk     Jazz     Latin     Metal     R & B     Rock Songs Articles Gear Care Reviews     Mike Michalkow’s Drumming System     Learn And Master Drums     Drumeo     The Cobus Method     Moeller Method Secrets     Drum Rudiment System 

HomeBeginner Drum LessonsAre Drum Practice Pads Really Useful?

Are Drum Practice Pads Really Useful?

Every drummer must be familiar with practice pads. They are the little rubber octagons or circles that your drum teacher always used to annoy you with, remember?

Well, your drum teacher might even have been right. Practice pads offer you a portable, comfortable solution for you to improve your drumming skills.

As with anything, practice pads come with their certain advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion, there is a way to eliminate most of the disadvantages and make unpaired use of the advantages.

How Using a One Could Be Useful to You?

Only practicing with your drum kit leads to certain limitations. You are tied to a place and in some cases even a time frame. Using a practice pad your practice schedule easily becomes location independent and it will totally be up to you to decide when you practice.

Practicing using practice pads offer a very convenient way to practice. They are very light weight and silent, so you can even practice your latest chops during the night, you will not disturb the neighborhood.

Drum practice pads are usually manufactured in a way so that their surface has very similar response to that of snare drums. That aspect of theirs makes them a perfect tool to practice rudiments, like rolls or different paradiddles. The importance is a different subject – enough to say that learning to play them perfectly is essential in the evolution of a drummer.

Another advantage of using practice pads is that they highlight even your slightest mistakes. The high volume of acoustic drums might hide some of your rather subtle flaws. Practice pads will not, the rubber surface echoes every tiny mistake you make, helping you to find and diagnose them.

Why Practice Pads Alone Will Not Do The Trick?

One of the advantages of practice pads is that using them you can easily eliminate all the distractions that toms and cymbals represent. This property can also be considered a disadvantage: you will never be able to appropriately practice a beat or a complex fill on your practice pad. In some cases, you just need all the members of the drum kit.

Also, as I said before, the surface of practice pads is reminiscent mostly of snare drums. The different members of the drum kit have different responses. The tension of the drum heads differ, the materials used differ. You cannot practice how to play something on the toms or on one of the cymbals using the practice pad.

Choosing The Proper Pad That Suits Your Needs

Practice pads come in a whole range of different makes, prices and materials. There are more expensive practice pads that feature different surfaces for imitating the different members of the drum. Also, there are electronic practice pads with programmable sound presets.

I am sure there are people who use these pads to their full potential – however, if you have at least somewhat regular access to a drum kit, you have no reason to pay for a fancy practice pad. I have been using a regular seven inch practice pad with no extra features whatsoever for years and it has proven to be more than useful.

My experience only proves that a practice pad is a must for every beginner drummer. A consistent practice routine is obligatory if you want to make progress – and having your practice pad and a pair of drum sticks always close to you will remind you that you have work to do.

How To Practice On Them?

Most people that use drum pads tend to practice rudiments. This is because rudiment practice doesn’t require any specific drum tone as it is purely hand and stick technique based. For this reason many drumline drummers will use pads as way to improve their playing.

If you are planning on practicing rudiments then it’s recommended that you concentrate on the: single stroke roll, double stroke roll, paradiddle, flam and drag. Most of the other rudiments are based on these five movements, and if you can master these initial five then you should be able to pick up the other 35 easily.

Showmanship Drumming

Using pads can provide you with a great way to practice your showmanship drumming. This is commonly referred to as stick tricks, and contains things like: stick spinning, throwing and backsticking. This is very often seen in drumlines, and by learning these tricks you will be able to give yourself a much great sense of coordination.

Overall if you are looking for a good way to be able to practice your drumming without making too much noise, or spending too much on a drum kit then practice pads can provide a brilliant alternative.

Every Type Of Drum Lessons Under The Sun You Can Think Of

Would you like to gain access to an entire library of lessons taught by professional instructors at the comfort of your own home? Drumeo is the most complete database of tutorials ever to be created and will provide you with endless hours of fun.

Related Articles

4 Rules to Abide By to Help You Improve Your Skills

Are the Roland TD-30KV & TD-30K the Best Digital Drum Kits on the Market?

How to Set Up Your Own Drumset Like an Expert

2 Exercises With Quarter Note Drum Fills

We Recommend…

Other On-Topic Lessons

How to Select Proper Drum Sticks From the Music Store

How to Set Up Your Own Drumset Like an Expert

Maintaining Your Passion For Drumming And Make It Part Of Your Life

The Cobus Method Review

Our Exclusive Newsletter!

notified on our 
latest lessons
and download a
free e-book worth
$37 to kickstart your
drums learning!

Email:

Name:

2 Comments

Blake-Reply

November 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Could you recommend a good practice pad for beginners that I could get under $25?

Dennis McCord-Reply

November 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

I would recommend either the Evans RealFeel or the Vic Firth Double Sided Practice Pad. These 2 models are pretty popular and you should be able to get them from your local store easily.

Leave A Comment

Name (required)*

Email (required)*

Website

Comment*

Recent Comments

Michael Aubrecht on Drum Lessons For Kids

Cansu on Articles And General Topics

djtbird on Go Go Rhythms And Patterns to Have Fun With

rattler on Warm Up Exercises to Get Your Body Ready For Drumming

Be Social. Join Us!

About Dennis McCord

I had been an avid drummer ever since my dad taught me how to play the drums at an age of 18 from my basement. This website is created to provide a free resource for would-be drummers.

Other Links

Contact Us

Submit a Lesson!

Terms Of Use

Privacy

FTC Disclosure

DrumsPlayerWorld.com © Copyright 2014 | Dennis McCord Productions