drum songs?

Paducah Home Theater

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Agree, and I can assure you she's had some training.  She is "monkey drumming" (high arms) and showing some style and flash, but she is solid rhythmicly and has good wrist technique.

The girl is also playing very easy beats, all single stroke rolls.  All quarter notes.

This is the video that caught my attention.  I don't know what exactly she's doing starting at 1:11 but it trips me out.  If you slow it down it seems to be mostly a basic paradiddle between the hi-hat and snare.  I don't know what I'm talking about either though.  

I wasn't a drummer, but my exposure to them and observations jazz, rock, and other drummers has been that the best basis is the 13 rudiments.  Like any music, best way to break the rules is to know what they are and why you are breaking them.

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

This is the video that caught my attention.  I don't know what exactly she's doing starting at 1:11 but it trips me out.  If you slow it down it seems to be mostly a basic paradiddle between the hi-hat and snare.  

OK, the work in this vid is two notches up!  The girl can play! :)

That's why we have to be picky.   Most of the songs I listed are actually stupid simple beats.  The song changes keeps it interesting for her is all.  

Ah, now I see what you're saying.  You just want a variety of songs for her to play with.  Have her keep going with the Youtube vids she likes.  I love that the young girl in the vids is a role model for her.

(you're going to love this next part)

I also highly suggest you play her the songs YOU like.  If she doesn't like the songs recorded when dinosaurs roamed the earth, then just move on.  But you know what good music is like, share it with her. 

Have fun, both of you.  B)

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I also highly suggest you play her the songs YOU like.  If she doesn't like the songs recorded when dinosaurs roamed the earth, then just move on.  But you know what good music is like, share it with her. 

Have fun, both of you.  B)

I'm hoping to get to the point where I can belt out some Smells Like Teen Spirit but it's a little above my pay grade right now, just too fast.  I can't do two things at once quite yet.  Depressing that this is often considered to be a beginner's song.  I can't do it at all, at least not the right way.  Having trouble playing the intro at speed plus the paradiddle between the snare and bass during the chorus at speed.  It sounds easy but I'm having a real hard time with it, my brain doesn't think like a drummer quite yet.  

2 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I'm hoping to get to the point where I can belt out some Smells Like Teen Spirit but it's a little above my pay grade right now, just too fast.  I can't do two things at once quite yet.  Depressing that this is often considered to be a beginner's song.  I can't do it at all, at least not the right way.  Having trouble playing the intro at speed plus the paradiddle between the snare and bass during the chorus at speed.  It sounds easy but I'm having a real hard time with it, my brain doesn't think like a drummer quite yet.  

Only you can decide if you want to go there.  Do you really want to be more like me?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Sing it as you play it: Paradiddle Paraddle Paraddle Paraddle

LOL

It all makes sense now, doesn't it?  :D

We drummers speak a language that only we can understand. 

• Like 1