What I Got Today!

Brac

All I can say is since I have sensitive speakers and hiss really annoys me and masks what I want to hear and impacts the realism so greatly, I wouldn't touch any of the amps I linked to except the AHB2.  Also, it makes sense to me to have an amp with 132dB of dynamic range as I love dynamic range, and now at least I'm not limited by my amp anymore.

I didn't post them, but if you click on the articles, look at the IMD plots.  Intermodulation distortion should be your enemy, and it is highly audible for lower frequencies.  Too bad we don't see any low frequency IMD measurements in the reviews, cause I suspect we have no idea how bad the other amps are.  IMD matters because music has multiple frequencies playing at anyone instance.

$3k AHB2:

1115BAHB2fig12.jpg

$30k ML:

617ML536fig10.jpg

$11k Pass Labs XA60.5:

114PA605fig10.jpg.e60d248e316da99116d03555f5824385.jpg

31 minutes ago, richieb said:

And while we're at it if indeed they are what you and others say then compared to Pass Labs gear, Levinson, etc. they would be considered a bargain in today's hi-end market. Pass Labs new monos, depending on circuit class and power can easily fetch into the 10's of thousands. And now that price has been brought in they are a bargain when compared to the big Mac gear. But lets not start the Mac vs. Pass vs. Levinson vs. etc. debate. That's a rabbit hole one never emerges from.

Hey etc6849. Not here to question your choices or toy with you. Did you place the Palladiums that close together using the scientific research process that you used to gather your audio equipment? Or did you place them that way out of a trial and error process and found that they sound better closer together rather than further apart?

I have a pair of P38s that are pretty close together but only because of space limitations. In a couple months we are changing up our living room and will be moving the whole stereo and subsequently, the speakers will have more area that I can have a little leeway as far as being able to move them further apart.  

I tend to think that many manuf. intentionally tailor those measurements to meet a desired sound signature. Whether Pass or Levinson et al do I wouldn't know. A recessed or pronounced measurement in certain bandwidths is perhaps not happenstance or bungled design but a desired result. 

Quoting specifications sounds a little bit like famous last words. There are synergistic qualities that are unquantifieable, though many attemp to use scientific measurements was illustrations and explanations.

The main thing.... personal enjoyment, because in the end, you're the one paying the bills.

Nice speakers!  I have them close together to avoid being near side walls; even if you have to have two swap your room around, it is worth giving them space or adding absorption on the side walls.  I also like to do a equilateral triangle, but if you can't just angle them inward more to compensate.  I always aim them at my ears and also lift the back up a little, although I am not sure how tall the P38f's are, might not need to do anything.  My speakers definitely sounded much better with more space around them.

8 hours ago, gottajam said:

Hey etc6849. Not here to question your choices or toy with you. Did you place the Palladiums that close together using the scientific research process that you used to gather your audio equipment? Or did you place them that way out of a trial and error process and found that they sound better closer together rather than further apart?

I have a pair of P38s that are pretty close together but only because of space limitations. In a couple months we are changing up our living room and will be moving the whole stereo and subsequently, the speakers will have more area that I can have a little leeway as far as being able to move them further apart.  

----- you mean Rat Bastard ?! For the first time ever I had to set traps in my garage and think I've got 'em beat. I was thinking about sharpening the kill bar and cut the f'ers in half. But when one was caught by only the leg I quickly saw the leg would be in the trap and the mouse gone. So much for going medieval on the little c--k s----rs. 

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

----- you mean Rat Bastard ?! For the first time ever I had to set traps in my garage and think I've got 'em beat. I was thinking about sharpening the kill bar and cut the f'ers in half. But when one was caught by only the leg I quickly saw the leg would be in the trap and the mouse gone. So much for going medieval on the little c--k s----rs. 

Get some sticky traps.

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Get some sticky traps.

I actually tried those first. The Only thing I caught was a two foot long snake of some sort. Never saw a snake that big in my yard before or since. I'm wondering if indeed a mouse was in the trap and the snake heard it and when going in for a snack got stuck in the trap too. Never no mind - put the snake out of its and my misery with an ax. Not much of the snake guy -- 

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

Never no mind - put the snake out of its and my misery with an ax. Not much of the snake guy -- 

My wife is the same way as you, but I think the opposite. 

Usually if you have a snake problem, you don't have a mouse problem.  B)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My wife is the same way as you, but I think the opposite. 

Usually if you have a snake problem, you don't have a mouse problem.  B)

I agree, we had a four foot black rat snake living under my kids basketball net base. He showed up as soon as I moved the net near the street where I kept it all summer. He returned about five years in a row and in that time we had no mice, no moles, and very few chipmunks around the house. Summer before last he ended up going into my next door neighbor's pond to get a frog, or fish....and he got sucked into the filter. I miss him now, and the moles are back...

2 minutes ago, teaman said:

Summer before last he ended up going into my next door neighbor's pond to get a frog, or fish....and he got sucked into the filter. I miss him now, and the moles are back...

I Hate moles.  Capital H. They ruin the yard.  :mad:

• Like 2