NCAAF

oldtimer

Watching the FOX coverage prior to Lions Viking game and promos for Ohio State vs Michigan while on NordicTrack and listening to Stones, I'm reminded of how annoying "Super Fans" are.  Few things or people annoy me more than the Buckeyes' Big Nut, Jon Peters.  To the best of my knowledge he never so much as smelled the inside of a classroom at OSU.  It's my perception that the most annoying fans did not attend, let alone graduate from, the institutions for which they excessively emote.  My own alma mater is not without similar, IMO, annoying parasitic fans.  

"Johnny Spirit" is, IMO, an homage to mental illness.  I mean really, get a life, it's just football, basketball, etc.  He used to wear only green paint at games in November,  How did he not get pneumonia?  Now, at least, he has sense enough to wear a green body stocking.  I don't wish him ill, I just wish he and his ilk would stay home and keep quiet. YMMV

JohnnySpirit_display_image.jpg

fe4398bd-9db4-4fbf-81c8-160bf2970ae8_crop.jpg

• Like 1

I think you're being a bit  harsh on the Nut.

He explains himself here on being a Buckeye fan. That makes him 2 degrees of separation for an OSU grad

http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2010/12/05/10-Questions-with-Jon-The-Big-Nut-Peters.html

“My grandfather was an Ohio State grad in agriculture, and he took me to my first game in 1976. It left a lasting impression on me. I loved the atmosphere, the electricity in the air, and the way all the Buckeyes' fans were enjoying themselves so much.”

"The Big Nut has used his fame to help a number of charitable causes, including being part of raising money for a new scholarship fund."

Are you an alum of your favorite team?

Not me. I became a PSU fan 4 years ago when my daughter enrolled.

That and writing out checks to the school 3 times a year for 4 years will do it.

Heck, I feel like I'm part owner considering what I paid:lol:

I graduated from St John's University in Queens, NY. During me years there, we went to the Final Fours in 1985 only to lose to Georgetown  in the 1st round.

Fell  into obscurity ever since

Go Redmen!  

Name changed to Red Storm a short while later. Guess they were ahead of their time

I am a loyal fan of my first alma mater.  Going to every game in the marching band, playing until your callouses get callouses, and yelling until you're hoarse will do that.  We didn't win much back then, but the Horned Frogs have been back in the top 25 more often than not in the Patterson era.

• Like 1

I totally agree Neil, the more annoying the "fan" the less likely they went there. If I had a nickel for every Notre Dame super fan I've met I could have paid for my tuition at Michigan. 

UofM can save their season on Saturday. I don't care about playoff implications for the big 10. I want Harbaugh to get the OSU monkey off his back.

• Like 1

The phenomenon seems to occur with big schools that either use the state name, or have captured the media attention over the years.  I see the same with UT (the real UT not Tennessee).  People who could never hope to be admitted there are huge fans.  The same with Tamu.  Oh, they say, my cousin went there so I am a fan.  Uh huh.

My Godfather went to UT.  I am still not a fan.  My Dad and my step-sister went to Tamu.  I am still not a fan.  Now, keep in mind there is a parallel, and/or precedent with the pro game.  So who are we to draw the line?  If someone wants to enjoy the game, and be annoying in the process, I would hesitate to bother about it.  Maybe, just maybe, it keeps them from a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

I don’t have a problem with rooting for a college team without having graduated from, or even attending, the school, just don’t be obnoxious about it.

When a college friend’s son, Bobby Newcombe, played for Nebraska, I attended a game in Lincoln against Texas A&M.  A direct connection to the University is not required to be a Husker fan,  since it’s the only game in the state.  Nebraskans are, generally, ardent fans without being rude or obnoxious.