NCAAF

oldtimer

18 hours ago, DizRotus said:

My sister-in-law teaches reading to adults, mostly immigrants for whom English is a second language.  She has also taught reading to former scholarship football player graduates of MSU and UM who could only read at 4th grade level.  It’s criminal that high schools and colleges produce “graduates” unable to read above 4th grade.

To put things into perspective, her youngest son was a walk-on tight end at Arizona. Academics were not his strength.  He benefitted from the academic support available to the football team.  Admitting those who need assistance to get up to speed is OK, whether or not athletes, but graduating people who can’t read is wrong.

If you want an even bigger laugh, look up the average IQ of pro football players, pretty sad.

I can’t say for certain that any team is one of the 4 best teams in the country.  Ten best yes.  The conference championships are the de facto first round of the CFP.  Ohio State won that round by beating undefeated Wisconsin.  Alabama lost in the play-in round to Auburn, which advanced to the first round to lose badly to Georgia.  Could Alabama beat any of the likely CFP teams?  Of course they could, but they demononstrated they can also lose.  Tournaments are one and done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I just hope the committee gives us the "4 best football teams" in the country. Anything short of that is less than what they're supposed to do.

I will take the slightly opposite view on this.  I don't want two SEC teams in the final four.  I want teams from 4 of the 5 power conferences.  The SEC gets one selection, in this case Georgia then it's someone else's turn.  Alabama's best win was against Miss State.  Big deal.

Ohio State gave up 55 points to Iowa (4-5 in the conference, 4th in the Big 10 West) in a horrendous 30 point blowout.  They also have 2 losses on their schedule.  Pass.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see the Pac 10 champion in there.  Southern Cal has a great blind resume losing only to two ranked teams and Notre Dame tromped them.  Still, Go Trojans.

13 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

No, they beat #3 FSU and unfortunately took out their awesome quarterback doing it.

What?  Are you referring to Florida State?  You mean 6-6 Florida State, sixth place in the ACC Atlantic division who had to beat Louisiana Monroe in the last game of the season to become bowl eligible? 

Yeah, that was a real signature win for Alabama.

C'mon, man.   :P

19 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Did you forget last year? OSU didn't win their championship but made the final 4.

No.  I’m not implying that Ohio State is better than Alabama.  I’m predicting that, and why, the CFP committee will pick Ohio State over Alabama.  

I would actually prefer Alabama.  IMO, the B1G Conference is overrated.  It, like its historically strong teams, has a weakness of living in the past.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I would actually prefer Alabama.  IMO, the B1G Conference is overrated.  It, like its historically strong teams, has a weakness of living in the past.

There are quite a few NFL teams with Big 10 players.  Great players make great teams.

I was surprised to see my WVU Mountaineers had 24 players in the NFL.  I didn't know we had that many felons.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-09-07/colleges-most-represented-2017-nfl-opening-day-rosters

Louisiana State 51
Florida 45
Southern California 45
Alabama 44
Miami (Fl.) 44
Ohio State 42
Florida State 40
Clemson 38
Georgia 38
Michigan 35
Auburn 34
Oklahoma 33
California 32
Wisconsin 32
Notre Dame 31
Utah 31
Penn State 30
UCLA 30
Michigan State 29
Tennessee 29
Texas 29
Texas A&M 29
Stanford 28
Arkansas 27
Nebraska 27
Oregon 27
Iowa 26
North Carolina 26
Oregon State 25
South Carolina 25
Louisville 24
West Virginia 24
Mississippi 23
Pittsburgh 23
Washington 23
Missouri 22
Boise State 21
Virginia 21
TCU 20
Illinois 17
Mississippi State 17
Rutgers 16
Baylor 15
Boston College 15
Cincinnati 15
Georgia Tech 15
NC State 15
Connecticut 14
Virginia Tech 14
Arizona 13
Arizona State 13
Central Florida 13
Colorado 13
Houston 13
Oklahoma State 13
SMU 13
Temple 13
Utah State 13
Louisiana Tech 12
Maryland 12
Memphis 12
Northwestern 12
Purdue 12
South Florida 12
Southern Mississippi 12
Toledo 12
Brigham Young 11
Central Michigan 11
Fresno State 11
Kansas State 11
Kentucky 11
San Diego State 11
Texas Tech 11
Vanderbilt 11
Duke 10

32 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Apparently I'm right, top 4 again. :o

I fully admit, you were right, again.  B)

I really didn't think think Ohio State would jump from 8th into 4th.  With Alabama in, the Committee got the best four teams, four one-loss teams.

I'm rooting for Oklahoma, as I am a Big 12 homer. 

The Sooner's Baker Mayfield should win the Heisman.  He doesn't have a prototypical NFL sized body he might not even go in the first round of the draft.  He absolutely has an NFL arm.

+++

The big most anticipated matchup of course is West Virginia vs Utah in the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl at the Historic Cotton bowl. 

It's such a nothing game even the Heart of Dallas Bowl website didn't even bother to update their website with the names of the two participating teams!  :lol:

http://www.theheartofdallasbowl.com/

• Like 1