March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

38 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I have no patience for the fans who have no connection to the university, so-called Walmart Wolverines.

LOL!  :lol:

I have a connection to the Wolverines because

1) I used to read Marvel comics X-Men

2) They have a tremendous marching band, the best playing band in the Big Ten.  Their school of music is top notch.

3) Michigan stole our coach.  Beilein coached WVU and then left for Michigan.  That's how we had an opening for Huggy Bear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm, I have connections to the  ichigan program too but living in Ohio...  :)  No better band than OSU's imo!   Beilein is a great coach and right now it's like a feeding frenzy for them, which is great!  Now it's time to support the B1G...  It's just a game...  It's whoever is hot and I do wish Blue well.  Would be great to bring that trophy back into the B1G!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

No better band than OSU's imo! 

OSU has an all-brass band, so points to you on that.  It takes (Klipsch) horns to play horns!

My knock on the band was the snare line with the goofy high slung drums, a stylistic holdover from the civil war.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-27-at-2.36.21-AM-2b6

Maybe I'm out of date.  Did they finally transition to a modern drum line?  :o

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I've actually seen them use both, but for the most part they're lower now.  The recent Director is the reason most probably.  They also use a computerized "flow" with each band member for their shows.   Everything is computer generated by one person somehow, which eliminates the old "block" type marching for their half-time shows  Each member has their own marching diagram on an ipad...  Therefore, the show actually flows like moving stick figures or whatever during their half-time shows.  That's why the NFL sent them to London a couple years ago to do the half-time show.  They killed it.  To my knowledge no other college band uses software to generate their shows.  It's like a crypto-clearance to find out who actually generates and plots the shows.  No one seems to know who the master-mind is!!   

It DOES take Klipsch horns to play horns!  :)

• Like 1

Welllllll WVU80, I've spent some time on youtube looking at the OSU band stuff and they haven't changed a thing.  It seems as though the snares etc. are supported by the waistband, which can be lowered somewhat if you lower the crossed suspenders they wear.  Soooo, I guess that Civil War holdover applies!  They are very much military in style when they march.  Good catch!  In 25 years of shooting in the stadium I guess I saw it and never really thought much about it.  Get the photos and get the heck outta there before it's over if you can!  lol  

14 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

No bb talk today?  Everyone's team must be out.  Going to watch tonight?

--- well we know for sure yours is ?!? How about jumpin' in with me and Roy's old boys -- Rock Chalk ?!? Surely there's kinda sorta a connection there ??

Loyola Chicago beat Tennessee Tech by 69 during the 63 tournament.  That 69 point margin of victory is still the NCAA Tournament record.  They were down by 15 points to the Cincinnati Bearcats, the two time defending champions, before emerging victorious.  The Ramblers did not substitute during the championship game; the same five players played the entire game.  Loyola Chicago is the ONLY team from the state of Illinois to win the NCAA Tournament.

Bob Newhart is an alumnus.

54 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Loyola Chicago is the ONLY team from the state of Illinois to win the NCAA Tournament.

Really?  I would not have guessed that.  I would have thought with all the great teams they have had that Illinois would have one a championship.

+++

Two min left to half, Michigan hasn't realized what a mismatch they have with their big guy inside.  They keep gunning 3's then sprint back to defend, they don't rebound.  Coach Beilein had that style offense at West Virginia as well.

One of the great fight songs!

+++

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!