Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
W27

70th anniversary La Scala II

Recommended Posts

Nice, glad to hear ying/yang made it.  Fyi, I found where  #2  pair is located(serial no. 0003 and 0004).    They are up in Pennsylvania.  Asking price  $13,999 for the pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41690812450_7c0b733944_k.jpg

28612449167_696ed91b17_k.jpg

41690804450_111019ecf3_k.jpg

41690803670_8101df56bb_k.jpg

42594172485_a64a04ed85_k.jpg

 

I probably won't get to the opening until the weekend. I also want to open them up (the top hat) and take a close look at the crossover and compare them.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" I really listen over 85db

 

I'm not sure if that was supposed to say, I rarely listen over 85 dB? If that is the case, seriously?   You bought LA scalas to listen at 85 dB?   I would never buy an Enzo Ferrari to drive 14 mph.... That's just me.   Hope you like the speakers but..... Perhaps Vienna acoustics may be better suited? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have much to learn...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I do, but not in this area.    I am INTIMATELY familiar with dB levels per OSHA requirements for years... Just interesting to me.   I don't know many people that own klipsch and listen to them that quietly more often than not.   I'm not saying they blast them at 100+ dB regularly but.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The set we listen to everyday is about the size of 3 sets of LaScalas and we rarely get above 85 Db, we do, but not regularly. 

 

For us it's about how it sounds, it sounds huge, anything can get loud but not everything can sound like this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are listened to at a volume between 75-80db because I want to be able to enjoy them when im 90



Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pete Mote said:

Nice, glad to hear ying/yang made it.  Fyi, I found where  #2  pair is located(serial no. 0003 and 0004).    They are up in Pennsylvania.  Asking price  $13,999 for the pair.

It was very hard to turn down but at one time I had the chance to buy # 1 and #2 of the new version of Lascala 2 at a great price. The first 2 made, problem was we were there to pick up 2 402 horns with drivers and a EV DX38 to finish off our speakers and did not have the money to also buy the LaScalas, this was tough but an easy decision.

5 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Mine are listened to at a volume between 75-80db because I want to be able to enjoy them when im 90

emoji6.png

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
 

Well I'm not worried about age 90, I will never see it. Hearing damage is not as bad as one might expect just from volume, it is duration as much as volume, a combination, all day at 90 Db is another thing. Look online I lost my bookmark but there are charts that are very easy to figure out, it's more than you would expect to cause damage.

 

It's just how we listen, sometimes yes the house shakes, but on average no.  It is playing an average of 7-8  hours a day, sometimes much more so it's not like a normal listening session, we are self employed and home during the day and it's always on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schu said:

41690812450_7c0b733944_k.jpg

28612449167_696ed91b17_k.jpg

41690804450_111019ecf3_k.jpg

41690803670_8101df56bb_k.jpg

42594172485_a64a04ed85_k.jpg

 

I probably won't get to the opening until the weekend. I also want to open them up (the top hat) and take a close look at the crossover and compare them.

The boxes don't look in top notch shape,...I hope the speakers are fine.  the dust indicates they were sitting for a ' long while" somewhere dusty, really dusty.... Good Luck, I Hope mine will be in good shape when they come in .., fingers crossed 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, how hard is it for a distributor to sweep a box off before shipping? I know it doesn't affect the contents but you would think that the guy shrink wrapping them would have some company pride. Maybe the "white glove" service would of cared...:)

 

Enjoy!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest wdecho
On 7/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, Sonicman said:

wdecho, cool, I buy that. 

Pete switched them, and he seems happy. 

Can I switch gears? Pete, others, what about the low end? What are you finding in the bass bottom?  51hz seems high as I'm coming off a low of 34hz I believe with my speakers. Do you feel a sub is going to be necessary?

Depends on how much you like bass. Horn bass is far superior to any other way to produce bass. Quick, dynamic almost like the highs in that respect. I think a good quality sub is beneficial to the over all presentation but I listened with my LaScala's without a sub for decades. The bass LaScala's do make is outstanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest wdecho
5 hours ago, TasDom said:

Wow, how hard is it for a distributor to sweep a box off before shipping? I know it doesn't affect the contents but you would think that the guy shrink wrapping them would have some company pride. Maybe the "white glove" service would of cared...:)

 

Enjoy!

A large warehouse is usually understaffed, penny pincers behind the scenes working to cut every corner, and the workers have a tremendous amounts of incoming and outgoing shipments everyday to unload, inventory everything in shipment, and put in place where it can be found when needed. Then they must keep up with every out going shipment for the day on a timely basis. Most of the time it is all they can do to keep up with the orders everyday. Just saying, cutting the warehouse workers some slack. The main concern in the warehouse is and should be making sure the product is unloaded safely, stored safely and shipped safely. I agree it would be a much nicer appearance if they were clean but the main thing is that the product has arrived without damage.

 

Shu, from experience with shipping companies and warehouses it would be best for you to immediately open the boxes and inspect the speakers for damage and to quickly file a claim if there is some. From pictures they appear to be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks... I am contemplating doing that today.

The dust really doesn't bother me to much... it cleaned right off and the cardboard under the original wrap was in really good condition. 

What troubles me is the couple of box punctures, although the box damage doesn't look to have gotten to the speakers themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I'm sure I do, but not in this area.    I am INTIMATELY familiar with dB levels per OSHA requirements for years... Just interesting to me.   I don't know many people that own klipsch and listen to them that quietly more often than not.   I'm not saying they blast them at 100+ dB regularly but.... 

 

The Facebook group is full of 100dB+ers, but there's a great deal of folk around here that hover in the 75-85dB area, myself included. Dynamic range is more important to me than peak loudness numbers on a meter, and there's a ton of detail that you hear at lower volumes which can be lost if you focus on blasting the speakers.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest wdecho
9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

 

The Facebook group is full of 100dB+ers, but there's a great deal of folk around here that hover in the 75-85dB area, myself included. Dynamic range is more important to me than peak loudness numbers on a meter, and there's a ton of detail that you hear at lower volumes which can be lost if you focus on blasting the speakers.

What you say?  😀 

 

I use to listen at concert levels but now I enjoy at a much lower level which will not damage my hearing. With proper equipment the volume does not to be at the extreme to produce a room filling soundstage. I would never buy a extreme slope crossover where the volume has to be turned up high to come alive. Even at very low volumes with most every amp I own I have I have a great soundstage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schu said:

What troubles me is the couple of box punctures

 

 

When I got my LaScalas, I arrived at the dealer (in 1979)  When he brought them out, he had a sheepish/terrified (?) look on his face (I don't remember!)

 

Long story short, one of the boxes had evidently been impaled by a fork truck...  someone gave it a karate kick....  SOMETHING happened to it and there was a glaring hole in it, maybe six inches in diameter?  (again, been long time)

 

As luck would have it....whatever punctured the box went through in the mouth of the horn so nothing was touched or even scratched even though it looked like it would have been trashed.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Coytee said:

As luck would have it....whatever punctured the box went through in the mouth of the horn so nothing was touched or even scratched even though it looked like it would have been trashed.

 

wow, what luck, eh?  do ya (did ya) feel lucky? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...