Volcanic action in Hawaii.

Shiva

You look about you and everything looks relatively peaceful and calm, but underneath all of us is a molten ball of fire waiting to quake and erupt. God Bless and protect them and all of us.

How fragile we are.

My cousin lives on the Big Island. I tried to call her yesterday with no success but I think the problems were on my end. I will try again today.

That is really crazy. I think the slowness is what really makes it strange. With a forest fire you have to get out of the area and it blows through but with lava you can literally sit in a lawn chair with a beer and watch the inevitable destruction creep toward your house.  I am glad there have been no injuries so far. I looked it up and I guess that they do provide plenty of warning and educate the risks when you buy a property in this area.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, babadono said:

Well all the "stuff" that is coming out of the earth in Hawaii has to come from somewhere.♻️

Without this happening Hawaii would not even be there, but now that it is it would be surprising to see your yard open up and flood everything with melted rock, kind of ruin your day.

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

@oldtimer, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Hawaii and Its islands. Does this impact you and family at all?

if the wind shifts, you will hear the term VOG [volcano fog]  from the other islands if the gases get there.

historically

there have been large chunks of the BigIsland "slip" into the ocean and cause tsumami. We heard of a sea cliff falling on this last "go".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

@oldtimer, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Hawaii and Its islands. Does this impact you and family at all?

If you were addressing me:

While my Brother does live on that Island, known as the big Island, he is not anywhere near the volcanic event. I think I am more interested in it than he is.  Its not often, one gets to use the words Volcanic and Lava in a sentence.  As well, when lava is still underground, we can refer to it as "Magma."   I recently viewed a tv show where a guy took the temp. of a boiling lave pool, 1600 degrees! There is still a lot of radiant heat coming off of that creeping flow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

If you were addressing me:

While my Brother does live on that Island, known as the big Island, he is not anywhere near the volcanic event. I think I am more interested in it than he is.  Its not often, one gets to use the words Volcanic and Lava in a sentence.  As well, when lava is still underground, we can refer to it as "Magma."   I recently viewed a tv show where a guy took the temp. of a boiling lave pool, 1600 degrees! There is still a lot of radiant heat coming off of that creeping flow. 

It would be nice if you could figure out how to get the diamonds and gold out of that hot lava.

JJK

--- must people buy separate volcano insurance when living in that region? Or is that covered within an "act of nature" scenario? I'm thinking similar to separate flood insurance policies when living in a known flood plain ? Insurance companies being what they are I'm sure this has not gotten by them --?!

• Like 1