Anyone else have spec um mess with them?

JohnJ

--- we have a "local" cable company based in Cali and offed in the few states where they bought the existing service. I pay $85/month for TV and interweb. Each year when my bill goes up I go to their office, voice my concern and instead of a 15% increase they find an "available" discount plan that might be another few bucks. I think they may have a note in my file from a past encounter with the local GM who saw me in the parking lot carrying all my boxes into the office. He was curious what I was doing and I explained my continued rate increases coupled with crap service and I was finished. Things went very smoothly after that ---

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

I'm going to wait until after the Spectrum all digital system takes effect. If my non cable box TVs don't work then to BestBuy I will go. I'll probably try one Roku at first just to see if I like it.

All digital with spec  um means wide black frame around the picture on your tv. Our 1020 16X9 55" was great five years ago, most every triple digit channel filled the screen with a great 120hz picture.

Since then lots and lots of channel have not had that all important HD after the call letters.😆

Ask your brother about that and unfortunately time will tell for you!

Collect your calm, peaceful thoughts, think adult-like (hard for me) and tell `em.....

Take off...Eh? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

All digital with spec  um means wide black frame around the picture on your tv. Our 1020 16X9 55" was great five years ago, most every triple digit channel filled the screen with a great 120hz picture.

Since then lots and lots of channel have not had that all important HD after the call letters.😆

Collect your calm, peaceful thoughts, think adult-like (hard for me) and tell `em.....

Take off...Eh? 

Ha!  Welllll, it's actually my brother-in-law and he's ALWAYS  the one "on top of EVERYthing!"  ALL the answers ALL the time. I just sit and smile a lot.  Patience is a virtue???  😎

• Like 1

I use an RCA Yagi antenna in the attic.  It was super easy to install.  I found the coax connection to the TV in the attic and simply plugged it into my antenna.  I rotated it to point toward Angleton (where all the broadcasting towers are).  Now, I get 120 channels in HD for free OTA.  Same old thing - "57 channels and nothing on..."   That's why I can't see why anyone would pay $100/mo. to watch the boob toob.  You must really like TV to pay so dearly for it.  To each his own.  I find the content on cable to be as abominable as that which is OTA.  I use TV for background while I surf the net.  Sometimes, something interesting will be on to watch - like a good PBS show, or something.

I can corroborate Carl and say that I am getting great reception from about 40 miles from the towers.  The model antenna I have is this one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Mine as well.  We don't have near as many stations as you do but the ones we do have come in perfectly. 

My antenna is 17 feet long. (Yeah, I know, I heard that on the News somewhere if you know what I mean)

JJK

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Take off...Eh? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's the spirit @dirtmudd

SCTV !

17 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

That's why I can't see why anyone would pay $100/mo. to watch the boob toob.  You must really like TV to pay so dearly for it.  To each his own.  I find the content on cable to be as abominable as that which is OTA.  I use TV for background while I surf the net.  Sometimes, something interesting will be on to watch - like a good PBS show, or something.

Jeff you are right and my decisions are tempered by more that just myself.

Main point is they've been &ic*%n> me around for too long, now I'll probably have the same on the screen quadruple the internet speed for less money.

Frugal no. Better YES.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 9:17 AM, joessportster said:

I have been OTA TV for years now, we live in the boondocks and get ABC, CBS, CW, & Fox as well as the local PBS all in HD, as for internet thats a PITA here only land service is windstream and they only guarantee 1mbps (can you remember dial up) they SUCK, I ended up with the new hughes net which I regret on a daily basis, my cell phones tether is faster 80% of the time.

Guess thats what I get for living in the sticks.

Hello Joe, Hope things went well this week with your dark Cornscalas and trip for the dream single drivers.

When we were talking and I googled your place I could recognize you do not have neighbors that have to wait until between songs to knock on your door!

Plus maybe it's dark at night? I haven't had that since since I lived down at the Cape.

The yin & the yang always comes into play doesn't it?

Good Day to ya man!

Spec um made the change last nite here!  Ha...  Lost about 2 hours of viewing but not my internet so deducting that from my bill and THEN I actually looked to see what program I was on with them...  How in the %3() did I get put on the "GOLD" plan?  I certainly would NEVER upgrade to 269 channels and since I'm the only one watching....  Sooooo VERY soon I'm making a call...  Yea, ,it's on me but how it happened I certainly don't know.  Wondered why my bill went up so much when they first bought out Time Warner in this area...  ON IT!  Grrrrrrrrr

Also heard on fb that there were lines out the door in Cbus this morning w/ppl getting adapters for TV's with just a few returning their cable boxes...  So we shall see...  I'm actually thinking about talking more w/a guy who puts up towers and antenna's...  He told me once he could get darn near everything I'd ever need from an antenna...  Time to nose a bit...  😎

• Confused 1

Yea I cut the cable over year ago. So glad to tell ATT to Kiss MY A**....also told them same thing on the cell bill. I still got them for Internet and house phone because wife needs phone for work from home. 

I got ant. from Parts Express with an old rotor from the 80s still works. I tried Hulu but last Nov. they changed something and now wont work with my smart DVD player. They said i needed to change devices I told them sounds like I need to change providers ''BYE''. 

Since last November cable cutters are in the 300,000.  I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. Hell they practically beg me to sign back up,  but I know how they work...bill is low for 6 months then BAM 160 dollar bill. NEVER AGAIN will i sign up period. 

ATT would work with me over the years to keep bill reasonable but the last time I called the long term customer number they just said ''well we are getting rid of U-verse and we cant lower your bill ''. I said fine cut it off BYE. Now the guy comes around...OH NO ,YOU CAN HAVE U-VERSE......HAHAHA.....I said you guys screwed up...lol.  I bet in 2 years cable companies will be gone people cant afford it.

I went to straight talk cell for 36 a month from ATT for 76 a month. Even then ATT store basically told me to F*** off when I asked for help there after waiting probably an hour for help. So glad I never have to go into that store ever again. Cant wait to see ATT go out of business. I see young people paying 200 to 300 for cell phone they are crazy. 

On ant. TV I get 3 KCPT channels the REV'N channel. Could do with out all the bible thumping channels but I got Netflix and a laptop so can watch almost anything. Except CBS they will not let you watch their stuff on the laptop with out a fee so we just watch those shows when they are on. Or we just got to Redbox and rent a movie watch it at home on a better sound system stop it when we want or back it up if we miss something.....Bye movie theaters with 10 dollar popcorn....lol. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

What is everyone streaming....

On their smart tv's ?

And what are your thoughts...

About streaming tv ?

I think you can stream anything that is on the internet.  I've been streaming the NBA play-offs.  It's not quite as good as OTA because internet speed is sometimes too slow and you get a brief "wait" hourglass icon while the video spools to catch up.  Not too much interruption like that, but some. 

Hey Mike, we do HBOgo &  SHOany and find some stuff that spec  um makes us pay for in on demand for free. My brother has Netflix and Roku stuff with different profiles for the kids, but they watch about six hours a week. Here it's on 3 hrs daily average.

The problem is that way I have to reconfigure the sound for the tv through the remote and move the coax and audio cables from the YAH RX1100 back to the tv.

Then listen to the crap speakers in the two inch thick tv. It's totally unacceptable like that. 

Miss my old Sony 32HV600 it had backfiring woofers and made to fit in a corner it could thump! The Trinitrons never failed to give me my money's worth, one lasted twenty years, an Emerson square 20 incher monitor!

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Hey Mike, we do HBOgo &  SHOany and find some stuff that spec  um makes us pay for in on demand for free. My brother has Netflix and Roku stuff with different profiles for the kids, but they watch about six hours a week. Here it's on 3 hrs daily average.

The problem is that way I have to reconfigure the sound for the tv through the remote and move the coax from the YAH RX1100 back to the tv.

Then listen to the crap speakers in the two inch thick tv. It's totally unacceptable like that. 

Miss my old Sony 32HV600 it had backfiring woofers and made to fit in a corner it could thump! The Trinitrons never failed to give me my money's worth, one lasted twenty years, an Emerson square 20 incher monitor!

Just bought a 4k smart tv ...

Haven't takin it out of the box yet..

Have to get a wall hanger...

And a antenna.... Time to cut the cable cord of life....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw this out just in case anyone makes the mistake of going with att.

They are totalm#nbull!

We made the switch last week, the internet is faster, win10 updated once since and the download portion of it was a lot quicker. I can tell when it's going to happen because all the fans in the box ramp up way higher than normal.

Att sales person flat out lied to me about ondemand channels, he said we would get them...I asked explicitly.

We don't.

You can go to channel 0 that opens an app or portal with menu on left and pictorial boxes on the right. When hbo & showtime had a total of 30 or 40 titles to choose between them instead of hundreds each that is a sampling.

They are letting me out of the "contract" without financial repercussions. Google fiber has practically shut down here, all the digging has stopped on my side of town. The big monopolies have almost shut them down. Construction was at an almost furious pace for 18 months or so. Do not know if it will happen at all now.

Back to spectrum, we'll have company this weekend from Thursday on so they will come out Monday and fix us up again.

We'll keep the new "E" addresses, spam dropped by 98% plus I get the emails from this forum again!

• Like 2