Super MWM

Dave A

12 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Gary Gillum built all the John Allen MWM's, with PWK's blessing. Since he's the co-patent holder, along with Paul Klipsch, one could hardly call them "knockoffs."

True but they did not get to use the Klipsch logo either. In any case I figure the the motorboard cutout must be just like Klipsch.

• Like 1

Playing further with this and using Audacity for tone generation I find this thing goes down to a solid 27 to 28hz and by 30hz the whole building is moving. Playing Pink Floyd last night and being amazed at how many underlying bass tracks I had been missing with the MWM bins.

Oddly enough something is perceptible at 20hz and while you can't hear it you can begin to feel it and by 25hz hear and feel but it is way down in db output. I have a pair of K-33's here I might switch out to just to see what happens. I think I need a good thunderstorm recording to play for victims that stop in.

The right answer is I don't need any MORE subs.

16 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Play ( thunder road ) by Garth Brooks

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

This is just a 9 foot MWM-like woofer section vs. a 6 foot MWM. I'm glad to see DaveA is finding that it matches my simulations in Hornresp, of which there were several before the final one. I'll post another sim for the this using a K33, just to see, but I don't think it will perform as well at 500 Hz. as the K43 does, which is what I discovered when I put K43's in my LaScalas about 11 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Claude, the dual MWMs I'm picking up have k43s. Would the k33s be better for use in the house?

Bruce

Yes. Gary Gillum, former Klipsch Chief Engineer who developed the MWM, told me they were designed for the K33, but they had to put K43's in there to survive the stupid PA sound guys who put KILOWATTS of power into them, when 100 would scare small animals and children. I"m guessing the reason my simulation above shows the K43 NOT to be superior at the high end is probably because Dave's Super MWM has a narrower dispersion at higher frequencies, but I'm not sure. Only measurements will tell.

In fact, if you can get square magnet K33 P woofers, those were the best and what I had in my MWMs.

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Lower bottom end? The problem at first is I will temp. be using a passive crossover expecting a 4 ohm woofer (2 8 ohm K43 in parallel)

K 43's are 4 ohm. But If you have GOOD K43's already, it may not be worth the trouble for K33's since you can EQ the K43's for the slight differences. I only did the curve for DaveA, since he has both already in his inventory."  I would try what you have first.

20 hours ago, Dave A said:

Playing further with this and using Audacity for tone generation I find this thing goes down to a solid 27 to 28hz and by 30hz the whole building is moving. Playing Pink Floyd last night and being amazed at how many underlying bass tracks I had been missing with the MWM bins.

That's why I had VMPS large subs with my MWMs, until my daughters cat peed on them and ruined the subs.

17 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Lower bottom end? The problem at first is I will temp. be using a passive crossover expecting a 4 ohm woofer (2 8 ohm K43 in parallel)

Those K43's should be cast frame.....  but Since you have a more recent model MWM in your possession,   The impedance of those drivers might be different.

May not be worth the cost to swap out.

Dave, you gonna be able to run a curve on these?  I'm sure they will go low.  However, I'd like to see if any big dips after 100Hz..... as that long horn has no vertical expansion.

6 minutes ago, jwc said:

Those K43's should be cast frame.....  but Since you have a more recent model MWM in your possession,   The impedance of those drivers might be different.

May not be worth the cost to swap out.

I agree.

5 minutes ago, jwc said:

Dave, you gonna be able to run a curve on these?  I'm sure they will go low.  However, I'd like to see if any big dips after 100Hz..... as that long horn has no vertical expansion.

It's a "diffraction horn" with a floor reflector. LOL. Any dips will be overwhelmed by the room and can be EQ's out since he's going active.