Let the tomato insanity begin!!

jimjimbo

This is just the first load...my wife is going back out to the in-laws farm tomorrow for more tomatoes and the first batch of green beans.  She canned a case of pickles this past weekend.  More to come.

These will turn into salsa, marinara, and special bloody mary mix.....Close to 120lbs right there, plus another 80lbs in the back seat.

IMG_5216 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That bloody mary mix is none too shabby.

We're going to try a different recipe this year.  I wasn't too pleased with the result last year, although some folks were ok with it....I thought it tasted a little too "vegetal", "green pepper", "celery"....I will of course bring a bunch to Hope again....

6 hours ago, richieb said:

=== I’m trying to calculate how many pounds of bacon required to support that many pounds of ‘maters? Hard to do my “naughts + naught” while listening to these “beautiful” Jubes. 

Yes, I'm sure they are quite distracting.....

23 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

We're going to try a different recipe this year.  I wasn't too pleased with the result last year, although some folks were ok with it....I thought it tasted a little too "vegetal", "green pepper", "celery"....I will of course bring a bunch to Hope again....

I'm not a big bloody Mary drinker so I guess I don't know a good one when I taste it but I really enjoyed last year's offering.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm not a big bloody Mary drinker so I guess I don't know a good one when I taste it but I really enjoyed last year's offering.

Thanks Cqrl.  We (Shelly) works hard at getting things right, so it's a learning process.  Appreciate your kind words.

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

This is just the first load...my wife is going back out to the in-laws farm tomorrow for more tomatoes and the first batch of green beans.  She canned a case of pickles this past weekend.  More to come.

These will turn into salsa, marinara, and special bloody mary mix.....Close to 120lbs right there, plus another 80lbs in the back seat.

IMG_5216 (Medium).JPG

Beefsteaks.. I have some kosher salt,

Fresh ground pepper, fresh basil , e.v.o.o. , fresh mozz... And some fresh squeezed lemon juice....

And some balsamic vinegar...

Those tomatoes look like softball size...

9 hours ago, richieb said:

=== I’m trying to calculate how many pounds of bacon required to support that many pounds of ‘maters? Hard to do my “naughts + naught” while listening to these “beautiful” Jubes. 

I have BLT and tomato or bean with bacon soup at least once a week. Tomatoes are one of Earth's finest foods at their best...but their best is also one of the Earth's rarest these days. California and Florida Frankentomatoes are bred to last forever and look good...but they are awful.

Dave