Lava lamps WHAT is the current latest and greatest?

MEH Synergy

No I think enough has been said to be shown about that topic, yet, more to follow...feed your head and watch the shadows of the lava warm you in the shadows...the shadow knows much that is, left unsaid...enjoy. Cast a giant shadow...

47 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sounds like lava lamp it is.  Thanks guys.   Those salt crystal lamps are cool too, but don't they tend to leak a little when it is humid if I remember right? 

A couple of fun facts about salt lamps, they are said to be mined in caves in the foothills of the Himalayas and are 250 million years old.   As they are made of salt, they do pull moisture from the air, which evaporates when the lamp is on and warm. When off, you may find a bit of water pooling around the base.  The remedy for that is to just place them on a glass dish of some kind. This one has been sitting in my bedroom for the last 10 years or so.  Also, if you don't like them, you can crush them up, toss them in a bath for a soak, or put them on your food.  Try that with a lava lamp.😀

0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, billybob said:

Has anyone ever figured out where the light source eminates from and what it is...

BTW, the base looks for the world like one of those last century ash trays...alright.

The salt lamp?  It just plugs into the wall socket and has a small bulb in it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Has anyone ever figured out where the light source eminates from and what it is...

BTW, the base looks for the world like one of those last century ash trays...alright.

Lava Lamp? Its just a light bulb in the base that heads the liquid and goo/wax inside the closed container. My glass part is sealed up with a bottle top like a beer bottle. I always get an urge to grab an opener when I take the plastic cover off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rplace said:

Lava Lamp? Its just a light bulb in the base that heads the liquid and goo/wax inside the closed container. My glass part is sealed up with a bottle top like a beer bottle. I always get an urge to grab an opener when I take the plastic cover off.

Mine takes forever to get moving. Maybe it's an el cheapo. And heck to the no on leaving that thing on...

1 minute ago, wstrickland1 said:

Mine takes forever to get moving. Maybe it's an el cheapo. And heck to the no on leaving that thing on...

How long is forever? My sister is 12 years older than me so I'm quite sure she had one of the originals from the 60s or very early 70s. I got one as  present in the early 90s. They both take about 45 minutes to really get going.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes they need a speedy lava lamp, like the real thing. Dang waiting on a lamp for...ever.

Will resist popping the top. Probably just distilled vodka and crazy dough...

Pretty sure it was wax inside so I checked. More than you would ever want to know here https://topex.ucsd.edu/es10/lectures/lecture14/lecture14.html

The vertical flow of wax blobs in a lava lamp illustrates the three main modes of heat transport, radiation, convection, and conduction. These also important heat transfer mechanisms in the Earth so it us useful to understand the physics of the Lava Lamp. Examine the diagram and try to answer the 7 questions.

• Thanks 1

This site has several different plasma lights that are also sound activated and will sync to the music you're playing.

looks like there is a video on each one to preview as well.

http://www.locomolife.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_77_92&products_id=881&zenid=8i434cb96k0fj5tukj5f1efsc6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rplace said:

How long is forever? My sister is 12 years older than me so I'm quite sure she had one of the originals from the 60s or very early 70s. I got one as  present in the early 90s. They both take about 45 minutes to really get going.

I think it takes a bit longer but maybe thats about right.  I'm an impatient bastage

• Like 1