Lava lamps WHAT is the current latest and greatest?

MEH Synergy

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If I remember correctly @Tigerman is our inhouse lava lamp expert.  This guy can spot a certain era lava lamp from picture taken across the room.  I love my lava lamp and can't wait to finish my basement so it can flow again.

I believe he has a wall full of them doesn't he?

2 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Purple liquid with pink “Lava” tough to get the color right in pic. I love these things. I remember them from when I was a kid in the sixties, they were new, hip, & cool. I was blown away.

F96B3478-C7C8-4ED9-9EF6-B5AEE08FD4AB.jpeg

HA!   Thanks to David over in RTM, he directed me to this forum topic.... This looks like a  'new' lamp, the cap would be made of aluminum, and all black which makes it  the 'midnight' series and most likely a 20 oz. globe made in China...   There, I have made my assessment from the photo....  ENJOY !   :emotion-21: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Tigerman you were certainly spot on about the “new” and the 20oz seems about right. The photo steered you wrong on the color. It’s a plain aluminum model. Good job on being a Lava Lamp expert. I now realize that my knowledge on them is limited. I’m off too educate myself. Feel free to steer me in the right direction. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

@Tigerman you were certainly spot on about the “new” and the 20oz seems about right. The photo steered you wrong on the color. It’s a plain aluminum model. Good job on being a Lava Lamp expert. I now realize that my knowledge on them is limited. I’m off too educate myself. Feel free to steer me in the right direction. 

Yes sir, be glad to.....

......yes, I could not see ANY silver finish, as it was too dark...   The brushed aluminum is called 'Silver Streak'...

The original lamp came out in 1965...  I actually have one of them, it was the first lamp for me back about 15 years ago or so.  Sorry to say, someone along the way changed out the 'guts' in the globe.  HOWEVER, the base and globe are correct for the year.  Next oldest lamp is from 1972...   Most from these dates are worn out, faded and discolored, abused buy kids and simply don't work any longer..  The Century 100 was the original model followed by the Aristocrat ...  52 oz. was the standard...     

Now, in the current times, the company released the original Century AGAIN, and I picked one up..  it is a pretty good attempt at the original and I keep that here in the studio.   They even added a DIMMER in the cord !   

I also have the very original company product that started the craze from the UK...  (Mathmos)  I bought one while in the UK on vacation and was able to order another shortly there after while back home (it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the UK version here in the states, but I managed to make a connection and had one shipped)  Of course, I have a special power supply to run them at 240 VAC....

I can go on and on.  But that should do you for now...

Start HERE: https://lavalamp.com/

and then go HERE for the Mathomos lamps:http://www.mathmos.com/mathmos-usa.html   

PS. WANRING!  you can go crazy with this stuff !  :wacko2:    :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh hell! I’ve been nerding out for the last hour or so. I’ve already been trying to sort out out who I know in England that can hook me up with one from the original company. Still in business! I am surprised that there are still serviceable original  ones left. I’d have thought they’d be all faded and discolored after so many years. Very much appreciate the info. It’s always good to learn that there is more to a simple thing than one thought. Thank you. 

• Like 2

Ok, let me add what is going on right now in Music Hall..............a Sunday night session spinning Larry Fast on clear vinyl....   I have the NEW Century 100 up and running here for the first time.  So, here is a 'vibe' photo taken moments ago.....     Enjoy   🍷DSCN9203.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...