Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

1 hour ago, TasDom said:

Hey now, them spreadsheets ain't easy! :P

Uhhh...now you don't know that, at least not for sure...do you?  :ph34r:

+++

I just read the rtings.com chart for size/viewing distance.  Even though I want the higher quality and higher rated Viz PQ65 (8.2) at the $1400 price point, the chart sez at my viewing distance of 10' (sometimes 13') a 75" is the ideal size which is coming in at $1500 these days, LG, Samsung and Vizio, all three models rated around 7.4.

I saw the 75's a few days ago, did not see the Viz PQ65.  The 75's looked pretty dang good, especially the Samsung models.  LG's has the least bright PQ, at least in the store.  All looked good.

16 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

just get ready for black Friday tv sales.. and camp out

or do the cyber Monday ... and hope you get a new tv..

I read this earlier today.... it's still crossing my mind... as I wonder who (perhaps wvu80) will be camped out in front of the Sam's Club at 4am on Black Friday, in his leather computer chair with 5 ball bearing roller's, complete with the GT red and black stitching, hoping to get a $350 discount on a 70" (insert OLED or something) television, which will eventually be discounted next year for a carry out price of $200 when next years' new fandangled products are launched.....  . o O (grin)

. o O (a trailer load of flatscreen tv's measuring over 65") hmmmm - I wonder how those fit on a 40x48" pallet, especially on a slow container ship from china....then in a dark warehouse with 22 part time guy's and a 5000 lb forklift with no space to spare.... has anyone ever seen an "undented" box before, and just thought that's an innocent blunder...  oh yeah... at 4am, when you're in a crowd too (to save a couple of dollar's) ....

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== Here here ! By the time this trigger is pulled the TV he buys will already be obsolete ! Time for the next evaluation - OMG !!

Chant my mantra after me, as it's only a few more days to..."Black Friday, Cyber Monday...Black Friday, Cyber Monday..." 

Ohmmm....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, windashine said:

I read this earlier today.... it's still crossing my mind... as I wonder who (perhaps wvu80) will be camped out in front of the Sam's Club at 4am on Black Friday, in his leather computer chair with 5 ball bearing roller's, complete with the GT red and black stitching, hoping to get a $350 discount on a 70" (insert OLED or something) television, which will eventually be discounted next year for a carry out price of $200 when next years' new fandangled products are launched.....  . o O (grin)

maybe he has a spreadsheet..

on the average price drop on tvs...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, windashine said:

as I wonder who (perhaps wvu80) will be camped out in front of the Sam's Club at 4am on Black Friday,

in his leather computer chair with 5 ball bearing roller's, complete with the GT red and black stitching,

That was just a lucky guess!  As uh, actually, I really do need a new chair for the mancave, thinking something for a big guy, high back executive style, bonded leather.

81SOvTJC1pL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been pricing them for months, budget of $200.  The GT red and black gaming chairs do look cool and I'm open to suggestions. :emotion-21:

And yes, I do have a spreadsheet for chairs as well.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Classic case of paralysis by analysis. 

No, it's not a "classic" case, I'm just waiting for the Black Friday prices to drop into my budget price range!  :angry2:

Oh, wait, that's analysis, isn't it?  :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

No, it's not a "classic" case, I'm just waiting for the Black Friday prices to drop into my budget price range!  :angry2:

Oh, wait, that's analysis, isn't it?  :ph34r:

You have to be really careful buying on Black Friday.  Many times tv/camera/PC/tool makers will put out special items for door busters.  They look very similar to the normal items but will have less features.  Tools may have smaller batteries, PC's have less RAM, TV's lose options etc.  Be sure you compare apples to apples and double check item numbers.  Manufacturers have gotten really good at this game.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That was just a lucky guess!  As uh, actually, I really do need a new chair for the mancave, thinking something for a big guy, high back executive style, bonded leather.

81SOvTJC1pL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been pricing them for months, budget of $200.  The GT red and black gaming chairs do look cool and I'm open to suggestions. :emotion-21:

And yes, I do have a spreadsheet for chairs as well.  :rolleyes:

=== please tell us this isn’t morphing into a “chair died, asss asking for recommendations” thread — 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Many times tv/camera/PC/tool makers will put out special items for door busters.  They look very similar to the normal items but will have less features.  Tools may have smaller batteries, PC's have less RAM, TV's lose options etc.  Be sure you compare apples to apples and double check item numbers.

You're right and that's a good reminder.  A few years ago when I was looking for Black Friday cordless drill set for my son I was surpised to find that brand name companies would make Black Friday ONLY products, and in the case of the cordless drill it was just like you said.  Reviews complained of batteries that would not hold a charge longer than a few minutes and would not charge back up, with drill components that were not high quality and they would wear out and wobble after only a short period of time.

I like to think in my case I am looking at TV models which have been out for a while but reading further upstream I have to watch out of manufacturers who are dumping TV's with known flaws back into the Black Friday sales using ridiculously low prices to get rid of them.