Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
ODS123

Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Ski Bum said:

I think it's Shakey, Tiz, and Dave who should start their own forum,

Good idea.  That way way you won’t have to hear any opinions or about any experiences other than those that are the same as yours.  By the way I don’t have to prove anything to you. Whatsoever. I have my own experiences, and I choose to share them in this forum.  You should join a forum for “audiophiles” that can only hear the difference between measurements.  That should make for some interesting reading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, Interesting discussion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, EBEB said:

@ODS123 just bought these second hand Forte I three days ago 🙂 so no amp yet 🙂

 

You have a DJ mixer and no amplifier?

 

Forte seems kind of small for that room - unless you sit close. 

 

Find a used QSC PLX series amplifier. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Deang said:

Forte seems kind of small for that room - unless you sit close.  

 

I don't know... I have HIIs in a 20x23 room with 10 ft ceilings. Of course the LaScalas will do better once I get them back together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EBEB said:

@ODS123 just bought these second hand Forte I three days ago 🙂 so no amp yet 🙂

 

 

I'd personally look for an integrated amp.  As far as I'm concerned separate pre-amp & amps offer no audible advantage.  So why deal with extra boxes and cable clutter if there isn't a performance upside?  Separates also add expense AND they CAN present more hiss/hum problems b/c they introduce more connection & grounding points.  

 

If you plan on incorporating a sub be sure your integrated has provisions for that.  Onkyo, Yamaha, NAD, Emotiva..(and others) all have reasonably affordable offerings. ($300-$500).  All of these (I believe) also have tone and balance controls, something I feel are essential to enjoying as much of your music library as possible.  ..But you may not care for these features, which is fine of course.  There are even cheaper offerings on Amazon that may work well but the brands are so obscure that you may have challenges getting them serviced.

 

As for wattage requirement, take a look at this wattage calculator.  ..Thanks to your speakers high efficiency, it's hard to imagine ANY amplifier or AVR being unable to meet your SPL requirements.

 

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calculator-amp-speaker-spl/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He already has a “preamp” - his mixer. All he needs is an amplifier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deang said:

He already has a “preamp” - his mixer. All he needs is an amplifier. 

 

It is a very nice $3k mixer... Should work well with a QSC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been inviting Jeff here but so far ha has not appeared. You might mention to him he is needed here and I bet 200 pages will be doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You talking to me?  I don't know who Jeff is, at least not as "Jeff."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes talking to you. Jeff D. Medwin of capacitor fame and I think he would be a real asset to this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh.  Yes, I concur wholeheartedly!  I rather doubt he'd venture this way on my recommendation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would risk banishment to drive him off the forum. What a maroon. Good grief. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 7:32 PM, Tizman said:

Good idea.  That way way you won’t have to hear any opinions or about any experiences other than those that are the same as yours.  By the way I don’t have to prove anything to you. Whatsoever. I have my own experiences, and I choose to share them in this forum.  You should join a forum for “audiophiles” that can only hear the difference between measurements.  That should make for some interesting reading.

There's that stubborn ferocity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 1:31 PM, Ski Bum said:

I think it's Shakey, Tiz, and Dave who should start their own forum, where they can bask in the warmth of validation from fellow golden ears, free from the unwelcome intrusion of rationalism, and more concerned with happy fun shopping time, as they share anecdotes from their respective "buy and try" primrose paths of blind consumerism. 

Yeah sure, you’re rational.  That’s what makes you comfortable suggesting forum members go elsewhere.  Whatever.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 11:28 AM, Fish said:

I'm gonna start by saying what I know about caps would not fill a small sticky note. I certainly don't think all amps sound the same....but.... I do have a ? Do caps all sound the same if they have the same values/specs ? I recall Bob Carvers challenge to stereophile I think it was. He said he could equal Conrad Johnson sound for 1/10 the cost. He challenged anyone to pick the CJ consistently. Stereophile admitted no one could pick the difference, except they preferred the Carver. I post from memory but I think that was the basics of it.

 

I suppose my point was Bob always refuted the high dollar caps etc....But, maybe cheap caps don't last or perform as intended for  years/decades? 

Technically there isn't an ear that has the consistency of any refined stereo. I have a pair of ear that are 65 years of age. Every year I get them examined and plotted by frequency/level. Compared to any stereo they are only as good as a home made pair of headphones. I am at an advantage compared to most people, I know what to do with that information. Regardless though, as I said, about  hearing consistency, those little auditory canals are no better than the drain on your sink. They are a closed end system. They are as responsive as you take care of them.  If you've never seen your hearing chart you don't know squat. First of all your hearing response is typical from 250 hz to 8 khz. So all this mumbo-jumbo about 20 to 20khz is a figment of imagination so to speak. Your hearing levels of 250 to 8000 hx can range from 0-110 db. So rather than flap your jaws, use your brain and learn a spell.The best speakers are a set of headphones and a small precise sound replicator. They don't cost no 60,000 dollars. maybe a good set cost 500.  Ask your audiologist what happens to your ears when you attend a George Thorogood concert and stand only 20 feet from the grandstand or even Transiberian.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kymano54 said:

Technically there isn't an ear that has the consistency of any refined stereo. I have a pair of ear that are 65 years of age. Every year I get them examined and plotted by frequency/level. Compared to any stereo they are only as good as a home made pair of headphones. I am at an advantage compared to most people, I know what to do with that information. Regardless though, as I said, about  hearing consistency, those little auditory canals are no better than the drain on your sink. They are a closed end system. They are as responsive as you take care of them.  If you've never seen your hearing chart you don't know squat. First of all your hearing response is typical from 250 hz to 8 khz. So all this mumbo-jumbo about 20 to 20khz is a figment of imagination so to speak. Your hearing levels of 250 to 8000 hx can range from 0-110 db. So rather than flap your jaws, use your brain and learn a spell.The best speakers are a set of headphones and a small precise sound replicator. They don't cost no 60,000 dollars. maybe a good set cost 500.  Ask your audiologist what happens to your ears when you attend a George Thorogood concert and stand only 20 feet from the grandstand or even Transiberian.

 

 

I like this guy already!

 

Protect your hearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 5:31 AM, Kymano54 said:

Technically there isn't an ear that has the consistency of any refined stereo. I have a pair of ear that are 65 years of age. Every year I get them examined and plotted by frequency/level. Compared to any stereo they are only as good as a home made pair of headphones. I am at an advantage compared to most people, I know what to do with that information. Regardless though, as I said, about  hearing consistency, those little auditory canals are no better than the drain on your sink. They are a closed end system. They are as responsive as you take care of them.  If you've never seen your hearing chart you don't know squat. First of all your hearing response is typical from 250 hz to 8 khz. So all this mumbo-jumbo about 20 to 20khz is a figment of imagination so to speak. Your hearing levels of 250 to 8000 hx can range from 0-110 db. So rather than flap your jaws, use your brain and learn a spell.The best speakers are a set of headphones and a small precise sound replicator. They don't cost no 60,000 dollars. maybe a good set cost 500.  Ask your audiologist what happens to your ears when you attend a George Thorogood concert and stand only 20 feet from the grandstand or even Transiberian.

Classic, I don't get here often but this guy should fit in . I have NO IDEA what that statement has to do with my point, which was a scientific type ? I always get a laugh out of completely crazy stuff, thanks.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow page 107 on the thread that won't die! OK my contribution today is "MDF MDF rah rah rah, pro gear sucks pro gear sucks sis boob bah!" 🥳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...