Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

39 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

As for these ATC’s, while I’ve not taken the time to do so I can almost promise that a google search on these speakers will yield reviews (user and/ or magazine) where the reviews states “these speakers easily allowed me to hear differences b/w amplifiers” as the statement seems to be part of every speaker review.  And that none of the setup provisos called out here for tainting the test were mentioned. 

They are high end, perhaps revealing, but it doesn't appear they were used in a setup that meets the intended use. Near field is near field and it makes a difference in how they will sound and here differences, whether in a mix or listening your favorite cd. There are enough people on this forum who have worked in studios and know the difference. There are a lot of speakers they could have used for a larger setup/listening environment. If you don't get that, you are only here to try to be the winner of a nonexistant argument.

"

There are enough people on this forum who have worked in studios and know the difference. There are a lot of speakers they could have used for a larger setup/listening environment. If you don't get that, you are only here to try to be the winner of a nonexistant argument."

You know I concur with that 😏

32 minutes ago, Marvel said:

They are high end, perhaps revealing, but it doesn't appear they were used in a setup that meets the intended use. Near field is near field and it makes a difference in how they will sound and here differences, whether in a mix or listening your favorite cd. There are enough people on this forum who have worked in studios and know the difference. There are a lot of speakers they could have used for a larger setup/listening environment. If you don't get that, you are only here to try to be the winner of a nonexistant argument.

Looking at the owners manual the only recommendation regarding placement distance offered is that they NOT be set on the console but rather somewhere out in front.  ..This suggests a distance probably not much different from what is seen in the club's test. 

3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Simply not true.  ..Check multiple sources, not just your supplier.  ..Perhaps he thought you meant particle board, or a LDF.

I know what i am talking about and so does the lumberyard,  maybe you should read your link a bit better as well.

" The actual weight of plywood varies by product and manufacturer which can make it challenging to predict the weight perfectly. "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

=== now that this excruciatingly tedious thread has turned to the lumber yards I think it appropriate to hand the remainder of comments to Paul Bunyon and his ox Blue. Their insight will be as welcomed as any — 

— or maybe this will kill this thing - don’t pay the Red and Blue Bastards until they get their good for nothing arses back to work. Trump sucks, Pelosi sucks, Dems are great, Repubs are great, build that wall, tear down that wall, immigration sucks, we are all immigrants, this thread sucks, this thread is so insightful — 

I’m trying - you’re welcome 

5 minutes ago, richieb said:

this thread is so insightful — 

Ha! I wouldn't call it insightful but I appreciate the new guys attempt at calling out Bullshit when he sees it. :) 

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

Dems are great, Repubs are great,

I think you are half right and wish we could delve into that subject further--None of us win when we let "the establishment" call the shots. After all,  we live in the Information Age and when these topics are discussed civilly folks can learn something about their fellow human beings instead of the politicians and talking heads.

12 minutes ago, richieb said:

I’m trying - you’re welcome 

Me too and you are welcome.  

=== neither one of is trying hard enough to get this shut down on page 20. Please try harder - then I’ll thank you —

I guess I could take you on the comment “ you are half right” to my “dems are great, repubs are great”. Very cloak and dagger and oh so clever. Golly gee, you lefties are so nuanced - and So hard to keep up with — 

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

It's just that as a group we men are such right fighters!  We can't help it, it's just our nature.  🤓

Interesting. Fwiw, fighting for the sake of fighting isn't something I enjoy and it saddens me we can't carry on the important discussions we had going for almost 15 years, while we gave our opinion on audio/Klipsch related matters. My 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'll admit I have had some free time on my hands while approx. 12 hrs ahead while in the Philippines. Still, I'm out of this thread unless something meaningfull finally shpws up. Other that the regulars who show up...

Bruce

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, ODS123 said:

A few weeks ago I urged beginners to heavily skew their spending toward speakers by suggesting that audible differences b/w modern amplifiers that are engineered to be linear (which is pretty much ALL solid-state and any good tube amps these days) will sound pretty much alike.

I don't know anything about tube amps but agree with the sentiment above. I only listen to multichannel material and feel that choosing a processor by it's capabilities and user needs is something to consider after speakers are decided on and power requirements are met...Insofar as Home Theater is concerned, there are some very good AVRs out there that can accomplish what most people are expecting from the hobby...If money is no object go all out but my best advice to the beginner is start with a realistic budget and work backwards from there. My 2 cents. :) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, richieb said:

Golly gee, you lefties are so nuanced - and So hard to keep up with — 

I left enough nuance as not to take sides politically but see you can't help yourself. That's cool too. Otoh, you seem to be the type of individual who also gets something out of political discussions and whom I like to engage. :) Btw, I am not a "lefty."  

EDIT Note: I am not trying to get this thread shut down.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I don't know anything about tube amps but agree with the sentiment above. I only listen to multichannel material and feel that choosing a processor by it's capabilities and user needs is something to consider after speakers are decided on and power requirements are met...Insofar as Home Theater is concerned, there are some very good AVRs out there that can accomplish what most people are expecting from the hobby...If money is no object go all out but my best advice to the beginner is start with a realistic budget and work backwards from there. My 2 cents. :) 

Exactly.  ..And though I'm not particularly interested in tube amps any longer, beginners can certainly include tube amps in the mix as they as they go out and make  BLINDED, and VOLUME MATCHED comparisons b/w amps and AVRs.