Why music started sucking, it's science......

Fish

On 2/2/2019 at 1:19 AM, sunburnwilly said:

Jeez the generations before you said the same thing about your choices 

Not sure I totally get that. The generations before me had hardly any musical science and the recording equipment and gear were not even developed. The point was mainly quality of music, not just types.  I had Zero friends that listened to music from the 1920's in the 60/70s, not even my parents. There are millions of 20/30 year olds that listen to music from the 60/70s, 

• Like 2

Prejudiced and biased towards recent music...

Conversely, all 60s music sounds the same. Rolling Stones are just a Beatles clone. Coltrane is just one of many sax players out there, they all sound the same and play the same tune over and over again. Baroque music? Who cares, variations on the same theme...

Young musical talent has access to affordable gear that is much much better than ever before. So let's stay optimistic. John Lennon reportedly once said: "I'm an artist. You give me a ****ing tuba, I'll get you something out of it."

35 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Conversely, all 60s music sounds the same. Rolling Stones are just a Beatles clone. Coltrane is just one of many sax players out there, they all sound the same and play the same tune over and over again. Baroque music? Who cares, variations on the same theme...

Young musical talent has access to affordable gear that is much much better than ever before. So let's stay optimistic. John Lennon reportedly once said: "I'm an artist. You give me a ****ing tuba, I'll get you something out of it."

I can safely say that I do not agree with anything that you say above.

JJK

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

How is this even possible...please elaborate...

• Like 1

Very good video. Risk averse labels and formulas - pretty much back to the late 1950s when  people bought singles rather than albums. I have some young co-workers who live through their phones. All about songs (singles). Put on an album and they no longer have the patience to sit and listen to one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

How is this even possible...please elaborate...

My previous post was meant to be sarcastic.

The person in the video is biased and prejudiced towards what he calls modern music. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Conversely, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder too.To my 80 year old mother, all rock music sounds the same, from Pink Floyd over ACDC to Bon Jovi and Metallica. In the video, a similar generalisation towards 'modern music' is proposed.

The guy in the video obviously doesn't like 'modern music' - btw, is that a new genre?

To build his argumentation, he uses un-referenced pseudo-science of Spanish origin (!)...

By doing that, he ignores all the wonderful music, uncompressed music that some young talent produces every day of the week, anno 2019.

He prefers to live in the past and he tries to convince us we should do the same.

Also, he ignores the fact that most of his 'old' music was recorded and played back on terribly sounding gear: bad microphones, bad amps, bad radios (compared to contemporary technology). Most of the people in the 1960s enjoying their music were no audiophiles and few would have access to high end klipsch speakers....

More than 2000 years ago, Plato/Socrates complained about the terrible taste of the younger generation. This guy is no different, and he's wrong...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Very good video. Risk averse labels and formulas - pretty much back to the late 1950s when  people bought singles rather than albums. I have some young co-workers who live through their phones. All about songs (singles). Put on an album and they no longer have the patience to sit and listen to one.

So, you're saying that 'singles' is something modern or something very old???

Come on, singles go as far back as the recording industry and they have always been important.

I grew up in the 1980s and singles then still were the norm. And with Napster, people would (illegally) download their favourite songs of an album (the singles) and ignore the rest!

You are wrong when you say people 'no longer' have the patience to sit and listen to an album on two accounts: 1) some young people do listen to albums and 2) in the past many wouldn't listen to albums, but to singles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(music)#Early_history

2 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Yes and then they proceed to eke nothing of worth out of it. I think of a lot of the music from the 60's to the late 80's and the ability of many musicians from that time and compare it to this new low talent noise.  Lennon was an artist and a musician. Funny that you would quote someone from the golden era that could do these things. Today is like "Lothar and the Hand People" were in their day. New toys and meager talent.

23 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

So, you're saying that 'singles' is something modern or something very old???

Come on, singles go as far back as the recording industry and they have always been important.

I grew up in the 1980s and singles then still were the norm. And with Napster, people would (illegally) download their favourite songs of an album (the singles) and ignore the rest!

You are wrong when you say people 'no longer' have the patience to sit and listen to an album on two accounts: 1) some young people do listen to albums and 2) in the past many wouldn't listen to albums, but to singles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(music)#Early_history

I am saying singles are old. At one time, outside the world of Jazz and classical they were the predominant medium sold. Pop/rock/country didn’t really move into the world of albums until into the sixties. I have no idea where you were buying singles in the 80s, most record stores no longer had them, the closest things to singles I remember seeing then were some import New Wave and punk EPs that were available. The CD single never caught on.not sure how young you are, but the number of millennials in my aquaintence that even own stereos let alone listen to albums I can count on the fingers of one hand. My point being that the record industry seems to have gone full circle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I am saying singles are old. At one time, outside the world of Jazz and classical they were the predominant medium sold. Pop/rock/country didn’t really move into the world of albums until into the sixties. I have no idea where you were buying singles in the 80s, most record stores no longer had them, the closest things to singles I remember seeing then were some import New Wave and punk EPs that were available. The CD single never caught on.not sure how young you are, but the number of millennials in my aquaintence that even own stereos let alone listen to albums I can count on the fingers of one hand. 

Singles were still around at the end of 80s, as you can see in this graph I googled.

For the past 25 years, I have been teaching in secundary school, and I can assure you that in each class group I teach, there are at least a couple of students interested in 'quality' music, and yes, they'll listen to albums too, old and new.

This was no different in the 1980, 1970s, 1960s etc. : in each class group, there would be a couple of students really into music, while the majority would buy the occasional single, and no more.

singles.jpeg

1 hour ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

My previous post was meant to be sarcastic.

The person in the video is biased and prejudiced towards what he calls modern music. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Conversely, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder too.To my 80 year old mother, all rock music sounds the same, from Pink Floyd over ACDC to Bon Jovi and Metallica. In the video, a similar generalisation towards 'modern music' is proposed.

The guy in the video obviously doesn't like 'modern music' - btw, is that a new genre?

To build his argumentation, he uses un-referenced pseudo-science of Spanish origin (!)...

By doing that, he ignores all the wonderful music, uncompressed music that some young talent produces every day of the week, anno 2019.

He prefers to live in the past and he tries to convince us we should do the same.

Also, he ignores the fact that most of his 'old' music was recorded and played back on terribly sounding gear: bad microphones, bad amps, bad radios (compared to contemporary technology). Most of the people in the 1960s enjoying their music were no audiophiles and few would have access to high end klipsch speakers....

More than 2000 years ago, Plato/Socrates complained about the terrible taste of the younger generation. This guy is no different, and he's wrong...

There is more good music produced today than ever. We just don't get to hear it on the radio. PWK was STRICTLY a classical music listener and ALL of the music he listened to with his Khorns and Belle was from his own recordings and nothing else (heard those myself at his house and they were impressive). He thought all recordings were "dilute stereo" unless they were done with his 2 spaced omnidirectional microphones on 15 IPS reel to reel tape. He hated anything commercial, especially Rock and pop music. But Jazz was passable, and wouldn't rip out the radio in his car over it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

There is more good music produced today than ever. We just don't get to hear it on the radio.

Hi Claude,

OK so where does one discover the music? I don't get radio at all where I live so how do I find new good music?