Just Throw those old caps out.

Dave A

Today I was working on a set of HIE crossovers for an old set of HSM's. Besides the oil slobbering on one of them all of these were bad. That ESR reading was typical of every one. I look at these just to see how bad they are after they have been cut out and replaced just for curiosity. You hang on to those old Mylars or Cans you are not doing yourself any favors.

DSC_0011.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

What frequency is your meter using to measure ESR? Usually it's 60 or 120 HZ. If that's a tweeter circuit cap the ESR MIGHT NOT be that high at High freqs. I'm not telling anyone not to use better caps though.

OK the B&K manual said in general 1k is where to measure. The range on the meter is 100,120,1K,10K Grabbing at random one of the 2uf cans. 100=6.22 ESR  120=5.28  1K=.848 10K=.194

Next I have a 2uf Dayton 1% cap  100=.075  120=.054  1K=.020 10K=.005

Next Sonicap 8uf                             100=.021  120=.019   1K=.006  10K=.003

The Sonicaps Bob likes so well consistently measure better than the Dayton. Many people use the Daytons and seem happy and I am one of them in general. I had other brands and values wjich I am not going to bother with tonight. I thought you posed an interesting idea so I went and measured.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

Next I have a 2uf Dayton 1% cap  100=.075  120=.054  1K=.020 10K=.005

Next Sonicap 8uf                             100=.021  120=.019   1K=.006  10K=.003

That's what I'm talkin' about - above & beyond the call of duty!

The 8 uF cap exhibits 1/4 the reactance at each frequency as the 2 uF cap and the ESR at just a glance appears to follow a similar pattern.  Interesting.

If you want to go back with similar look at Genteq.  I've built 2 sets with them and they sound great.  I even sent a set to Bob and he said that they measure really well also.  They keep the look of the original crossover for those that care about such things too.

20170422_164617.jpg

hey Dave A - since you've got a good meter, there's an experiment I'd like to see you do sometime  - - solder  one of those highly touted (but cheap) Dayton film and foil caps in the range of 0.047uF to 0.1uF across a Dayton ~2uF cap then compare that composite cap to a Sonicap with the same approximate value to see if that bypass cap (which would have insignificant effect upon reactance compared to 2uF) actually has any measurable effect upon ESR.

When measuring 2uF caps, I was surprised to see some old Klipsch Aerovox still pretty good.  The dirt cheap red "Audiophiler" cap had very tight tolerance and the lowest ESR of any 2uF cap in my pile. (maybe its too good electrically as can sound "harsh" - lol).   Metallized paper MBGO caps measured with lower ESR than some foil/paper KBG. (the MBGO are physically considerably smaller than KBG for a given capacitance and voltage rating)

Lossy caps might be good in a "harsh" system.  From a purely electrical standpoint (and not taking in DA), can one somewhat emulate a lossy cap's "tone" by putting say a half-ohm resistor in series with that cap?  A switch could be put across the cap for quick A-B.

Here's something  - - Stan Ricker once told me how he used Altec Duplex.   Instead of the conventional crossover, he pretty much only had a small value highpass cap (IIRC in the ballpark of 2uF)  to the compression driver and no pad attenuation, so the very top would be brighter than stock configuration.  More interesting - he used a number of motor run oil damped caps in series to get that value and had a theory of "large plate area" sounding better - so doubt if he was freaking out over cap ESR. 

Somewhere deep in my mess is a cheap ESR meter - it seemed to read C, R, and L reasonably well and ESR consistently - but its stupid cheap leads and jacks are horrible (no soldering to the clip things - crappy thin wire - musta cost a billi-penny to make 1000 units)  If I can find it, I'll try to solder some permanent leads to its jacks inside.

hey CECAA850 - those are nice looking caps - great to hear they sound good too.

7 hours ago, garyrc said:

@Dave A,

How old were the bad ones?

My guess would be early 80's. The pro serial numbers are harder to date and I have not found what year they were made yet.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

If you want to go back with similar look at Genteq.  I've built 2 sets with them and they sound great.  I even sent a set to Bob and he said that they measure really well also.  They keep the look of the original crossover for those that care about such things too.

20170422_164617.jpg

OK what would be the reason for using these besides appearance?

18 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

Lossy caps might be good in a "harsh" system.  From a purely electrical standpoint (and not taking in DA), can one somewhat emulate a lossy cap's "tone" by putting say a half-ohm resistor in series with that cap?  A switch could be put across the cap for quick A-B

Wouldn't that be a hoot if you could duplicate those $500 super duper beeswax impregnated whizbangs "tone" with a cheap cap and a pot.

22 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

hey Dave A - since you've got a good meter, there's an experiment I'd like to see you do sometime  - - solder  one of those highly touted (but cheap) Dayton film and foil caps in the range of 0.047uF to 0.1uF across a Dayton ~2uF cap then compare that composite cap to a Sonicap with the same approximate value to see if that bypass cap (which would have insignificant effect upon reactance compared to 2uF) actually has any measurable effect upon ESR.

I have read about that but forgot it after I got my good meter. I will try this some day.

Having a good meter has also paid off with inductors where I can unwind one to get a different value and know I am accurate.

2 minutes ago, Deang said:

Physical protection and damping. 

I have wondered about the protection aspect. I have no idea how tight is too tight with cable ties and those nylon blocks most often used to mount capacitors. How tight before you can impact the side of the cap is a thought I have at times and even though it takes time I am wondering about siliconing them on instead. Something else I am starting to do is use those cable ties that have a screw hole in them and not use the nylon blocks at all since I figure they would be the big offenders in damage.

Explain damping and why you choose not to do it. I have not heard that term before re capacitors.

I usually put a piece of Deflex or foam under the capacitor before I cinch the tie, and tighten it just enough to hold the capacitor down. Yeah, cranking down on the tie is a bad idea, and will definitely crease and damage the film. 

When using the screw hole type, position the tie around the epoxy end caps. 

Damping: internal protection from mechanical/acoustic vibration (and heat). 

I primarily use Jupiter and Arizona, which are well built, fully protected capacitors. Arizona’s are oil filled, and the Jupiter’s use wax. 

There are other considerations, but I’m sure most are as tired hearing about them as I am writing about them!