Horology...

Schu

Is anyone into Horology... besides me.

I am thinking about making a purchase and I find the entire realm of time keeping very interesting when history and technology comes into making the decision.

6 minutes ago, Schu said:

Is anyone into Horology... besides me.

I am thinking about making a purchase and I find the entire realm of time keepinh very interesting when history and technology comes into making the decision.

I am, actually.  That's why my avatar is a Panerai 3646.

19 minutes ago, babadono said:

But how do they know that?... Sorry I'm just in a mood today.

Simple answer is...the same way that they were able to guarantee construction flakeboard sheets for 50 years when they had just come out????😂

54 minutes ago, babadono said:

But how do they know that?

It's done by calculating the statistical errors in the measurements. It takes 9,192,631,770 "pulses" from the Cesium to make up ONE second. Counters are extremely good, but not perfect ... haha :D they can miss a pulse :) 

FYI; a second is defined as the duration of 9.192.631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of Cesium-133. The up/down yields the radiation and these pulses are measured :)  (Edit ... from basic Physics; electrons "circle" the nucleus at defined levels. If an electron drops "down" a level it HAS to loose energy ... that's the radiation released at a specific frequency.) Haha ... about a century ago a second was 1/86,400th of a "solar day."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

It's done by calculating the statistical errors in the measurements. It takes 9,192,631,770 "pulses" from the Cesium to make up ONE second. Counters are extremely good, but not perfect ... haha :D they can miss a pulse :) 

and did they calculate A NEARBY DECENT-SIZED METEOR STRIKE INTO THAT EQUATION?  Pulses gone haywire!  Yeah, I'm "in a mood", too!  BUT..I learned to never thrust old man Murphy!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Emile said:

It takes 9,192,631,770 "pulses" from the Cesium to make up ONE second

And how do they know that? Oh it's by DEFINITION

The official definition of the second given by the BIPM at the 13th General Conference on Weights and Measures in 1967 is: "The second is the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom." At its 1997 meeting the BIPM added to the previous definition the following specification: "This definition refers to a caesium atom at rest at a temperature of 0 K."

I thought I said I wasn't into time:)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

And how do they know that? Oh it's by DEFINITION

The official definition of the second given by the BIPM at the 13th General Conference on Weights and Measures in 1967 is: "The second is the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom." At its 1997 meeting the BIPM added to the previous definition the following specification: "This definition refers to a caesium atom at rest at a temperature of 0 K."

I thought I said I wasn't into time:)

You ain't got anybody fooled, WIkipedia Man!😂

• Haha 1

Time is an invention of human beings...dinosaurs never had watches...but they had their own way of "telling time".....time to eat....time to breed....time to defend oneself...and when the nearby volcano started spewing stuff.....time to getthehellouttaDodge!😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

May I add a very important one ... time for wine :D 

Yet another human invention in time!  A worthwhile one, but still....

I can just hear a dinosaur now talking to a tiny mammal..."hey idiot stick...just leave a few bunches of them grapes on the vines....your descendants will thank you when the ice age comes and they can have ICE WINE!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1