Freedom of Speech?

Jeff Matthews

"The headteacher of a US school has been sacked after telling a parent he would remain neutral on whether or not the Holocaust happened."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48927322

Just wondering where it ends.  Should schools be able to fire teachers for believing the moon landing could have been staged?  It's an interesting area in no-man's land.

Let me respond by asking you this; Is this the kind of "Teacher" or "Professor" you would want teaching and influencing young minds?

I say hell no. Keep your personal opinions personal.

TRUE STORY:

when they reconstructed the Sunshine Bridge in Florida, the previous bridge collapsed and killed 30 or 40 people,.... they reconstructed it using suspended concrete box girders (rel. new at that time)... at the opening ceremony a news crew interviewed the GC's super and posed the question/concern that the bridge was concrete and if it would stand the test of time.. His was response was "All I know about concrete is that its hard and it cracks".

He was promptly fired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 7/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

I understand the gist of your point, but it still all comes down to, "I know it when I see it." Case in point: there is a rather large constituency that claims climate change opponents aren't living in reality.

Whose Reality? 😉

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Card Carrying Member of Sir Time's Psychedelic Philosophy Team! 

3 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Whose Reality? 😉

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Card Carrying Member of Sir Time's Psychedelic Philosophy Team! 

Exactly correct......   I think the Climate Change doubter theory has been taken so far out of context, that the subject has become a malignant tumor with many Americans.  I do believe it's real, but I do not believe the sky is falling or that it's a real threat in either my children, my future grandchildren or future great grandchildren. Too many wackos trying to steer the ship. Discussions are hollow, meaningless to me. I honestly don't believe anyone doubt's that Climate Change is real, the doubt, at least for me, are the proposed and real actions to prevent or significantly mitigate it. They're feel good actions, and actions meant and designed to bring in $$$$$, just not to me or the people who need it.  No one's gonna stop that climate train.

8 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Exactly correct......   I think the Climate Change doubter theory has been taken so far out of context, that the subject has become a malignant tumor with many Americans.  I do believe it's real, but I do not believe the sky is falling or that it's a real threat in either my children, my future grandchildren or future great grandchildren. Too many wackos trying to steer the ship. Discussions are hollow, meaningless to me. I honestly don't believe anyone doubt's that Climate Change is real, the doubt, at least for me, are the proposed and real actions to prevent or significantly mitigate it. They're feel good actions, and actions meant and designed to bring in $$$$$, just not to me or the people who need it.  No one's gonna stop that climate train.

I'm more worried about the unfathomable tons of plastic waste that are accumulating on land and sea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Silence is pretty powerful and it is becoming a lost art.    That guy could have been in an inner city Chicago school and denounced slavery and we would all be watching a city burn and smelling Hotdogs for hundreds of miles.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm more worried about the unfathomable tons of plastic waste that are accumulating on land and sea.

I'm more worried about the unfathomable amount of money they want to take out of my and your wallet to "fix" the problem.

11 minutes ago, babadono said:

I'm more worried about the unfathomable amount of money they want to take out of my and your wallet to "fix" the problem.

No matter how you slice it, money goes into someone else's pockets.  Like Gilbert says, we are past a fix.  That doesn't mean we should not try to innovate out of the conundrum.  Any "fix" would be a long term project.  There is a realistic way to do it without massive disruption to anyone's "pockets."  If someone were to invent a better way, I really don't care how rich they get, they would deserve it.

• Like 1

Have bad things been done environmentally? Yes. By man? Yes. Can we do better? Of course. Why is there so much oil under the deserts of the Middle east? Because they were once jungles. Has the earth been almost completely covered with ice in the past? Yes more than once. Mankind is now going to "fix" the climate? NOPE. It is delusional to think we are that powerful or significant.

• Like 3

I'd rather not whine.  How long did it take to make the oil in the ground?  Is it infinite in supply?  Of course not.  If we bury our heads about it, keep paying more and more for a finite supply instead of investing in innovation, then we deserve worse---which is both too hot or too cold depending on where you are, or perhaps under water, which will be the first effects our children and grand children will experience.  I would give them the advice to not invest in real estate in certain markets, that's for sure.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

It's all CUMULATIVE!! And is from ONE SOURCE! Vastly overpopulating HUMANS pushing all the other life forms OUT!

Look up and watch "Wild Ways" on PBS:

Drastically POISONING and ALTERING other species ways of life! :-(

John Kuthe...