Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Dee Jay

Banana plug sizes and Klipsch speaker terminals

Recommended Posts

No banana plug ever cuts the mustard. 

 

Simply LOOK at its design and construction, and you should easily figure that out !!   

 

Three questions :

 

Ask yourself, " how much contact area is there in this connection" and next - ask yourself  " how good ( tight ) is the connection ".   Finally, ask yourself  " will it remain tight. "   

 

A banana plug's design scores a big fat "F" .......................in all of these three critical areas.

 

Compare a high quality audio spade lug connected to a Cardas CCGR set of binding posts, to any banana plug, and one easily discovers what sounds best... if you do use good electronics. 

 

I am afraid many / most in audio, don't use good electronics, and its usually the amplifiers that are in dire need of improvement.  Banana plugs fit part-and-parcel with mediocre hi fi implementations, mediocre amplifiers, in all of my experience and, in my own opinion.  Its really simple - to me banana plugs are mid-fi.  Audio quality spade lugs and Cardas CCGR speaker posts are high-fidelity.

 

Of course, if you are running a mid-fi amplifier, there is little use in installing the best sounding speaker connections on them, as that amplifier can't sort-out subtle but important music differences to start with.  You will believe banana plugs are OK.  They are not ..............................................IMO, IME !! 

 

Jeffrey Medwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not using 8 gauge speaker wire and spade terminals, you are just doing it all wrong.

 

841839811_getoutmeme.thumb.jpg.09c225513c76bb33c6cbdf2a5e11b465.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Which model number do you use?

8265914683

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, polizzio said:

If you're not using 8 gauge speaker wire and spade terminals, you are just doing it all wrong.

Don't forget a half pound blob of mil spec solder to hold it all together plebe.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, polizzio said:

If you're not using 8 gauge speaker wire and spade terminals, you are just doing it all wrong.

 

8 AWG is for wimps. A real man will use copper bus bars...

 

copper-busbar-500x500.jpg

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Nakamichi makes some of the best that I've used.  The banana end fits extremely tightly.  The wire is secured with 2 set screws also.  You can find vendors all over the web. (Not the plastic bodied ones)

 

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/

Agree, I use the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

 

8 AWG is for wimps. A real man will use copper bus bars...

 

copper-busbar-500x500.jpg

Yes, and excellent for those with mice problems.....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

I've had good luck with Sewell. plenty on ebay.

 

aasw.thumb.JPG.4d5ba837f59a48e8fcdb4d3daa92bab3.JPG

Same ones I use...no problems at all with them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ron E said:

Same ones I use...no problems at all with them.

I've read good things about them also but have never used them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monoprice makes decent banana plugs as was alluded to earlier in this thread. And as an added bonus they mate right into the back of their pin type plugs so you can make a banana to pin adapter when needed.

P1010526.jpg

P1010527.jpg

Rendezvous and docking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No banana plug ever cuts the mustard. 

 

Jeff likes to talk the talk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I opened up the Speaker Wire Connector Terminals Can O' Worms.

 

Not entirely unexpected, though.

 

A big thank you to all your opinions and comments.  I find them to be very helpful, which is really what I'm after.

 

Feel free to keep them coming, if you do not find them a waste of time.

 

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?  I do have some generic Scotch Tape as well.  I heard it has minimal signal loss.  And it's archival as well.  I'm certain that helps, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?

Anything but zip ties.  They strangle the sound.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes banana plugs are a standard size + or - manufacturing tolerances of course. And you know those four flaps of metal contact that look like a peel of a banana(hence the name) can be gently pried out to give a tighter connection if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Anything but zip ties.  They strangle the sound.

 

Unless you stack a bunch of smaller zip ties on top of the main zip tie, in which case it will allow you to hear every single bit of sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?

Bubble gum.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dee Jay said:

Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?

 

Nope. You have to use clear GE Silicone 2 bathroom caulk.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I am afraid many / most in audio, don't use good electronics, and its usually the amplifiers that are in dire need of improvement.  Banana plugs fit part-and-parcel with mediocre hi fi implementations, mediocre amplifiers, in all of my experience and, in my own opinion.  Its really simple - to me banana plugs are mid-fi.  Audio quality spade lugs and Cardas CCGR speaker posts are high-fidelity.

 

It’s really simple to put the money where your mouth is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

 

It’s really simple to put the money where your mouth is.

How can you not believe someone who refers to his soldering with this quote?

 

Just always remember this fellas: " The bigger the glob, the better the job ."    

 

That's money right there.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

I think I opened up the Speaker Wire Connector Terminals Can O' Worms.

 

Not entirely unexpected, though.

 

A big thank you to all your opinions and comments.  I find them to be very helpful, which is really what I'm after.

 

Feel free to keep them coming, if you do not find them a waste of time.

 

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?  I do have some generic Scotch Tape as well.  I heard it has minimal signal loss.  And it's archival as well.  I'm certain that helps, too.

Sorry this went south on your first post here. We usually treat people better (at first). But I can tell by your reply that you get what is going on here.

Hopefully between the BS and the snark, you found some useful information.

Most of this is a carry over from other threads. Gone on WAY too long.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...