The Klipsch Audio Community
Dee Jay

Banana plug sizes and Klipsch speaker terminals

No banana plug ever cuts the mustard. 

Simply LOOK at its design and construction, and you should easily figure that out !!   

Three questions :

Ask yourself, " how much contact area is there in this connection" and next - ask yourself  " how good ( tight ) is the connection ".   Finally, ask yourself  " will it remain tight. "   

A banana plug's design scores a big fat "F" .......................in all of these three critical areas.

Compare a high quality audio spade lug connected to a Cardas CCGR set of binding posts, to any banana plug, and one easily discovers what sounds best... if you do use good electronics. 

I am afraid many / most in audio, don't use good electronics, and its usually the amplifiers that are in dire need of improvement.  Banana plugs fit part-and-parcel with mediocre hi fi implementations, mediocre amplifiers, in all of my experience and, in my own opinion.  Its really simple - to me banana plugs are mid-fi.  Audio quality spade lugs and Cardas CCGR speaker posts are high-fidelity.

Of course, if you are running a mid-fi amplifier, there is little use in installing the best sounding speaker connections on them, as that amplifier can't sort-out subtle but important music differences to start with.  You will believe banana plugs are OK.  They are not ..............................................IMO, IME !! 

Jeffrey Medwin

If you're not using 8 gauge speaker wire and spade terminals, you are just doing it all wrong.

841839811_getoutmeme.thumb.jpg.09c225513c76bb33c6cbdf2a5e11b465.jpg

30 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Which model number do you use?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, polizzio said:

If you're not using 8 gauge speaker wire and spade terminals, you are just doing it all wrong.

Don't forget a half pound blob of mil spec solder to hold it all together plebe.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, polizzio said:

8 AWG is for wimps. A real man will use copper bus bars...

copper-busbar-500x500.jpg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Nakamichi makes some of the best that I've used.  The banana end fits extremely tightly.  The wire is secured with 2 set screws also.  You can find vendors all over the web. (Not the plastic bodied ones)

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/

Agree, I use the same.

11 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

8 AWG is for wimps. A real man will use copper bus bars...

copper-busbar-500x500.jpg

Yes, and excellent for those with mice problems.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

I've had good luck with Sewell. plenty on ebay.

aasw.thumb.JPG.4d5ba837f59a48e8fcdb4d3daa92bab3.JPG

Same ones I use...no problems at all with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ron E said:

Same ones I use...no problems at all with them.

I've read good things about them also but have never used them.

• Like 1

Monoprice makes decent banana plugs as was alluded to earlier in this thread. And as an added bonus they mate right into the back of their pin type plugs so you can make a banana to pin adapter when needed.

P1010526.jpg

P1010527.jpg

Rendezvous and docking.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No banana plug ever cuts the mustard. 

Jeff likes to talk the talk!

I think I opened up the Speaker Wire Connector Terminals Can O' Worms.

Not entirely unexpected, though.

A big thank you to all your opinions and comments.  I find them to be very helpful, which is really what I'm after.

Feel free to keep them coming, if you do not find them a waste of time.

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?  I do have some generic Scotch Tape as well.  I heard it has minimal signal loss.  And it's archival as well.  I'm certain that helps, too.

32 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?

Anything but zip ties.  They strangle the sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes banana plugs are a standard size + or - manufacturing tolerances of course. And you know those four flaps of metal contact that look like a peel of a banana(hence the name) can be gently pried out to give a tighter connection if necessary.

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Anything but zip ties.  They strangle the sound.

Unless you stack a bunch of smaller zip ties on top of the main zip tie, in which case it will allow you to hear every single bit of sound.

56 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?

Bubble gum.  

1 hour ago, Dee Jay said:

Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?

Nope. You have to use clear GE Silicone 2 bathroom caulk.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I am afraid many / most in audio, don't use good electronics, and its usually the amplifiers that are in dire need of improvement.  Banana plugs fit part-and-parcel with mediocre hi fi implementations, mediocre amplifiers, in all of my experience and, in my own opinion.  Its really simple - to me banana plugs are mid-fi.  Audio quality spade lugs and Cardas CCGR speaker posts are high-fidelity.

It’s really simple to put the money where your mouth is.

5 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

It’s really simple to put the money where your mouth is.

How can you not believe someone who refers to his soldering with this quote?

Just always remember this fellas: " The bigger the glob, the better the job ."    

That's money right there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

I think I opened up the Speaker Wire Connector Terminals Can O' Worms.

Not entirely unexpected, though.

A big thank you to all your opinions and comments.  I find them to be very helpful, which is really what I'm after.

Feel free to keep them coming, if you do not find them a waste of time.

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?  I do have some generic Scotch Tape as well.  I heard it has minimal signal loss.  And it's archival as well.  I'm certain that helps, too.

Sorry this went south on your first post here. We usually treat people better (at first). But I can tell by your reply that you get what is going on here.

Hopefully between the BS and the snark, you found some useful information.

Most of this is a carry over from other threads. Gone on WAY too long.

• Like 2