BSM's fave taco joint.....

jimjimbo

We have those peppered throughout the area here. The one which was closest gave me the shits the first time I ate there and I never went back. They've also since closed.. maybe "Tex Mex" is a novelty around the rest of the country, but such food is hardly unique here and it doesn't require much effort to find good examples of such food.

Fast food places similar to Del Taco will insist that no other Mexican food be sold in the center where they are located. 

My brain will not wrap around this.  I loved Baja Fresh (in its heyday before they fell off of a cliff) and still eat at Chipolte about 7 or 8 times a year and enjoy it, but I would never think of putting Taco Bell, Del Taco or any of that other manufactured crap in my body.

Yet somehow they think that this is a direct competitor.  Like I am thinking hmmm, I'd like a salad with beans and pretty tasty meat at Chipolte, or no wait, how about some mystery meat with a pound of salt and chemical flavoring, yea, I prefer that.  It's not like if there is only a Taco Bell or Del Taco that is where we will eat.  Keep driving.  

Needless to say, we do not eat fast food (but I do like several 'quick serve' counter service restaurants.  Rubios has great shrimp tacos!).  A friend of my wife and her husband were shocked that she didn't know any of the fast food chains.  I think they felt sorry for her (she is missing out on type 2 diabetes). 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:36 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Fast food places similar to Del Taco will insist that no other Mexican food be sold in the center where they are located. 

that not Mexican food.  I'll refrain from further comment on those type of places

@jimjimbo

Did you get to Ricki's?  The pulled meat tacos I had there were great. Soft fried corn tortilla. I could barely wrap the tortilla around all the meat. The salsas were good and fresh made. The green had some bite.

49 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

that not Mexican food.  I'll refrain from further comment on those type of places

@jimjimbo

Did you get to Ricki's?  The pulled meat tacos I had there were great. Soft fried corn tortilla. I could barely wrap the tortilla around all the meat. The salsas were good and fresh made. The green had some bite.

Jim has not gone anywhere for a few days. His eyes are still tearing up from El Gringo Mucho Caliente Diablo sauce.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Jim has not gone anywhere for a few days. His eyes are still tearing up from El Gringo Mucho Caliente Diablo sauce.

My mom, may she rest in peace, told me a story about her father from when she wa a teenager in the 1930s. He would listen to the radio, snacking on a plate of cheese and peppers (all she knew was they were hot). Then, in the middle of the night she would hear him in the bathroom banging on the wall with a shoe and cussin' up a storm as he did his business.

"... icewater bidet..." , I laughed out loud.

• Like 1