Think he missed me?

Coytee

So, a couple weeks ago, I decided to (presumably) eat a bad egg and put myself into the hospital.  Upon getting home, my wife told me that Carrot Top was looking for me the entire time (2 days) I was gone.....

He's my little buddy.

IMG_0247.JPG

• Like 4

- our animals loves us unconditionally ------it's called separation anxiety , a profound bond to the human with whom  they are linked emotionally as a Twin ,   Rottweilers , Dobermans and the Beauceron breed  , and some german shepherds  can be that sensitive  ,and they are now used to lower stress and anxiety  with Veterans with PTSD-OCD   ,  and the same goes for cats  -

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Store bought or home grown? As an egg farmer, I'm curious about the granular details on this one..

WoW Thad. I didn't know you were an egg farmer! Very Cool. I grow cheese, in my garden.

• Haha 1

Just now, artto said:

WoW Thad. I didn't know you were an egg farmer! Very Cool. I grow cheese, in my garden.

Not for the general public. We keep 20-50 egg layers (along with meat poultry, ducks, goats, pigs, etc) for ourselves. We inevitably have surplus which we give to friends and family as a treat - but that's the point where I suddenly feel the weight of potential salmonella poisoning. We go to great lengths to protect our birds and eggs, but sometimes all the right factors align and bad eggs can slip through.

Glad you're on the mend @Coytee - you actually popped up in another thread where folks were asking about people who've recently gone dark on the forum.

47 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Garden cheese ?  Please elaborate.🤔

🤡

It's a joke?

Actually, it's a line (joke) from an old TV commercial where some giggling lady responds "Oh, I grew it in my garden" referring to the cheese.

• Haha 1

Not for the general public. We keep 20-50 egg layers (along with meat poultry, ducks, goats, pigs, etc) for ourselves. We inevitably have surplus which we give to friends and family as a treat - but that's the point where I suddenly feel the weight of potential salmonella poisoning. We go to great lengths to protect our birds and eggs, but sometimes all the right factors align and bad eggs can slip through.

Glad you're on the mend [mention=12967]Coytee[/mention] - you actually popped up in another thread where folks were asking about people who've recently gone dark on the forum.

I used to have a about 10 egg laying hens.
I would get about 1 to 3 eggs per chic per day. I had a 100watt light bulb that I used to check the eggs to make sure the inside was clean, no embryo developing. Best eggs ever. I miss my little birds. They all got wiped out by a raccoon or something and we never got anymore birds after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

- but that's the point where I suddenly feel the weight of potential salmonella poisoning.

my guess is you wash the eggs or is there more to it ----just wondering ----

10 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

my guess is you wash the eggs or is there more to it ----just wondering ----

We don't. If an egg is too dirty to keep without washing it gets fed to the livestock. There's an important layer on the egg when it's laid called the bloom. This film seals in the shell pores and lengthens the life of the egg without spoiling.

Wash it off and you shorten the viability of the egg and will need to keep refrigerated. It's also important to note that the average age of eggs when they hit the supermarket is about 6 weeks.

Unwashed eggs can be kept at room temperature for about two weeks. Three months if refrigerated. There's methods of preservation for even longer time periods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, artto said:

Cats, eggs and cheese.

Surely there is a connection

Yes there is but totally different cooking methods for each, the cat taking the longest by far. 

Coytee glad your doing better and you didn't catch something even worse. :emotion-21:

Yes I'm sure he missed you.

Hi @Coytee

glad to hear you're on the mend

yeah, cats do miss their humans. They get angry if you are gone too long, also. I was gone for 3 weeks. One of ours came up, said hello, and then gave me the cold shoulder for a day.

"I'm over worrying about you. Now, I'm angry because you were gone so long".

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Store bought or home grown? As an egg farmer, I'm curious about the granular details on this one..

Store bought.  No recollection what store, what brand.  I DO know that the dozen are now gone (I ate them).  I really don't have any clue what put me down....  the only two things I had that morning were bacon & eggs.  I simply presumed I got some bacteria from the egg, but again, don't really know. 

I have since finished the dozen AND finished the bacon with zero ill effects.  So perhaps it was something else?

58 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

... i’m allergic to cats. 

Me too.  Discovered it as a child when I'd go visit my father who had a cat.  I ALWAYS had a terrible itch in my eyes and they'd be bloodshot irritated...  then, as soon as I'd leave to go home (divorced parents), the eyes would clear up.

Bummer for me as I really like cats.  I've learned over the years that I can mess with him all I want but I MUST go wash my hands before doing anything around my face or it will get me.

Side story:  I once went to visit my father, I was told that "this" (spare bedroom) will be where you sleep.....  next morning I get up and my eyes are blood red, itching like poison ivy....  my dad's wife said "oops....  I didn't realize you were allergic to cats....  I guess I should have mentioned that not only does our cat use that room to sleep in, he sleeps right on the pillow.....  "you mean, the very pillow I buried my face in all night?????"

I got allergy shots for bee stings a number of years ago (I live too rural, if I get stung and have a reaction it's toast city).  I asked the doc if he can tend to my cat allergies at same time.  We did so.

I've since been stung with no ill effects (I was hospitalized prior to my shots) but I still seem highly sensitive to cats.

I'll take the trade off.

23 hours ago, Coytee said:

Store bought.  No recollection what store, what brand.  I DO know that the dozen are now gone (I ate them).  I really don't have any clue what put me down....  the only two things I had that morning were bacon & eggs.  I simply presumed I got some bacteria from the egg, but again, don't really know. 

I have since finished the dozen AND finished the bacon with zero ill effects.  So perhaps it was something else?

I eat a lot of eggs, mostly poached. Had 1 a couple of weeks ago that STANK as soon as I cut it up on my toast.

The rest were fine.