Forte Score - $29 - Goodwill of Santa Fe, NM

Scored a mint pair of Klipsch forte 1 in Santa Fe, NM goodwill store. $29 for the pair. Mint condition.

They sound amazing as it is. After reading thru the forums, seems like I need to change the capacitors.So ordered the solen 1.5u and 1.0u 630 caps and Elna Bipolar 47u 100v cap.

But when I opened the speaker binding plate there is no PCB (i think i saw pcb on a post here who recapped the crossover in forte 1 ). Now I need to somew how cram the new capacitors.

But what a steal.

Thanks
Ganesh 

61222337704__9460B141-9A20-4A63-87F4-4352259931E8.JPG

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Everyone.

Thank you  all for the welcome. I sincerely appreciate it.

I scored a lot of Vintage Equipment in Santa Fe, NM for cheap. Always $20 or so. Here are some of them

1. Akai - G747 Reel  - (Beautiful piece of equipment) - $20

2. JBL Jubal - (Awesome speakers with glass top and glass prism like tweeters, my co-worker Don showed up at my house and won't leave until I gave them to him. I let them go) - $20

3. Luxman M363 - Amp - (Very loud, heavy and huge)  - $20 - in Garage now (needs recap most probably)

4. MARANTZ 4230 -  QUADRADIAL (Neighbor took it when he saw it lying in my Garage) - $20

5. Bowers & Wilkins DM 603-S2 speakers - $50 - (I tried to haggle for $20 they won't budge)

6. Harman Kardon - HK6600 power amp - $20 (I love this amp, this amp is driving the Forte speakers)

7. Hafler Preamp - can't remember the model - $10 (pots scratchy, need deoxit)

8.Carver SD/A-390t  - awesome 5-disc vacuum tube cd player -- This one really sounds very nice - with Remote - $20

9.Carver SD/A-390t  - awesome 5-disc vacuum tube cd player -- This one really sounds very nice - without Remote - $10 

I have stopped hunting vintage audio lately as wife gets very upset. She made me get rid of a lot of my collection. Nowadays I will only buy if there is something really sought after.

Thanks

Ganesh

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GaneshSingh said:

Scored a mint pair of Klipsch forte 1 in Santa Fe, NM goodwill store. $29 for the pair. Mint condition.

---I can't hear this kind of stuff ,,,,, always happens to the next guy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blvdre said:

Ganesh, you could always order some 250v caps, as 630V is overkill and a bit bulky. That would give you a bit more wiggle-room.

Many Thanks, I appreciate it.  I will order the 250v ones, I  just looked them up, they are definitely smaller. I blindly copied the parts from https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/re-capped-my-fortes.371297/. Now when I saw the  pictures in the thread carefully again,  his Forte 1 has square binding plate (that explains the crossover pcb) and mine is round and everything is point to point soldered. They must've made two kinds of Forte 1s.

Regards

Ganesh

Edited by GaneshSingh

7 minutes ago, GaneshSingh said:

Many Thanks, I appreciate it.  I will order the 250v ones, I  just looked them up, they are definitely smaller. I blindly copied the parts from https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/re-capped-my-fortes.371297/. Now when I saw the  pictures in thread carefully again,  his Forte 1 has square binding plate and mine is round. They must've made two kinds of Forte 1s.

Regards

Ganesh

Yes - the round cups are very early forte Is

• Like 1

Soooooo cool that happened... and good, too; imagine if someone else had come along looking for a cheap pair of speakers and then (carelessly) threw them in the back of the car (not knowing what they had) before abusing them for the next 10 years. These Fortés found a good home, and a responsible steward of their care. Win-win.

• Like 1

Many thanks again for kind words everyone. 

I got the 250v capacitors as blvrde suggessted, thanks again. I think these are small and should work fine. But the thing that surprised me is the 47uf non-polarized capacitor. It is tiny compared to the original, that kindda bothered me. What a shrinkage. wonder why?... hmmm.. This small bipolar capacitor will definitely free up a lot of space and give me a good wiggle room. I am not changing the lone resistor. I will post more pictures once done recapping the crossover. Boy these speakers do sound nice as is.

IMG_2787_medium.thumb.jpg.7a681c0d6d452beebd53bf037518bafa.jpgIMG_2790.thumb.jpg.77152b85c745397a97ea61ab2b8a2611.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 9:20 PM, Dave1290 said:

Enjoy and welcome!  Fantastic deal.  Tell your wife I'll give her $100 for them!  :)  

You can have the Bowers and Wilkins 603 S2 for free . 😁 Sorry, B&Ws look pretty but to me they do not sound as good as the Fortes....

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 6:53 PM, PrestonTom said:

You are the reason that many of us read Craigslist etc.

I don't  know if this is one in a thousand or one in a million, but you have scored .... big time!

Enjoy them and give them a good home. 

-Tom

Many thanks. They are in my living room already and B&Ws are back in a corner. I will not let these go, these are beautiful...

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, Endo said:

Soooooo cool that happened... and good, too; imagine if someone else had come along looking for a cheap pair of speakers and then (carelessly) threw them in the back of the car (not knowing what they had) before abusing them for the next 10 years. These Fortés found a good home, and a responsible steward of their care. Win-win.

Agree. Thanks, I will take care of them. I already polished the cabinets, they are shiny and clean now and are in for a long stay and love.

Edited by GaneshSingh
  • Like 1