Music to bomb Bagdad by

Colin

you know what? at least I'm not such a puss_y that I'd back out of a game after bragging about how I'm going to win like you. I'd like to see you in a war situation. If you were one of the guys that are sent of to Iraq, I'm sure you'd get home on dishonorable discharge, since we both know you'd be the one staying in helicopter because you're afraid to jump out. Go change your name. We both know you would be to much of a panzy to do anything if you ever did somehow become a ranger. and by the way mike, nice try, but if I knew you in real life, I'd throw your *** to the ground and stomp your face in. see who needs the brian development than.

and Good Morning to you plod.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Cant back out of game I never signed up for. Thanks for the invite, but Ill pass on this game.

Plod writes:

I'd like to see you in a war situation. (No you wouldnt - you have no clue what youre saying) If you were one of the guys that are sent of to Iraq (been there once before), I'm sure you'd get home on (a) dishonorable discharge, since we both know you'd be the one staying in (the) helicopter because you're afraid to jump out (LMAO). Go change your name. We both know you would be to (too) much of a panzy (pansy) to do anything if you ever did somehow become a ranger (http://www-benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/photo/1-93.jpg). Im the guy third row from the top, sixth man from the right (I'm standing next to dude w/ glasses on my right / or your left looking at the pic). PS: A little worthless trivia for ya, the man (three rows from the bottom, six men over on the left hunched over a Hispanic Ranger) is the real life character of the broken arm soldier in the movie Black Hawk Down. There are a few others, but he comes to mind.

and by the way mike, nice try, but if I knew you in real life, I'd throw your *** to the ground and stomp your face in (ouch computer keyboard bravado this early in the morning better look out Mike, I think hes serious). see who needs the brian (brain) development than (then).

----------------

On 12/10/2002 2:09:42 AM RangerSix wrote:

good night plod

psst ... the correct spelling is
tomorrow
2.gif

----------------

Snicker.... Talk about adding insult to injury.9.gif

prodj, now you know I have nothing against you and by all means I am not attacking you, but if your going to start making claims against intellect, I suggest you consult with your spell/grammer checker first before making your posts.

Also your letting your emotions get the best of you. Chill out, your posting things that really are making you look silly. 2.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2002 9:38:22 AM RangerSix wrote:

A little worthless trivia for ya, the man (three rows from the bottom, six men over on the left hunched over a Hispanic Ranger) is the real life character of the broken arm soldier in the movie Black Hawk Down.

----------------

No sh1t Thats cool!

Ranger...

I had to laugh at that pic...another typical ranger class pic...just big sunken black holes for eyes of the grads...LOL! Of course, when you have been protein/carbohydrate deprived for a number of weeks while humping the heaviest ruck of your military career, getting NO SLEEP at all, doing your best to stare through severely weakened eyes at whatever you can find to write on while making up a decent opord for the next mission...it all makes sense!! LOL!

Prodj...I am not taking sides in this, but if you think a chess game is a challenge, then try your hand at writing a GOOD 5-paragraph(including ALL sub-paragraphs) operations order in EXTREME detail for a mission, then using that OPORD to carry out that mission SUCCESSFULLY, while under circumstances that make you want to blow the whole thing off, and just sit down where you are and never move an inch again!! No matter how many shows on TV you see about Ranger training, nothing compares to the real thing! These guys show up in the best physical condition of their lives for this school...and many don't make it through...while the ones that DO GRADUATE...are just broken shells of what they were when they first arrived...all the life squeezed out of them!! It is nothing strange to see a 220 lb man reduced to 145 lbs(or less) in a matter of a few weeks...and hallucinating due to extreme protein/carbohydrate deprivation and lack of sleep...but still "continuing to march" in order to "get tabbed"!! There will NEVER be a chess game that even approaches that!!

You really need to take your attitude and give it a 180 degree "about face" towards what you have absolutely NO comprehension of! At just 14 years of age...you have a long ways to go before learning what military operations are really all about!...ESPECIALLY well-concieved and carried-out small unit tactical operations under EXTREME conditions of duress!!

I really wish you would just read what you type sometime...and think about how your language used, and your belligerant attitude towards your elders is RECEIVED by members of this forum!

I honestly believe you have some very good contributions to make here on this forum, but you all-too-often let yourself get caught up in subjects that you really haven't had enough life experiences to really make a good call on yet!

Everybody has an opinion, and stating that opinion is fine, but using TACT in the stating of it, and in its defense, is something you need to spend LOTS more time practicing!

I am quite sure that RANGER desires to go over there again much less than he looks forward to a root canal. But that is HIS job...his DUTY...and he should get at least SOME RESPECT for that! Not just from YOU, but from us ALL! No matter HOW he feels about having to do it, he WILL do it. And you need to understand, Prodj, that every combat arms soldier, no matter how he feels deep inside, has to mentally ready himself for an upcoming conflict when he sees it is imminent...it is akin to the pep rallies you see in school, but it is more of a personal thing in this instance...a mental pep rally designed to make the soldier ready for what lays ahead! "Psyching himself up for the upcoming game," as it were...

One day you will understand...but HOPEFULLY you won't have to be in the situation RANGER is now in to achieve that understanding!!

Prodj, it is up to YOU to decide how you are perceived by the members of this forum...take that into consideration BEFORE hitting the "submit" button with your posts! Please carefully read what you have written in a calm manner...change the wording to eliminate name-calling, profanity, and anything that is unacceptable to society in general...it will do you a world of good if you take the time to do this from now on out!

This advice is GOOD ADVICE...take it or leave it!! Maybe if a few of the other posters to this forum had learned this in THEIR youth, they would not be perceived today as they are!!

Hmmmm, methinks you got it right the first time, cluless... one doesn't usually derive "testy" from "temperature."

War is where impassioned idealism meets awesome reality... and those who survive rarely have the same thoughts about the experience after the fact that they had before. Like it or not, we have all become residents of a "global village" in which no country of any size can ignore. Like the stock market's reliance on investor confidence over factual risk assessment, world peace is just so much "whirrled peas" when the public opinion within potential warring nations outweighs the fear of one's own mortality. Sadly, it is our young, testosterone laden, first-time voters who get caught up in their own feelings of immortality that tend to bear the brunt of battlefield casualties.

On December 7th, I was reminded of that. I had a friend for some years before I discovered he was the second pilot (and second in command) of the retaliatory raid on Tokyo commanded by Jimmy Doolittle. If you look closely at the latest "Pearl Harbor" release you will notice Travis Hoover's name as the pilot of the second plane listed on the chalkboard. Travis and his crew survived when he pancaked his B-25 in the China surf... waded ashore... and escaped capture due to the heroic intervention of a Chinese person who was in the right place at the right time to throw off the Japanese soldiers looking to revenge themselves on the Americans that bombed their capital city. The crew of the B-25 that landed the next beach over were not so fortunate and none survived their Japanese captors.

I asked Travis what possessed him to volunteer for what became tatamount to a suicide mission when the carrier was detected and the B-25's launched prematurely... his earnest reply was, "Ed, I was just 19 years old... and I didn't believe that death could touch me!" Sure, some of that was because he was a damn good pilot and a cool customer... but he certainly had a different view of life and war by the time he walked across China to where he and his crew got a lift "over the hump" of the Himalayas and into India. Travis, like most combat vets, rather talk about almost anything other than the gut-wrenching reality of surviving the real thing. Last Memorial Day, Travis was the guest of honor at a celebration where he was surprised by a visit from the Chinese person that saved the life of he and his crew... it was the first time they saw each other in all those years.

Another very real person depicted in the "Tora, Tora, Tora" version was the young Japanese flight leader of the first wave (Fujida, I think his name was) who later became an American citizen and lives in Hawaii. He, too, believed that he would not die... even though he professed an official willingness to do so. At the time of the raid, he believed that he was doing the right thing... the moral thing to protect his native land that a pre-war America had suddenly refused to supply vital oil for their on going war with their neighbors.

The hell of war is that both sides too often think that they are in the right. Such diametrically opposed thinking is reflected in this thread as different Forum members gravitate to one extreme or another. What's the real truth behind all the rhetoric? We may never know... at least in time to do something meaningful about it.

One thing we can do, however, is express our opinions on this Forum without making hostile remarks about one another's character in a downward spiral that's clearly out of control. Somehow I cannot see how "kicking someone's ***" or beating someone in a chess match has anything to do with either what may happens in a future battlefield... or who has the right slant on the truth behind the potential conflict.

While the Gulf War of the 90's had its spectacular successes... military strategists know that with a little more knowledge and tactical strategy by Saddam's forces could have made life much more difficult for the allied forces who outraced the safety of their covering fire. The last time, Saddam's elimination was not the number one priority... this time it will be. This time, our potential enemy has had time to assess the last loss... and what could have been done. This time... it is a war for survival for a man who thrives on terror and retribution. This time it is a major move in the geo-political chess match that will alter the destiny of nations... maybe even our own.

Like the attack on Pearl Harbor, an attack on Bagdad will probably be based more on the politics of oil... particularly in light of the worldwide necessity of cost-effective energy... than the fear of terrorist attack (which, obviously, is no small matter). Living in a global village in the nuclear age, what your neighbor is doing in his own backyard becomes can indeed become your business when it strikes home.

It is not so much "proof" that starts wars... but rather a willingness to die for one's "belief"... and, like taste, accounting for it is far more subjective than factual... and far more entrenched in economic reality than polemic rhetoric. As most of us on this Forum live in a representative democracy... and the elections are over... we can only can only pray that the world's leaders do not get carried away and thow this global village baby out with the Baath* water. -HornED

*The Baath Party controls Moslem Syria and Iraq and tends to take a hard line with non-Moslem ideas.

I couldn't stay out, this was the best page yet! lol! One of the most amazingly "democratic" things about the internet is how anyone with a keyboard can rant and rave to an audience they would normally have no access to. Case in point, a 14 year old lecturing to/bickering with a diverse group of adults on geopolitics. Does the word precocious come to your minds as well? (I hope I spelled that correctly or I might risk a chess match with ole'prodj). Prodj believe me when I tell you that you have no real concept of war at this tender age, most of us thankfully do not, our Ranger friend does and as they say "no one hates war more than soldier", when Ranger comments on the possiblity of war his words carry with them a weight earned through experience. Whether I agree with him, or anyone, about going to war with Iraq and whatever we may discuss/dispute will be based on mutual respect for each others opinions. All other forms of exchange are useless. One of the things you will hopefully learn as you grow older is humility another tolerance. *stepping down from soapbox* I wish you well, Tony

I suspect, Dean, that if we alternated going first and played an even number of games that all we would succeed in doing is building a cat house for a scoreboard. Having been a child prodigy, I have to say that there was far more burden in the process than joy... on most days.

I remember beating the world champion domino player when I was eleven... he had beaten me every game for over a year... and when I won one game (by applying what I had learned by playing him) he refused to play another game or even receive me in his home. When brightness is dimmed by ego, no one suffers more than he who thinks himself the bright one.

I find playing chess as a determiner of mental prowess to be one of the greates follies of all. Once you get beyond a certain skill level in chess, the winner is most likely to be the one who has committed to memory the most complete games... a low use of the knowledge potential of a bright person to illuminate the world in exchange for his metal gifts. In fact, once there was a businessman who was also a chess master who suggested a chess match to a client of mine to decide who would pay a $135,000 expense in a real estate deal. My client accepted the challenge if I could play for him. In fear of humiliation, the chess master elected to eat the $135,000 expense. Could I have beaten him... perhaps... in younger days I put a few chess masters away. Did it prove anything about our relative intellect? I hardly think so. It is what you do with what you have that counts... and everything else is window dressing... and living in a window is not my idea of a bright place to be.

So, my friend, I think I am compelled to sit back and see what makes deang tick, savor his geopolitical tack, and watch him tow his Forum antagonists through this marshy playing field. -HornED

I am beginning to regret ever telling you people my age, as it obviously leads to you not taking me seriously. Builder, I obviously wouldn't be able to sit down and right up a assult plan as well as an experienced veteran like yourself, but can you say you could pick up a saxophone and play proffesional level music flawlessly either? I understand that these are very different situations, but the fact of the matter is that everything takes practice: the saxophone, war tactics, riding a bike etc. And I must admit ranger, I do like the poster, however I am disapointed that all you can come up with as a comeback are spelling errors on my part. Obviously, no one takes their grammer and mechanics in this forum as seriously as they would a college exam paper. If you don't believe me, just look around the forum, you'll see more spelling, grammer, and puncuation errors than you can count. After all who has the time, or would want to, go back and spell check all of their posts with microsoft? As for chess, I am by no means a beginner. I have close to 500 games completed on yahoo alone, and I find the fact that you insult another players abilities, only to step away from the plate when challanged silly and cowardly. by the way, I remember someone saying "it is stupid for you to come on here and insult other members who have many more posts than you. you should know better than to challange someone with thousands of posts when you only have a few hunderd." well, I have over 1,000 posts now, and ranger has only a little over 100. But still, no respect. opinions not respected, opinions insulted even. Go back and look, you'll see that ranger and forrest gump were the ones to start the insulting, not me.

For some reason I imagine you would all look at this differently if it were coming from the mouth of HBDR, wrangler, horn ed, or any 50 year old man for that matter. I get the impression that my posts have no weight or impact simply due to my age, and I'm getting sick and tired of it.