CLEAN ENERGY

Gilbert

They could be repurposed by clever people.  Good find Gilbert, thanks.

"

"One start-up, Global Fiberglass Solutions, developed a method to break down blades and press them into pellets and fiber boards to be used for flooring and walls. The company started producing samples at a plant in Sweetwater, Texas, near the continent’s largest concentration of wind farms. It plans another operation in Iowa.

“We can process 99.9% of a blade and handle about 6,000 to 7,000 blades a year per plant,” said Chief Executive Officer Don Lilly. The company has accumulated an inventory of about one year’s worth of blades ready to be chopped up and recycled as demand increases, he said. “When we start to sell to more builders, we can take in a lot more of them. We’re just gearing up.”

• Like 2

Couldn't read the article with my locked down browser but there has always been a catch to it... usually consistency and reliability.

Remember being hopeful about solar back in 1972... HA! it still isn't cost-efficient!

If they are recycled into flooring will it be carcinogenic at all? Or would the guilt of all the dead birds make it taboo?

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Couldn't read the article with my locked down browser but there has always been a catch to it... usually consistency and reliability.

Remember being hopeful about solar back in 1972... HA! it still isn't cost-efficient!

If they are recycled into flooring will it be carcinogenic at all? Or would the guilt of all the dead birds make it taboo?

Yachts are made with fiberglass and there are no reports of getting cancer from boating.  On the other hand inhaling gasoline and other petroleum products....the dead everything from fossil fuel pollution hasn't induced a ton of guilt either.  I still drive my car, don't you?  There is a builder in Dallas who builds housing powered by solar, and the price is competitive with other luxury housing.  Solar is dependent upon where it is.  Hawaii, including military housing on base uses a lot of solar, so cost efficiency can't be all that bad can it?

Lots of ideas.  Hell, even a big pile making barriers is better than polluting the air and water and soil.  Alternative energy should be encouraged.  One size does not fit all with current technology but a combination can certainly help.  Another thread on thorium reactors or something like that is quite interesting.  In the meantime, it is patriotic and even important for national security to wean the economy off of total dependence on fossil fuels.  Think about it, the military, with the exception of some of the navy, relies on fossil fuels for it's might.  It will for quite a while as far as I can tell.  More that can be reserved for our national security instead of basic economic uses can only increase our strength as a nation.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

They could be repurposed by clever people.  Good find Gilbert, thanks.

Saw that a week or two ago and did what you did: Look to see what can be done with them. Hopefully they will come up with something that doesn't cost more than what raw material would. Not sure about today, but a few years ago I was reading where recycling aluminum costs more to try to reuse than starting with raw materials. 

There are many examples concerning the ill's of "Green Energy"....  not that I'm against alternative energy sources, because I surely am not.  But there are serious concerns that the media ignore and I get tired of seeing these damn emails popup just because I attend a seminar or two. 

Want to find some killer "literally" examples, do a little research about the con's of battery power (lithium mining) and solar power (PV module byproduct waste/pollution). It'll blow your mind, or at least it did mine at these seminars. A lot of it occurs in other countries, namely India, China, Brazil, and it's damn strange that nothing about the pollution makes the news. At least I've never seen it on the teley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

do the blades float ?

make one hell of a Pontoon boat...

She needs to be careful on the tractor. I saw an episode on Seinfeld, and you can get gonorrhea from sitting on them for too long. 50 eh, I doubt it.,

As for WIND ENERGY.... I hate what it does to the landscape. I wouldnt live anywhere near a wind farm. They're noisy (Noise Pollution) and spook the wildlife. The doe's and smaller critters seem to adjust, by force because there's no where to escape, but the big bucks has a nervous system that can't hack the change. The money they offer is fruit of the poison tree. Too many ranchers buy into it, only to regret the deal afterwards. Their kids who don't want to work the land like their parents and grandparents see the easy money and get lured in. The wind energy company's are every bit as bad as Oil & Gas. Lying about how good and dishing out the bad once the deal is done.

About the only place I find them somewhat appealing to look at is far far away for the backdrop on a ocean landscape, but damn if I'll ever want to fish around them. I'd rather be looking at an vast open space of water.

Here's a little take on your state of the art battery powered stuff. This shyt is really bad, and the fossil fuels used to mine and produce it will blow your mind. Poisons the water and the air, kills animals by the ship load. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Not sure about today, but a few years ago I was reading where recycling aluminum costs more to try to reuse than starting with raw materials. 

I may cost more to recycle, but using less raw materials can be a good thing. Might not be if recycling causes more pollution. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I may cost more to recycle, but using less raw materials can be a good thing. Might not be if recycling causes more pollution. 

I don't believe it works that way. Sure, using less raw material would be a good thing, unless we use more other raw materials to recycle. It's false economy... spending dollars to save pennies, in some cases.
When we replace one thing (Ex: coal, where we had finally developed extremely clean energy through years of refinements to scrub the nasties and had efficient electricity) with something else, we have to start over with the refinements. 

I try to be a good steward to the Earth and other people. As I have gotten more experience, I have learned that good intentions are not what should be measured, it's the results. 

• Like 1