NAG (SWAG2) Looking for the perfect location 2021

Brushy Mountain?  Full of character.

https://tourbrushy.com/

It's in a desolate location (about hour outside of Knoxville)

Has some housing provisions (snicker)...  gymnasium, open centralized "courtyard" (<--that has some irony within the root word)

As a side comment, they DO host events here.  I have no idea what time it shuts down or if you can rock on, into the night.

https://tourbrushy.com/plan-your-event-at-brushy

Might be kind of cool and kind of creepy at the same time, who knows....  Side comment, I've been here and did a self tour...and been here several other times for lunch.

Actually, it's an interesting place with an interesting (if not a bit unfortunate) history.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

https://tourbrushy.com/

It's in a desolate location (about hour outside of Knoxville)

Has some housing provisions (snicker)...  gymnasium, open centralized "courtyard" (<--that has some irony within the root word)

As a side comment, they DO host events here.  I have no idea what time it shuts down or if you can rock on, into the night.

https://tourbrushy.com/plan-your-event-at-brushy

Might be kind of cool and kind of creepy at the same time, who knows....  Side comment, I've been here and did a self tour...and been here several other times for lunch.

Actually, it's an interesting place with an interesting (if not a bit unfortunate) history.

Now that is a cool venue.

12 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

What about a theater, in a small town, walking distance to hotels, B&B, restaurants? It would surely cure a lot of the bad acoustic problems with different venues. 

That could work too. The barn I picked out with the bad acoustics was on purpose as we had planned for @Chris A to give us a tutorial on using REW to correct acoustically challenged rooms. The second reason the barn was picked was so @Dave A could bring his monster S-MWM's and let them breath. The event location needs to have ample room to unload and load equipment. Unless someone wants to just bring Bose.......

• Haha 2

It shouldn't be a problem to find a facility, especially if you make one accommodation: keeping loud performance inside instead of outside.  Here is an example that's about 1.5 miles from me:  https://www.arlingtontx.gov/city_hall/departments/parks_recreation/facilities/event_centers/lake_house_at_lake_arlington

The venue below is "brand spanking new". The rates are very reasonable (it's a municipal facility--so the city picks up the maintenance tab, and rates are held low for the citizens to afford). 

Lake%20Arlington%20Lake%20House.jpg

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15479000

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15479008

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15480065

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=16332170

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15479014

Dz0FLqLXQAEIcmW.jpg

o.jpg

These kind of places are everywhere, and it's usually municipalities that own them.  There's the same thing in the next city to the east (Grand Prairie) called Ruthie Jackson that I took classes in for a masters degree for two years (remote classes close to our place of business).  The university rented the entire venue on Fridays and Saturdays (all day) once a month for complete semesters.  If SMU can afford that, and feed us all breakfast and lunch to boot via hired caterers, I think it's probably pretty close to being within a budget like you had with the wedding barn.  I'd look for the closest suburb to the place you want to have the event and look for one of these type of places. 

Another for instance: there are two airports in the D/FW area (the home of American Airlines at D/FW International and Southwest Airlines at Love Field) and these venues are close to I-35W, I-30, I-20, and I-45 (in Dallas), as well as a lot of other state highways, etc.  and is a 3.5 hour drive from Hope, AR.  THere are motels, hotels, hostels, and other things to see everywhere (including the "black hole" where the Cowboys play, and the two stadiums where the Texas Rangers play/played. Six Flags, a water park, the first "esports" center, and museums, etc. within a 30 minute drive.  There are places to buy audio gear (Fry's, Mouser Electronics, etc., within 15 minutes).  And you can fish if you want.

If you get the event close to airlines and is easy to drive to, then more people would likely be willing to drive there to spread any costs.  (You don't necessarily have to go for bottom dollar to have a good event for a reasonable price.) My guess is, if there is a vaccine around by then (and there will be) many more people would be willing to make the trip than this year's event.

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockhound said:

Now that is a cool venue.

Actually, it really is an interesting place (if somewhat sad to a degree given some of the things that happened there).  

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

What about a theater, in a small town, walking distance to hotels, B&B, restaurants? It would surely cure a lot of the bad acoustic problems with different venues. 

Don't let  Chris fool anyone....  he's swapped pictures of Brushy Mountain prison and posted them as some swanky place in Arlington.  

I mean seriously....  he already admitted that this was owned by a municipality.... (secret code for a State institution...)  Note the following:

Brick wall construction (security), ramps for which the gurney carries out the....  never mind.

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

Lake%20Arlington%20Lake%20House.jpg

Strong beams on the ceiling (from which to hang ornery prisoners.....??)  High back chairs....  notice the handcuff slot at the top.  Makes sitting in them an act of contortion and these chairs were outlawed.

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15479000

Fine set of interrogation tables/chairs from which to make the prisoner sweat out the details and finally cry out his guilt, ala a Perry Mason moment.  Admit it, you've all seen Perry Mason and know exactly what I'm talking about.

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15479008

Dissection table from which they dissect....deer for dinner (admit it, you had a gross thought there)  That is however, a slightly smaller sink than optimal for cleaning a deer.  Maybe it's for frogs in which case the island is rather large unless there are many inmates cleaning the frogs.  Notice the strategically placed outlet at the end of the island, this is to plug in the taser wand to keep inmates from eating the rice crispy treats.

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15480065

Public meeting room to meet the family you left behind.  They appreciate seeing their tax dollars hard at work.

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=16332170

Multiple sets of double doors....for those infrequent inmate riots when they spill out into the playground

GalleryPhotoModern.aspx?photoId=15479014

With a macabre sense of irony....  these actually remind and taunt the prisoners to keep in line.  They're allowed to see a nice body of water that is actually full of Pirannah  and gators.  The image is projected upon a screen and those "tables" with the balloons on them....are little reminders to the prisoners of the local furnaces.  "Be square or be there" is the local motto.  I know....sick but this is East Tennessee and this location did have James  Earl Ray as a guest.  Notice how there are bars everywhere and I do not mean to get @CECAA850 all excited

Dz0FLqLXQAEIcmW.jpg

Wonders of 8K images.  Imagine how this view used to suck when they used a 12" CRT to show this image.  More bars.  So close, yet so far.

o.jpg

All of the above is gospel truth....you just read it on the internet.  Besides, would I lie?? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coytee said:

come on down ,   :biggrin:-

This will be an experience like no other. It will surprise you, terrify you, and make you wonder what it would’ve been like to be locked up in here for the rest of your God-given life.

There are more than 30 stations, each containing the story of what happened in that particular spot. Some will talk of violent acts, killings. Others about the moments family members came to visit. And still others will give you a glimpse inside the troubled minds of the hardened criminals that served time at Brushy.  

These men had committed unforgivable crimes, but they still had souls. But somewhere, somehow, their lives took a wrong turn.

We look forward to seeing you when you come to visit us at Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary. It will be an experience you carry with you for the rest of your life.

On 12/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, rockhound said:

That could work too. The barn I picked out with the bad acoustics was on purpose as we had planned for @Chris A to give us a tutorial on using REW to correct acoustically challenged rooms. The second reason the barn was picked was so @Dave A could bring his monster S-MWM's and let them breath. The event location needs to have ample room to unload and load equipment. Unless someone wants to just bring Bose.......

Sorry, I meant any venue/banquet hall could have bad acoustics. That barn was great, and having a patio on each end of the building was nice also, having 2 sound systems playing at once....and with no sound limits. Add on site lodging/camping, and that place is perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 10:16 AM, Ceptorman said:

Add on site lodging/camping, and that place is perfect.

you guys looked real comfortable , and none of you wore masks for Covid -----that speaks of how isolated  of a spot it was ----

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 9:24 PM, RandyH000 said:

you guys looked real comfortable , and none of you wore masks for Covid -----that speaks of how isolated  of a spot it was ----

It was only a few miles out of town, but secluded enough to play any sound system outside, even 2 systems at once.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billybob said:

Dang, secluded sounds like the priority. The rest is obvious. Good hunting.

Secluded had it's advantages and disadvantages.  I replaced a woofer and a diaphragm in one of the EV's when I got home.  LOL, they obviously weren't rated for reproduction of Cannons at the db level we were pushing them to.  On the bright side, I had a set of Kapplite's NIB that I put in and then ordered 2 more to replace the other bass bin woofers because they were a big improvement over the really good stock drivers.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Pete H said:

Secluded had it's advantages and disadvantages.  I replaced a woofer and a diaphragm in one of the EV's when I got home.  LOL, they obviously weren't rated for reproduction of Cannons at the db level we were pushing them to.  On the bright side, I had a set of Kapplite's NIB that I put in and then ordered 2 more to replace the other bass bin woofers because they were a big improvement over the really good stock drivers.  

Seems secluded helped trouble shoot the EV's. Hope then a location like your last location with the basics required, can be found. May not be ideal but, a group of 20 or more Klipsch members should be able to sort it out.

Again good looking...lol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pete H said:

Sorry about the speaker damage Pete, showing off for the new guy. Those cannons did sound wonderful. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, Ceptorman said:

Sorry about the speaker damage Pete, showing off for the new guy. Those cannons did sound wonderful. 

It's all good.  There had to be an issue with the voice coil already.  They weren't being overpowered and the replacement diaphragm for the horn driver was very reasonable.   

On 1/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, Pete H said:

On 1/6/2021 at 9:14 AM, Ceptorman said:

Did he ask you to hold his beer while he turned it up? It is customary right before blowing a woofer &/or diaphragm>