K402 newby setup

tromprof

35 minutes ago, richieb said:

Yes, have an automotive wrap applied. Hundreds of option, might be able close match the bass bin. When you want a new look, peel it off and go again. Once painted you’re pretty much stuck with color.  I’ll try to post pics of mine wrapped in an iridescent blue. 

I would like to see that.

How did you have it applied (DIY or professional)?

20 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

I like your K402 with Mumps -

DSCF0644.JPG.e3a7ec997fcab0d69f00e124aefee187.JPG

I asked @Chief bonehead if the 402 would be getting mumps and he said it doesn't really need them.  The loss of coverage control that mumps solves in the smaller horns like the 510 and the Heritage Tractrix midrange horns doesn't happen in the larger 402.   I wonder if adding them causes any issues.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, MMurg said:

I asked @Chief bonehead if the 402 would be getting mumps and he said it doesn't really need them.  The loss of coverage control that mumps solves in the smaller horns like the 510 and the Heritage Tractrix midrange horns doesn't happen in the larger 402.   I wonder if adding them causes any issues.

I don't think I would mess around changing 402's unless I was going to try the MEH idea. I have no intention of doing so at this time and the 402 remains the king of the hill in my book.

12 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Actually that picture shows "anti-mumps". Incidentally, the JBL horn and driver are very good (I have had both the K-402 and the JBL .....)

JBL is obviously still in the game, but perhaps after different markets.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

JBL is obviously still in the game, but perhaps after different markets.

I'd love to have the opportunity to give the higher end JBL Synthesis stuff a try but there is zero used market in Canada and they are scary money for something I've never listened to before. From what I gather they're huge in Asian markets being used in the home instead of pro environments, in North America it seems pretty studio centric.

On 10/29/2021 at 2:25 PM, tromprof said:

I am still figuring out painting.

The best way to paint a horn is by attaching the horn driver flange to a turntable, so you can rotate the horn as you spray the paint, starting at the inside bottom, rather than walking around a stationary horn. I made a turntable from an old office chair. Remove the seat, add a piece of wood as a four bolt horn adapter, screwed to the office chair base swivel mount.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

The best way to paint a horn is by attaching the horn driver flange to a turntable, so you can rotate the horn as you spray the paint, starting at the inside bottom, rather than walking around a stationary horn. I made a turntable from an old office chair. Remove the seat, add a piece of wood as a four bolt horn adapter, screwed to the office chair base swivel mount.

Slick trick. This will raise the used value of old office chairs!

• Like 1

Well, my wife told me to leave the 402s alone and not paint them.

She likes the sound and doesn’t mind black. The damaged pair are in the basement so she doesn’t care about looks down there, and the pristine  replacement pair are on top of the Klipschorns in our teaching studio and she thinks black makes them less omnipresent.

A truly understanding and indulgent person!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, tromprof said:

she thinks black makes them less omnipresent.

The black really does, after awhile, make them less noticeable. Always a plus to have an understanding wife, too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tromprof said:

Well, my wife told me to leave the 402s alone and not paint them.

She likes the sound and doesn’t mind black. The damaged pair are in the basement so she doesn’t care about looks down there, and the pristine  replacement pair are on top of the Klipschorns in our teaching studio and she thinks black makes them less omnipresent.

checkout these 2 pictures --the new Jubilee has a front wooden section that covers  the k402 and the panel  screws into the horn from the rear with short screws/nuts  all around -

you can work something similar   , but not as wide , with the  bottom damaged section hidden  underneath the board  , and 0 need to paint the horn , 

The New Jubilee - Page 10 - General Klipsch Info - The Klipsch Audio  Community

F9BE63E6-7304-4A01-B9CC-4F09C89BD903.thumb.jpeg.49f1572cf6a3ecba1570cc2707655998.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

The black really does, after awhile, make them less noticeable. Always a plus to have an understanding wife, too.

Not as good as WHITE, where they "dissappear" into WHITE walls, rather than the less visually resolved "blackness."

Learned this from a Kodak Q-14 where tones below Middle Gray are less visually discerned than the lighter tones.

I must say I am totally pleased with the sound of these things. It's AWESOME!!!

Sounds great in both the theater and with the Klipschorns, but it's with the Klipschorns where the sound really improvement is so huge. I have really enjoyed listening to two channel again for the first time in a long time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tromprof said:

I must say I am totally pleased with the sound of these things. It's AWESOME!!!

Sounds great in both the theater and with the Klipschorns, but it's with the Klipschorns where the sound really improvement is so huge. I have really enjoyed listening to two channel again for the first time in a long time.

Which drivers are you using in each setup?