The Audio Impact of Solar Panels and Battery Backup

Edgar

I have always been curious about this concept and how it would affect a system.  Not saying its a driver to go out and install this type of off grid system for audio, but I am surprised that people haven't' done so.. especially if some in Japan are installing their own power pole.

3 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

This is why headphone guys have battery powered headphone amps and DACs.

Since my "all horn system" has 106-112 db Sensitivity, I'm about to use a Headphone Amp to drive the R&L, 3-way, passive networked, channels with the same technology that is used in the Benchmark AHB2 Amplifier (THX AAA 888 technology). I am a huge proponent of rating Power Amplifiers in dbWatts, so I'm only giving up 10 dbWatts in going from 100 Watts per channel down to about 10 watts per channel in the process.

So getting 80 db of output at my sweet spot only requires about 50 Milliwatts per channel, which gives me 26 db of headroom and up to 116 db PEAK output before clipping, with additional 3-4 output from the Full Horn Subwoofer (about the size of a Refrigerator) That has it's own 20 dbWatt Amplifier (it is a 105 db sensitive horn with 6 db boost at it's low cutoff, with 100 Watt Plate Amp, which is affordable, distortion wise). So, basically the "system" can reach 120 db peaks with not trouble at all, since the bass blow 80 Hz., down to 25 hz. is still provided by a full HORN!

MUSIC content gets down that low, only rarely, so if I think I need to get down below 25 Hz. for greater impact of the, say, Digital Canons in the TELARC 1812 Overture (the Sub Killer on CD since 1983!), I simply bring it upstairs to play on my HT system that can get down in the teens with 30 dbWatt output and 100 db Sensitivity with Zero compromise in sound quality.

Since the 10 dbW Headphone Amp uses a 10 volt power supply, I can easily use my spare Car Battery to power it and will be the subject of a future A/B test.

Oh, and the Headphone amp is $189.00 on Amazon, which means the entire system cost, including all the horns is roughly the cost of the Benchmark AHB2 amp only. So spending money on wood horns, you can use small amplifiers that cost 10-40 Times LESS and have a reduction of DISTORTION in the process of also using lower voltage DC supplies! HORNS RULE!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Not quite, maybe at absolute zero. 

Battery Noise.pdf 343.58 kB · 1 download

I read that paper, which is from obsolete battery technology of 30 years ago.

We need something that tests the noise in NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries to be more up to date on this.

Also, Car batteries should be explored, since they are so common as well and can EASILY power Amplifiers that are perfect for driving Big Horns in Homes!!

13 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I read that paper, which is from obsolete battery technology of 30 years ago.

We need something that tests the noise in NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries to be more up to date on this.

Also, Car batteries should be explored, since they are so common as well and can EASILY power Amplifiers that are perfect for driving Big Horns in Homes!!

My point was that all sources of power will have an impact on noise and ultimately the audio quality of electronic circuits. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

My point was that all sources of power will have an impact on noise and ultimately the audio quality of electronic circuits. 

Got it. I'm also pretty sure that ALL batteries have less noise than most AC/DC conversion methods that serve as amplifier power supplies.

Since an my all horn and mostly horns with DR's in the mix, all have 100+ db/Watt efficiency and proportionally lower distortion, they are most sensitive to noise.

With the advent of Cheap, Low Power, Solid State Amplifiers that have 40 db less noise than the best of Tube Amplifiers, why should we really care about this except for an academic exercise or casual knowledge that is rarely needed?

Thanks for the article either way.

I did a quick look-up, and rechargeable batteries appear to have internal resistance somewhat higher than electrolytic capacitors. I am not aware [*] of any reason that capacitors could not be used with a battery power supply in exactly the same way that they are presently used with a rectified AC power supply. In the battery case they would not be used to filter ripple, but rather as short-term low-impedance current sources.

[*] Doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. Only means that I'm not aware of it, if it does.

14 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Vini Rossi is one amp designer i've read about, whose earlier amps had an internal battery that charged off the wall and then powered the speakers using the battery only.  

There was a whole line of amplifiers that operated in that fashion. I think that it was back in the 1970s or 1980s. I cannot remember the brand name. They looked pretty good, but didn't survive.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Edgar said:

There was a whole line of amplifiers that operated in that fashion. I think that it was back in the 1970s or 1980s. I cannot remember the brand name. They looked pretty good, but didn't survive.

I have one, it's modified. Nirvana Electronic Works. Too dark for a picture right now.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:11 AM, Edgar said:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/the-audio-impact-of -solar-panels-and-battery-backup-comparing-sound-quality-of-panels-batteries-and-the-grid-r1072/

The next step is to eliminate AC altogether, and power all components directly from batteries. They all convert AC to DC internally anyway.

In the original tube gear, they refer to battery

might be an interesting retro build