Songs to test your setup

Flevoman

I have some well-recorded Acoustic music by Michael Gulezian that has some great transients and clarity.  Soundgarden 'Superunknown' album is very well recorded, as is 'Everybody loves a Happy Ending' by Tears for Fears.  Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" might be one of the best recorded pop music albums of all time.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 7:22 PM, Ceptorman said:

To impress my friends, I'll play "Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel, with Kate Bush singing with him. It's loaded with low end, plus Kate's voice piecing the upper end. It will test your equipment for sure, especially the bass guitar at the end.

I've used this track for years, as well... the opening notes, the vocals, all are superbly recorded.  Two other tracks from the album are also reference-quality: "Mercy Street" and "In Your Eyes", with the former being one I always start with for my own ears.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chuckears said:

I've used this track for years, as well... the opening notes, the vocals, all are superbly recorded.  Two other tracks from the album are also reference-quality: "Mercy Street" and "In Your Eyes", with the former being one I always start with for my own ears.

Familiarity with music, songs is a great test... thanks.

• Like 1

Two albums I always go with are Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" and Mary Chapin-Carpenter's "Between Here and Gone".  They both have a wide variety of material, very well-recorded and with a nice range of instruments.

Peter Gabriel's "So" has been mentioned already in this thread - it's the third selection.

Whether it's from a classical-era composer or a film soundtrack, I ALWAYS use classical instruments - the best Klipsch speakers, set up properly and fed by good sources through quality pre- and power amps, will make instruments on good recordings sound like they're in the room with you (or, better yet, transport you to the studio or venue). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chuckears said:

Two albums I always go with are Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" and Mary Chapin-Carpenter's "Between Here and Gone".  They both have a wide variety of material, very well-recorded and with a nice range of instruments.

Peter Gabriel's "So" has been mentioned already in this thread - it's the third selection.

Whether it's from a classical-era composer or a film soundtrack, I ALWAYS use classical instruments - the best Klipsch speakers, set up properly and fed by good sources through quality pre- and power amps, will make instruments on good recordings sound like they're in the room with you (or, better yet, transport you to the studio or venue). 

We have similar taste in music. Peter Gabriel'a raspy voice alongside Kate Bush's opera style voice blend very well together. And the electric bass just gives your speakers a workout. 

I love the Wildflowers album, it has Tom's best song ever.....Crawling Back To You.

The soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange movie. Anything by The Smashing Pumpkins will fill the bass need.

• Like 2

Tons of good suggestions here! My 2-pennies-worth, is just to agree with, and cherry-pick existing posts.  

Soundgarden "Superunkown" is an audiophile-level production. Hard rock w/Klipsch is some kind of perfect alchemy.

W/ Jazz, just be sure it's a great recording and fits your taste... you'll hear textures and dynamics in new ways. I love early Herbie Hancock, along with Paul Chambers, Kenny Burrell and Jimmy Smith.

For popular music, Peter Gabriel "So" and Tom Petty "Wildflowers" are inspired, and near-perfect productions. Alice In Chains "Unplugged" too. Amazing recording. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyErnie said:

If you want low-frequency extension and quality, 'Dare' by Gorillaz goes all the way down.  there's an 'E' subharmonic that is in the neighborhood of 20Hz.

Lascala is limited to 50Hz.. 🙁

On 7/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, Flevoman said:

Which CDs/songs do you use to test your set? 
Specific songs to test the bass, or to test if all instruments and vocals are properly positioned, etc.

I don't mean to just give you a list of songs that sound good on your setup, but rather songs that you specifically use to test a particular aspect of the sound in your setup and for what are you using this song. 

Personally, I use the song "Too Much Rope," track number 8 from the album "Amused to Death," as a guideline for speaker placement. 
You can hear a sleigh moving from completely outside the left speaker to completely outside the right speaker.
By adjusting the rotation and placement of the speakers, I try to achieve the smoothest possible transition of the sleigh from the left to the right speaker.

Oh where to begin.......  A few of my fav's in no particular order: 

Tears For Fears -- "Woman In Chains"

Steve Miller --  "Threshold"

Queen -- "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Alan Parsons Project -- "I Wouldn't Want To Be LIke You"

Rush -- "Tom Sawyer"

Lorde -- "Royals"

Moby -- "Porcelain"

Gary Numan -- "M. E."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Oh where to begin.......  A few of my fav's in no particular order: