RIP Tony Bennett 96 Y.O.

ClaudeJ1

Being 74 he was somewhat before my time but since getting old and listening to some of his music the last few years one has to admit the guy could really sing. His recordings with Lady Gaga are some of my favorites and I am not a big fan of Gaga. Her music is just not my taste but like Tony Gaga has a great trained voice. 

RIP

• Like 3

@MicroMara lots seem to think about Gaga and a money grab.  Deep down inside though Gaga worked her magic and took him back to his prime knowing he was suffering with Alzheimer's. 

Thinking about a boost to her image?  I don't know but I don't think she needs a boost w/anything.  She's Gaga just like she's always been.  She stepped up her game hangin with him when she didn't have to. 

Compassion for her fellow man?  Respect?  That boost?  The real reason may surface someday but you can't say he wasn't happy with her.  Dementia took my mother and it's the ugliest thing in the world to watch.

Mom pushed me to take piano lessons when I was a kid.  I did but it sucked so I quit.   An old woman with a metronome?  I was born w/a metronome!  One day I saw a keyboard at a garage sale.  The lady said it worked fine but her son never played it.  Best 40$ I ever spent. 

Took it into my mom's room at the place we had to move her into.   She had a fit yet that same day after I left she had someone push her over and she played notes with one finger.  One of the aides there told me about it.  I knew it would happen.

The next day when I stopped she wanted to play for me so I pushed her wheelchair over and she played with all her heart one note at a time beaming at me.  Yea, she knew me better than I knew myself when she pushed me into piano lessons. 

Then she was gone but I left the keyboard there for someone else to enjoy their last days on earth.  Alzheimer's is such a horrible thing to watch loved ones go thru.

Back to Gaga.  I bought the lp's and enjoy them both believing what she did was a good thing for a fellow artist.  The eye winks, fancy prom dress just all of it were what Tony remembered.  He also knew she was darn good at what she did.  Sad that he's gone but kudo's to her for helping him go out the way he should.  Legendary!

• Like 4

I couldn't agree with you more, Dave. MY dad died from cancer, mom was sharp as a tack until her body just stopped

But my wife works with folks with all kinds of dementia. And it can be very ugly. They use a lot of music therapy where we work and it's amazing how a light bulb comes on when they hear music from their past.

Kinda breaks your heart to listen to the last song of Glen Campbell - I'm not gonna miss you.

And rest in peace, Tony.

• Thanks 2

@Marvel thanks for that I'd completely forgotten about the video.  Who didn't love that man?  One of the best studio men in the business and when he stepped out on his own he took the world by storm.  The timing was perfect.  Then the TV shows with all the guys he knew.  It was etched in stone every week when he hit the tube growing up.

One amazing and funny guy for sure.  Alzheimer's sucks!  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dave1291 said:

Mom pushed me to take piano lessons when I was a kid.  I did but it sucked so I quit.   An old woman with a metronome?  I was born w/a metronome!  One day I saw a keyboard at a garage sale.  The lady said it worked fine but her son never played it.  Best 40$ I ever spent. 

Took it into my mom's room at the place we had to move her into.   She had a fit yet that same day after I left she had someone push her over and she played notes with one finger.  One of the aides there told me about it.  I knew it would happen.

The next day when I stopped she wanted to play for me so I pushed her wheelchair over and she played with all her heart one note at a time beaming at me.  Yea, she knew me better than I knew myself when she pushed me into piano lessons. 

Then she was gone but I left the keyboard there for someone else to enjoy their last days on earth.  Alzheimer's is such a horrible thing to watch loved ones go thru.

My respect and man-love for you just doubled.  My mother walked that same walk so my eyes are watering.  (also pushed into taking piano lessons against my will....  can't hardly play chopsticks today BUT that "training" made me wicked on a keyboard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

My respect and man-love for you just doubled.  My mother walked that same walk so my eyes are watering.  (also pushed into taking piano lessons against my will....  can't hardly play chopsticks today BUT that "training" made me wicked on a keyboard.

That metronome clicking while I was doing scales?  Seriously?  Done, not going back, no way.  About that time "Little' Stevie Wonder was fully engrained in my soul.  Now if that old bat had ANY soul at all she'd have had me beggin for more.   

When I got my license I just "disappeared" with one of the cars and somehow wound up @ the Roostertail in Detroit 2.5 hours later.  I had it ALL werkin then!  Then it was 2.5 hours back home.   THAT happened every Sunday just about.  Stevie read the white boy's face one time and he'd always ask ppl if I was there.  Yea, he knew the story cause I told him.  He was rollin and couldn't believe it.  That's my story and I'm stickin to it.  I became a wicked admirerer of those who were bada$$.  Kicked myself many times over the years.  Perhaps it was a strange way to tell her she was right and I was wrong.  Maybe that's why she had a fit when I showed up with it.  An admittance of guilt from me and I offered up a keyboard to show her she was right I'll never know.  But she loved that thing and would play it daily for me right up until a few weeks before she passed.  I'd always smile and listen to every lil random note intently.  She didn't like any of the enhancements just those pure simple notes.    Broke my heart when she stopped cause that told me the end was near.  Life.  Simple.  Yet I think of her almost daily.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, babadono said:

ou hung out with little Stevie Wonder at the Roostertail in DEEEEETROIT?

I knew everyone in every Motown group on the planet.  There weren't 50 white kids in the place on any given Sunday.  Every ONE of us was there for the same reason whether we were black or white.  To get a groove on and that we did.  CKLW cranked on the way home sangin along.  Many times solo and once in a while someone would disappear and go with me.  To this day I can't understand why NO one would go to Woodstock with me.  Sheesh!  We'd have made it home someday.   :)     😂