La Scalas and Rythmik subs

beaufleuve

I may have posted a while back on my search for a sub for my new La Scala's. Got a lot of love for Rythmik so I looked into them. Spoke with Brian at the company. He said that he couldn't recommend ANY Rythmik subs because La Scalas are so hard to match. The bass response (I'm pretty much a beginner and very not technical) is set at 40, not the more textbook 60, which makes them a ***** to match. I'm sure you guys all know that. The only way it would work, he said, is if your room happens to be the right size and shape. 

Also said he gets far more returns from Klipsch horn owners than any other speaker, for this reason.

I may try some Rel's, since they apparently have an audition program. But it's depressing. I love the speakers, but miss the fast, powerful bass I had with my Paradigm Founder 120Hs. I know it's just one guy's opinion, but he makes the f'in subs and wouldn't sell me one. 

That doesn’t make much sense to me. 

By “match” is he meaning crossover? 

Perhaps he gets returns because his subs aren’t fast enough to match La Scalas (or other similar horn-loaded speakers)? A horn-loaded sub (such as a THT or THTLP) is a lovely match with La Scalas.

Klipsch is about to release matching subs for the Heritage line.  Hang on and get one specifically for Lascalas.  A horn sub, from Klipsch.  With built in DSP and powered.  Just plug it in.

I agree it is very difficult to find any sub that could be considered a true match for a Khorn or Lascala.

But the true matches are coming.

See the Klipsch Museuem threads on this.

• Like 1

All of these Direct Radiating Subwoofers are more alike than they are different... some are better built than others, some have more output than others, some have more features than others... but at the end of the day, they are similar.

I ran an OLD sw115 with La Scala II's for years with great success... the trick is blending them correctly and not allowing the subwoofer to over power that sub 40Hz region of the frequency band.

If you've chosen to go with a direct radiating subwoofer over a horn loaded subwoofer, then it really doesn't matter that much imho... choose your features, choose your output and choose your price point and with some finesse, I am sure you'll be a happy camper... UNTIL SOMETHING BETTER COMES ALONG, hint.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, beaufleuve said:

he probably did say crossover ... it was a long conversation and I'm not very technical.

will look at those options. someone also recommended getting a minidsp. whatever works.

+1 on the MiniDSP. I’ve had a 2x4HD and a Flex Eight. Both have been very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beaufleuve said:

he probably did say crossover ... it was a long conversation and I'm not very technical.

will look at those options. someone also recommended getting a minidsp. whatever works.

Lol, you are and will be come more technically aware over time, by following this forum overtime...a good thing.

• Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, Schu said:

All of these Direct Radiating Subwoofers are more alike than they are different... some are better built than others, some have more output than others, some have more features than others... but at the end of the day, they are similar.

I ran an OLD sw115 with La Scala II's for years with great success... the trick is blending them correctly and not allowing the subwoofer to over power that sub 40Hz region of the frequency band.

If you've chosen to go with a direct radiating subwoofer over a horn loaded subwoofer, then it really doesn't matter that much imho... choose your features, choose your output and choose your price point and with some finesse, I am sure you'll be a happy camper... UNTIL SOMETHING BETTER COMES ALONG, hint.

It’s coming….

I like the MiniDSP 2x4 HD just to cut certain frequencies in my subwoofers. I think it makes a great eq tool for that purpose. I like both tapped horn and 6th order parallel bandpass subwoofers done right because they have very little distortion and slam in spades.