Chief Bonehead Class Spring 2024 - New Iterations of the La Scala and Klipschorn Coming

On 4/11/2024 at 11:13 AM, Flevoman said:

I'm curious about so much that's coming up. I can't wait until some more official information about the new subs and La Scala upgrade finally comes out.

Agreed, really looking forward to what is coming. Those of us who attended the demo events recognize the remarkable performance gains that have been achieved.

• Like 2

Good! Because I upgraded my preamp and amps to a McIntosh C8 tube preamp and a pair of MC830 SS mono-blocks just over a year ago but that was before the La Scala’s were in the picture of being my replacement speakers. I’m a little relieved since all I read about is tube amps being used. I auditioned the La Scales in 3 different shops around the country and all of them used SS amps that sound fantastic to me. Now it looks like I need to find a 4 channel amp. The chase is never over?

2 hours ago, Ponch0069 said:

Good! Because I upgraded my preamp and amps to a McIntosh C8 tube preamp and a pair of MC830 SS mono-blocks just over a year ago but that was before the La Scala’s were in the picture of being my replacement speakers. I’m a little relieved since all I read about is tube amps being used. I auditioned the La Scales in 3 different shops around the country and all of them used SS amps that sound fantastic to me. Now it looks like I need to find a 4 channel amp. The chase is never over?

Four-channel?  If you are considering waiting for the new La Scala version, you'll need a 6-channel amp (or two 3-channel or three 2-channel or six monoblocks... 😁).  I've already purchased two additional stereo amps in anticipation of the upgrade kit.  Got a good deal on two more demo units of the stereo amp I'm currently using with my AL5s.

• Like 2

@MMurg I just want to be clear in my head that I  can use the MC830 mono-blocks that  I already have for the LF section of the active crossover and will need four more channels of amplification for the MF & HF section of the active crossover? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 9:50 AM, Ponch0069 said:

@MMurg I just want to be clear in my head that I  can use the MC830 mono-blocks that  I already have for the LF section of the active crossover and will need four more channels of amplification for the MF & HF section of the active crossover? 

You will need an active crossover (which I think @Paducah Home Theater mentioned they are going to provide with the units).

You can use the MC830s for the low end with the output going from the XO's low output into the back of the amplifiers.

Of course, you then need to find 4 extra channels (a 2 channel amp for highs, another 2 channel for mids, with appropriate power).

• Like 1