Music you just don't "get"

gtDark

Sheesh you guys are harsh LOL.. the only band I really don't get is THE DOORS... I guess maybe you would have to have grown up in that era? As for everything else, I'm pretty open, different moods require different music so that's why I have a wide range. As a matter of fact I checked out Kenny Chesney, Kieth Urban, and Dierks Bentley last night... excellent show!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 4/2/2004 3:52:24 PM Griffinator wrote:

Music that I don't get but should? Or do you mean stuff that everyone else thinks is great and don't understand why I hate it?

----------------

The latter is what I was talking about. Regarding the prior, you don't have to "get" any music, it's all about what the music does for you. But I know you already know that.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 4:13:11 PM John Albright wrote:

I don't get Nine Inch Nails.

----------------

My advice is to listen to "La Mer" immediately followed by "The Great Below." I think you'll get it then 12.gif. Seriously.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 4:26:06 PM hwatkins wrote:

This got me thinking a bit - I really, really don't get Simon and Garfunkel. I try and try to make sense of the lyrics and it doesn't even come out as reasonable poetry.

----------------

Haha... I remember in the 8th grade my English teacher was really into them... she had us listen to the "sound of silence" (i think thats the name) like at least 5 times, and then we had to discuss it etc etc etc. So I guess it made sense to her...

----------------

On 4/2/2004 5:49:45 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 4/2/2004 5:06:28 PM 3dzapper wrote:

OPERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

----------------

Agreed!

----------------

Oh hell ya for sure... I don't think people actually like it, I think that people pretend to like it so they look educated, well rounded and full of culture. Not my gig (opera that is)

Eminem

Can't stand him, nor can I stand Kid Rock.

Just about any of the "Bubble-Gum Pop" groups, such as N-Stink, Britany Spaced-out, Justin Timberfake, etc.

Give me the 80's hair-bands and old-school metal anyday. I can listen to that all day (and sometimes I do 11.gif)

----------------

On 4/2/2004 8:06:11 PM skonopa wrote:

Eminem

Can't stand him, nor can I stand Kid Rock.

Just about any of the "Bubble-Gum Pop" groups, such as N-Stink, Britany Spaced-out, Justin Timberfake, etc.

Give me the 80's hair-bands and old-school metal anyday. I can listen to that all day (and sometimes I do
11.gif
)

----------------

Kid Rock is useless to me, but the first time I sat down and really listened to "Stan", I was mesmerized. Eminem can tell a story that will make your hair curl. That's the appeal to me.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 4:26:06 PM hwatkins wrote:

This got me thinking a bit - I really, really don't get Simon and Garfunkel. I try and try to make sense of the lyrics and it doesn't even come out as reasonable poetry.

----------------

It was Art Garfunkel that was really the poet. My older brother (8 years) bought all their records back in the early 70's through one of the first "record clubs" through mail order. Me, being too young to have any say over what I wanted to listen to, had listen to what he played. After a while it wasn't that bad, some of the lyrics started to make some sense here and there. My brother was the child prodigy brainy one of us kids so I guess we just tried to follow his lead in some things.

My father had a second job as a handyman for a large convent of Catholic nuns. He would take me there to (somewhat) watch over me since no one was home that could. Somehow I remember hearing music from Parsley, Sage Rosemary & Thyme. The album cover has Paul and Art dressed in cassocks for a church service and I made that connection ever since.

My girlfriend is a bit older than I so to every Saturday I play one of their albums quietly while we have pancakes for breakfast.

Now when Paul and Art broke up then things started changing. Art's Angel Clair album started talking about lonely children and murdering little girls named Barbara Allen. His Breakaway album was a bit more romantic and sappy.

Paul's next release, self titled Paul Simon, started to get away from the 60's long-haired era and concentrated on mid-life issues, playin' one-on-one basketball with a friend and his relationship with his father. There Goes Rymin' Simon got into less decadent and prim & proper subjects like those from the Bookends era. It spoke a lot of mass housing in New York, having children, loving your spouse and appreciating nature around you. With Bookends you could almost picture yourself on a train in some foreign country.

Though I'm not gonna go through each album for a review but, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for their choice but those two guys had a small hand in the way I thought about things when I was growing up from 6 years old till today.1.gif

----------------

On 4/2/2004 5:56:39 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 4/2/2004 5:49:45 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 4/2/2004 5:06:28 PM 3dzapper wrote:

OPERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

----------------

Agreed!

----------------

Oh hell ya for sure... I don't think people actually like it, I think that people pretend to like it so they look educated, well rounded and full of culture. Not my gig (opera that is)

----------------

My problem with 'listening' to opera - it's meant to be seen and heard - I think it's analogous to 'listening' to the audio tracks from a motion picture, sans video.

Years ago, I watched Wagner's Ring Cycle on PBS - it was interesting, but I don't know if I'd care to listen to the CD.

I like Jazz - when I was young I liked fusion, but I find as I get older I prefer 'classic' Jazz more and fusion less and less. Preferably quartet or trios. I've heard some of Coltrane's classic cuts on Music Choice so I thought I'd buy a Coltrane album.

Well, I made a rather unenlightened purchase of Coltrane's album 'Ascension' - I didn't realize it was his 'transition' album to more 'modern' Jazz. I must be getting old, but to my ears it's the most unmelodic cacophony of various random horns I've ever heard. I bought the album two weeks ago, and I don't think I've listened to more than 10 minutes of it.

Yet, since my purchase I've read glowing reviews of this album. Only a small minority, like yours truly, seem to dislike this work. I just don't 'get' it yet.

String quartets annoy the crap outta me, but I can get into opera...sometimes.

Rap...forget about it!

Country...naw, but old bluegrass pickin' is okay.

Bob Dylan...never a big fan. Guess he can tell a story, but can't sing very well.

Classical compositions of the 20th Century...just random noise that no one can whistle a tune to!

But I do like AC/DC and The Doors!

Juba310,

You didn't by any chance have Miss Insinia in Columbia Junior High, Summit, NJ did you? She took the train in from Nutley every day, and used to rip the posters off the walls and bus shelters and bring them in... she was big into S&G, and also was the sponser of the Folk Rock club...

The White Stripes (Don't know why anyone thinks they are good)

Beyonce (Boring, Monotonous, did not deserve even ONE Grammy)

Most Jazz (Boring)

Most Classical (reminds me of Looney Tunes)

Norah Jones doesn't do anything for me.

I wish I could make myself like Punk, because punk rockers look cool, but the music is garbage.