Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

If you do get a projector, do a bit of research. A good picture starts at just over $1000.00, but if you want a 2.35:1 picture that will cost closer to $2000.00 . Of course they go up from there. Screens or screen paint start aroung $250.00, but most people spend closer to $1000.00. Again, size matters here, so the bigger you go the more you'll spend.

That is cheap!!! My Tv was over $4,000

They are relatively inexpensive, of course the technology is changing rapidly and you get what you pay for, but I would say you can get an EXCELLENT projector and screen for less than what you spent on your TV. Again, though, do some research as not every pj is a good fit for every room. Size, brightness, lens, and many other paticulars come into play on the different projectors...also you want to match it to the right screen. Look at some of the Panasonics and higher end Epson's for a starting point. I had a limited budget that is likely below where you are at so I can't get into too many recomendations.

If you do get a projector, do a bit of research. A good picture starts at just over $1000.00, but if you want a 2.35:1 picture that will cost closer to $2000.00 . Of course they go up from there. Screens or screen paint start aroung $250.00, but most people spend closer to $1000.00. Again, size matters here, so the bigger you go the more you'll spend.

That is cheap!!! My Tv was over $4,000

They are relatively inexpensive, of course the technology is changing rapidly and you get what you pay for, but I would say you can get an EXCELLENT projector and screen for less than what you spent on your TV. Again, though, do some research as not every pj is a good fit for every room. Size, brightness, lens, and many other paticulars come into play on the different projectors...also you want to match it to the right screen. Look at some of the Panasonics and higher end Epson's for a starting point. I had a limited budget that is likely below where you are at so I can't get into too many recomendations.

Dumb question...I calibrate TV's (LOVE it!!)...how is a projectors picture compared to a top of the line plasma??? Good black levels and everything? My Xbox can be played on a projector correct? I was looking athe 90-106" range

I'm staying outta this as Youthman slapped my knuckles for taking thread of track (and rightfully so too )Why dont you start a thread looking for suggestions and recommendations that will give you the right advoce in which way to go.

And yes to your questions Robc depending on budget and room accomadations for light.

• Moderators

I'm staying outta this as Youthman slapped my knuckles for taking thread of track (and rightfully so too )

LOL. You guys are cracking me up. Sorry I'm the forum police.

Ajoker is correct. It would be much better for you to start your own thread. You will get better more input that way. I'd be glad to provide my opinion on it.

I'm staying outta this as Youthman slapped my knuckles for taking thread of track (and rightfully so too )

LOL. You guys are cracking me up. Sorry I'm the forum police.

Ajoker is correct. It would be much better for you to start your own thread. You will get better more input that way. I'd be glad to provide my opinion on it.

Actually I should no better than this I actually own my own forum LOL!

Reference Head, that is a VERY nice setup. Everything is in just the right place and the best you would want and arrange in that space for 7.1 !

...........Gary

I call this the "Happy Meal Syndrome". Quantity over quality.
So you are saying NOT to have any headroom??? You say quanity over quality?? That is plain silly because I see a LOT of quality in his set-up! So I guess my set-up is the same...well I dont like Mcdonalds. Another point is this.... it is HIS system and he is very proud of what he has and he should be, is there a real reason to knock his system?

img0662ya.jpg

Dude, given any thought to a projector? You've got thousands tied up in a dedicated room and that display looks small-ish. I'm not trying to be a dick or comment on people's personal finances, but you've proved by posting this pic that you clearly can afford a projector. It looks like you've got the wall space for one too! Maybe the perspective of the pic is throwing me off.
That display is 64" so it is a bit small...my room is 27' X 28' X 8 ' how much is a projector...I could maybe a order one this weekend.....I also need some auralex sound treatments.
Very impressive... very open, with lots of room... outstanding...

Stephen -

Very nice. I've had the PC-12-NSD on my short list for awhile (haven't pulled the trigger yet). Your photos really emphasize what I hadn't even really considered before -- the PC12 is nearly the same height as my RF-52II fronts. Might look a little silly, depending on where I put it. Maybe I'm upgrading out of order? :-)

- Jerrod

Might look a little silly, depending on where I put it. Maybe I'm upgrading out of order? :-)

If you place the PC12 right next to an RF-52, it might look a little odd. Then again, if you place it in a dark corner, it blends into the background pretty well. Also, I wouldn't consider it upgrading out of order; RF-52s are good speakers, and when supported by a high quality sub, they'll sound even better.

To risk taking the thread off topic -- while we're chatting about subs here -- little help?

Even though my current speakers are likely a bit undersized for my room, I'd like to make the sub as appropriate to the room as I can. My HT area is in one half of a rather large room (~28'x14'x8') that opens to a kitchen as well. So say 4000 cu ft.

Current setup is 2x RF-52II, RC-52II, 2x RB-41II. My current BIC v1220 is pretty puny and muddy.

90% HT/TV/Gaming, 10% music. Here's a dupe of my photo from pg 233:

photo.JPG

After a bunch of window-shopping, I figure these are my favorite options:

Preferred $500-600 budget, shipped:

HSU VTF-2 Mk3 - $560

Epik Legend - $570

Rythmik FV12 - $590

Emo X-Ref 12 - $629

Budget-stretchers:

HSU VTF-3 Mk4 - $800

SVS PB12-NSD - $769

SVS PC12-NSD - $749

Thoughts? As enticing as it is, I think I need to pull myself away from the priciest one on the shortlist, the VTF-3 Mk 4. For that $800 I could get the smaller HSU and expand to 7.1 with a pair of RB-51II. Hmm....

My thoughts: with a large room like yours, it's hard to have too much subwoofer. I'd get the best you feel comfortable spending on, and see if there is any way you can place it near field.

Also, one addition: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

Designed in part by Dr. Hsu, and should be on par with the VTF 3.3

+1 on the best sub you can afford!

• dtel pinned this topic