Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Seeing as I now have a digital camera, I can finally post some pictures without first having to develop a film, hope they turned out alright, and then uploading disc to computer.

I spent a few hours removing everything and cleaning it today, the back of the television had sooo much dust on it, lol.

front3 resized.jpg

From top to bottom of the equipment: Philips Pa1200B 150 w/ch amp, Marantz SR4200 receiver, Bell Expressview 3100 satelite receiver, Toshiba SD2700 DVD player, Sharp Vch-997 VCR, Starchoice 405 satelite receiver, Jbl Arc8 powered sub ( fried amp, just filling the space for now ), and Yorkville Ap500 power amplifier.

equipment3.jpg

4" thick Roxul rockwool batt covered in polyester fabric, applied to a few places, I have to get off my butt to do other corners, this has reduced the peak in this corner, according to the spl meter.

resized corner absorber.jpg

above front speakers.jpg

resized covered rockwool batt.jpg

post-9504-13819255833378_thumb.jpg

Ok, what everyone was waiting for;

PICTURES!

This first one is of the newly made projector bracket. Its use will soon be seen!

whtr6.jpg

Next is the bottom of the bracket mounted on the projector. The bright screws are for adjusting level and pitch of the PJ.

whtr7.jpg

The top of the mount attached to the ceiling.

whtr8.jpg

And at last the projector mounted to the ceiling and adjusted, ready to work!

whtr9.jpg

The view of the living room from the front door, the door to the bedroom is in the front right corner.

whtr1.jpg

Looking back at the front door from the bedroom door.

whtr2.jpg

Looking at the right rear of the room from the front left corner. You can see the receiver and computer in this shot. At the moment, this is the only feed to the projector.

whtr3.jpg

Looking into the room from the right rear of the room.

whtr4.jpg

And what everyone wanted to know, HOW BIG IS THE PICTURE???

WELL HERE IT IS!!

whtr5.jpg

I am totally willing to invite you guys over but the rooms are small. In fact the sweet spot in the 2ch room is only big enough for 1 person at a time. The Theater can be arranged to seat 6 with a little moving of furniture.

This was also posted to the never mind my old ht, it is all different thread.

I noticed the image seems to be projected very close to the ceiling... and I'm curious to how high it goes.

You see, I'm building a basement HT with low ceiling, and would like to use a Lascala centre. That combo doesn't leave a lot of space above for projecting my image so I'd like to bring it close to the ceiling as well... but don't know how it'll affect the image.

What's your experience been like?

Rob

Well I only finished this last night so I can't say there is a lot of track record but the projector is mounted so the lense is about 10 inches from the ceiling and the max size of the projected image is right at the ceiling. From there to the top of the Heresy center is just over 4 1/2 feet. The format of the movies on the DVDs I have played are a little wider than that of the projector native resoultion which is shown in the picture above. This leaves the "black lines" on the top and bottom of the immage. No big deal really, only about 8 inches or so on each side. The picture quality is fantastic. Night time viewing is as good or better than at the cienama. In the daylight, the window needs to be blocked off. The thin curtains do a fair job and we were able to watch a movie but the dark places in the movie were a little hard to see. A good light blocking shade will be mounted to the window. That should make daytime viewing acceptible.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. That last photo? Smoking! It's like a mammoth, overgrown, mutant-sized PC computer screen! That is one sick, phat, crazy, ill, nutz, bodacious, awesome, killer, wicked, amazing, rad, righteous, insane projector you got Wayne! Even BETTER and BIGGER than I imagined. And hell, I got one hell of an imagination, lemme tell ya. Plus, WHO said size isn't everything? Them idiots, them...

I can't even begin to imagine how your theater experience must be like now. With your commendable collection of Heritage, some very sweet gear (VTL's, anyone?), and that DISGUSTINGLY HUGE SCREEN (in a good way), the aural, visual, and visceral effect must be spellbinding. Talk about pleasing the mind, body, and soul!

Your wife is probably secretly smiling, although she'd never show it. Gotta keep her man in check, you know? But then again...with a $4000 check for kitchen appliances, she'll probably be brown-nosing you for a week, maybe two, at most. =)

Congrats again, Wayne. That's money well spent. You have what I would officially call a pimp pad. Hahaha, ok ok, more like a sophisticated, tasteful, modern, and chic multimedia theater.

TIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the future built-in AV rack and Media storage area. Equipment will be on the right and DVD's etc will be on the left.

When done the room will have the following setup.

NEC XG CRT front Proj. 80" wide 16:9 screen

HD - Via Cable

DVD upconverted to 1080i

HK 7.1 surround RX

7.1 of Klipch Reference series (models TBD)

SVS 20-39plus

4 - Berkline motorized recliners to arrive later this month

post-18185-13819255835108_thumb.jpg

----------------

When done the room will have the following setup.

NEC XG CRT front Proj. 80" wide 16:9 screen

----------------

Z-man, If you have not purchased the screen yet give some thought to a 2:35 to 1 screen over 16:9. I went with Carada, but all the big names make em that aspect ratio. I can't stress how nice it is NEVER having black lines above/below the image only on the sides depending on what source (TV, HDTV, various DVDs) you are watching.

Start here with my original post http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59705

Member sfogg was a great help on this topic.

My projector is 16:9 native, but I am so happy I went with the wider screen.

Looks like you are building a very nice room. Drop me a line of you want to see some pix of mine. I did it last winter and it looks a lot like yours.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've definitly considered it however I don't think it makes sense for my install.

The 16:9 screen is a compromise from many confining variables. I don't have unlimited width to work with so getting a large enough constant height screen that works good with all material just isn't practical. Also constant height is a quite different animal with CRT projection. Plus that would really squeeze my L and R speakers too close to the wall... Not good for my sound.. and that is why we are all here right? 9.gif

Black bars don't really bother me due to my room being VERY dark and the CRT having NO light spill around the image. Truely once the room is dark you cannot see where the image stops and the surrounding screen is.

In the last house we had the XG mounted in the basement family room. Actually had a large 4:3 screen there and it was great. Was able to project a nice LARGE upscaled 4:3 image for big games etc... I guess you could call it a constant width screen instead of constant height. In the CRT community there are many followers of this approach. For sheer screen size if your room allows the constant width is better. However if you want to have some masking the constant height is no doubt easier.

In the end there are advantages to both.... Just depends on the situation... I've decided on the 16:9 for this room due to the constraints of the room, (ceiling height, where the proj has to be mounted etc..) as my best compromise for the type of viewing that will happen here. Although I'm die hard movie man.. I've got a feeling that a good majority of the time the room will be used to watch HD and other TV material with the lady. The sacrafice of image size in that configuration with the extra wide screen wouldn't make sense. Being width limited the taller screen works better for me!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/5/2005 8:19:01 PM zamboniman wrote:

Is it that obvious?

----------------

Yes, I could tell by the nice work you did. Obviously you wouldn't have had the time or interest in the midst of the play-offs. Then again, maybe you realy would have kicked it in gear to have the theater complete before the first drop of the puck?

Z-man, sounds like you are all up to speed on the screen sizing end of things. I missed the fact that you were using a CRT projector...my bad.

Best of luck on the room and the next season. I see you are in the Chicago area. Blackhawlks? What number??? I grew up in Detroit so gotta root for the Redwings.

Zamboni-

We have a very similar system, gotta love that NEC CRT!! Check out my remodel story here.

http://www.snoozingdogs.com/Basementremodel.html

We had a pipe break in the basement on New Year's so the theater was down for about 4 months, but fortunately there was very little gear damage. I've not had a chance to retweak the PJ after hooking things back up, and I need to work the scaler into the system as well, Lumagen Vision HDP, so I can upscale DVDs. Lots of fun down there, and hard to justify going to a crappy local theater when I have a pretty sweet system right now.

One other tweak will be to replace the Academy with another Chorus II. When I built the center rack, I sized it so that it would hold the Chorus II. Just need the time to get it all done, but with a toddler running around, it's hard to get that time.

My modest setup. My next upgrade is a bigger screen!

Synergy system 6 prior to upgrade

DSC00001_sized.jpg

Upgrade to R-7's

DSC00037_sized.jpg

DSC00036_sized.jpg

DSC00034_sized.jpg

I just got the 7's up and haven't decided on placement of the center and surrounds. I've thought of moving the center to where the receiver is and putting the receiver down below. The right surround is on the side wall and I've thought of trying to angle them both down a bit. It sounds pretty good as is, but I might at least try different placements.

R-7's and RSW-15

Denon AVR-2802

Parasound HCA-2205A

27" Sony WEGA TV

Sony Disc changer

• dtel pinned this topic