Wanting to buy New Klipschorns

link

I am getting ready to buy my first pair of Klipschorns brand new in the Florida area and I have been checking pricing. List price is now $7,500 for the pair plus tax. The best I can do so far is $500 off from the local dealer. Any recomendations or places to buy at a better price would be appreciated. I don't really want to buy used, I'd like own them new right from the start. I also understand they have made recent modifications and am curious if anyone has purchased a new pair recently and what the modifications were and was it an improvement. Thanks for your imput. P.S. I have a "mint" pair of Klipsch Cornwalls in Oak that I might sell to help pay for these. They were purchased in 1986 and I still have the box, manuel, sales receipt, etc. Wonder what I could get for them and best way to unload. Again Thanks.

The AK-4 crossover is probably the biggest improvement, however it was reported here when someone purchased a new pair that the QC was poor on them. By that I mean careless attention to detail, all the original builders of the things are long gone from what I gather. Be prepared for a long wait as well I hope that you are not in a hurry for them.

The only thing that would even remotely interest me in a new pair would be the AK-4 crossover with the binding posts and connections and nothing else. The upgrade kit includes the networks and new drivers and they are available from Klipsch for $1800. Klipsch had to resource the K-55 midrange and K-77 tweeter and the newer ones are slightly less efficient than previous drivers. The current versions are the -X (i.e. K--5X, K-77X) If I add a pair of Al's ALK's or DeanG's Auricapped AA's I would put either pair of mine up against a new pair any day and could probably best their performance! I bought both pair of my Khorn's for less than half than it is going to cost you for a new pair.

Somebody has got to keep the Heritage line going and viable so go for it!

Congratulations on a future purchase.

Some dealers won't take much off because of ordering, shipping, uncrating, inspecting.

But I understand wanting a new pair. The advice to contact Dean or Al K. is good.

But there's nothing like being the first owner.

dodger

----------------

On 1/11/2005 11:47:06 AM garymd wrote:

Most folks I know who bought new got them for $6,000 to $6500. Those were '03 models.

----------------

Yup... have been reading the same thing on here.

Sell your dealer on this... and convince them that you don't mind walking away (and buying used) if they don't come into that price.

Rob

PS: Although the K77 and K55 may have lost a bit of efficiency, aren't they attenuated the match the bass horn anyways?

Check this site for authorized dealers in Montgomery, Alabama. About a year ago they were setting up a HT with Khorn L/R, Belle center, and Heresy surrounds driven by Aragon.

Tell them your situation, and gently ask them for a ball park price that might encourage you to drive there (doing the final arm twisting once you arrive-listen-decide).

I think you might be surprised. Good luck!

Keith

----------------

On 1/11/2005 11:47:06 AM garymd wrote:

Most folks I know who bought new got them for $6,000 to $6500. Those were '03 models. Try to talk them down to $6500 if you can. If not, still a great bargain for new high-end speakers. Congrats in advance. You'll love them! Just ask DeanG or DTLongo!
----------------

6.gif I thought Dean got his in the $5K range?

That's a lot of money. For that kind of money, you may be able to land the best driver/crossover configuration and have custom cabinets built. So what if it may not end up being sanctioned heritage Klipsch. You will have the best built sound in the best looking (re: custom) cabinets.

Zebra Khorns?

• 4 weeks later...

I paid $5800 from a dealer in Everett WA. That was a long time ago and couldn't believe it took me 18 months before they were shipped. I should say they were $5800 with NO taxes as they were directly exported to New Zealand.

Currently still in their original boxes

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/Klipsch1.html

I do not know if Klipsch may any changes from 2002 to now on the Klipschorns. The dealer did tell me that at the time of my order, there was only like 2 woodworkers building for the Heritage line. I'm not sure if those 2 were Klipschorn builders from the old school or newly hired to take the job?

AK4? I never knew. All I can see is they've used Monster Cable inside. I can't really get a good close up shot of the xover network without taking the speakers out of the box.

Next year when the new house is finished... i'll finally get to hear them... Talk about patience.

BQ

I have a pair of 2004s'. Cost $6500. Delivery X was 4 mos. They sound brighter than the 86 Khorns I used to own, but I'm thinking I like them better that way. The cabinetry is not as good. The top section bolts are bent severely in order to seat properly on the bases. Even then the assembly is real tight. I'm somewhat concerned that any frequent disassembly re-assembling will strip the threads on those bolts. Altogether real pleased with the purchase and would have no other.9.gif

----------------

On 1/11/2005 11:17:28 AM link wrote:

I am getting ready to buy my first pair of Klipschorns brand new...

----------------

Hi. Welcome. If you are able to afford a new pair, go for it. Even if you pay the full price, the Klipschorns are still the audio bargain of the century. The only thing that requires some thought, is the choice of finish. Do you go Oak or Walnut? Hmmmm.

----------------

On 2/11/2005 5:38:12 PM Super_BQ wrote:

I paid $5800 from a dealer in Everett WA.

Currently still in their original boxes

Next year when the new house is finished... i'll finally get to hear them... Talk about patience.

BQ

----------------

You ARE patient. Frankly I couldn't stand the pain. If it were me the K'horns would be out of their boxes and set up in the bedroom. The wife could sleep in the garage. BTW, thanks for the link. Interesting reading.

• Klipsch Employees

FYI:

Yes it can take a while to get Khorns.

Yes, there are only 1-2 people that build KH, LS, Belle. Many more know how.

Some of the same people have been working that line for 10 -26 years.

Remember: the Khorn is one of the best speakers in the wrold, but to reach that claim the room they are used in must "work" with the speakers. They will sound good in most rooms, but to realy get all you can from the speaker, the room can make all the difference.

link,

SHOP AROUND! My experience buying klipsch heritage (cornwalls in '85, k-horns in '98 and a belle in '03) was that the right dealer will sell for about 2/3 of list. I paid $3800 for k-horns that listed for $5800, and $1450 for a single belle that listed for $2250. (Don't ask about the corns; I paid nearly list - my mistake) Drive a little, save a lot!

• 9 months later...

Hi,

It sure takes a while to get KHorns ...

1/ you've got to meet them : that's not as simple, I mean find them is not that easy at the first place - at least around here - , then you need to really meet the magic, which implies listening in good conditions with a relevant reseller who actually knows what beautyfully balanced high efficiency speakers may actually achieve when it comes to musical bliss. As an old timer (53) in the hi-fi addiction, this happened for me 25 years ago, when I could listen to those Ladies in a Hi-Fidelity Show, through excellent display in vast room (220 cubic meters) and valve Audio research amplification.

2/ I've listened to a lot of high-end stuff since 1978, but PWK's Khorns are different...

I didn't only listened to them : I did meet the Khorns...so, since that day, I had a quest going on : find the house with the suitable room, find the money by long-run savings, find the appropriate affordable 300B SET amp, then try to get a pair of Klipschorns.

3/ As you may notice, it's kinda quest for the holy grail so far : takes a lot of time, patience, money, energy to convince the significant others, some "courage" to cope with never-ending dogmatism from some so-called "audiophiles"....who decided that high efficiency horns can't be anything but harsh stuff. this story was 23 years long as far as I am concerned.

4/ Then, if you live in France, you will need to stand on the stubborn side, because you won another two years bonus : negociation is a must to get the retail price from 14950 euros (approximately $17590) down to 11590 euros (that's about $13640)...that means - lows & highs, hope & despair - for a Khorn lover.

Now , two years later, you have a deal. Next move : just give away $5000 of hard-earned/saved bucks for down payment, then wait 9 to 10 months for delivery...[6]

5/ Finally, quarter of century after the shock, you are almost there : you have the 30' x 21' x 10' room, solid massively built corners and floor, you feel the heat of your 4x 300B SET waiting for the PWK ladies in oak dress, your local hi-fi reseller & friend is here too and having you on, since he just can't believe those would make the best sound on earth, used as he is to sell small expensive jewelry i.e. variety of small very expensive low efficiency boxes.

6/ you've dreamed so often: the moment you at last touch them, open the huge four parcels, turn the bass-section parcels upside down to get them out with care, try to calm down to properly install the rubber seal on the tailboard, get the camera for pictures (unfortunately it's not digital one) etc....

7/ Breaking-in will take some time, still , straight out from the box (and thanks to the 300B valve amp too), here's the shock again, 25 years after the first one : classical, lyrics, jazz at the pawnshop , then rolling stones' "love you live" : it's all there, huge yet accurate, delicacy or nuke whatever is required by the artist...Still, by now not even half-way to the top of their range, top which these Ladies will reach, after long breaking in and taking into account future regular source improvement . No limit, a life's keeper, only the level of the stuff you throw at them will hold them back

8/ Bliss, pure bliss, as only the music gives, pure bliss as children's innocence . It took only a few minutes to get my sceptikal reseller & friend, B. in a jaw-dropping configuration, asking me to already consider a date (when the speakers' breaking-in will be well in progress) in order for him to test his faithful high-end ACCUPHASE DP-85 CD/SACD player !!. Suddenly his current reference speaker $12000 "PE LEON Nobilis" seems to him sound like crap !

Then comes in the significant other and the WAF test : " it's a pretty handsome piece of furniture" she says, "I'm glad you chose the medium oak, really nice finish, and ...uumm...the piano sounded really as the real thing.

9/ You know what ? as would say Droopy in cartoons : as the music has magic and makes people feel happy, those LadyHorns have soul, they not only make music, they make ppl feel good & friendly, as B. and significant others felt

Making a long story short : It was a long way (quest?) , the ticket pretty hard to swallow at $13000, but there's one thing I can tell for sure - imho - to anyone intending to buy the brand new KHorns : they more than deserve all the years/months/weeks/ worries & wait, also are easily worth to the last cent I spent ...So go out in the whole galaxy and get them, don't save yourself the trouble of patient tracking if necessary , and remember this : while paying a BMW 530 's price is not easy, it's a bargain here since what you really get for those bucks is in fact a 600bhp MacLaren-BMW.

Anybody owning Khorns will know what I mean [;)]

Regards