WAF time line for Klipschorns

rplace

After an exhaustive scientific study with a sample size of one (1) I have figured out how long it takes your wife to accept the idea of Klipschorns.

Friday (morning) Tell her the plan. Eyes roll, steam comes out of ears some ranting about:

Are things EVER going to be right in that room & How many speakers are enough?

Saturday Pick up speakers. Very little conversation that day i.e. the silent treatment

Sunday Back on speaking terms for general lifebut not one word mentioned about the newest addition to the family.

Monday First admission that there is even something new in the house. Short but sweet They sound nice

Tuesday (night) Curiosity gets the best of her and she says So WHY are they so big and what makes them so special? A shared bottle of wine and 1.5 hours of listening to music later and it is all smiles followed by They sound amazing and They fit in the corner nicely

So there you have it, just 5 days and all is well. Should have done this years ago.

Guess I have to qualify my findings by saying in order for this to work for you, you have to be married to a fantastically, wonderful, understanding and all around great person like my wife. She does in fact love music almost as much as I do, but she could care less about equipment and such.

Good luck to you, YMMV.

rplace said: "Guess I have to qualify my findings by saying in order for this to work for you, you have to be married to a fantastically, wonderful, understanding and all around great person like my wife."

Sooooo.....the wife was standing there looking over your shoulder whilst you were typing that message, eh? LOL9.gif

BTW - congrats on the Khorns. I've love to hear a pair (again) some day. Keep wondering when the bug for them will really bite me. I'm thinking it would help if I finished the HT and speaker refinishing projects first. My wife is very tolerant, and even supportive, of my A/V addiction. But there's only so much even folks like her will tolerate.1.gif

Tom

----------------

On 3/18/2005 2:41:33 PM rplace wrote:

Dare I even put my dream to words here? If she reads this I will need a divorce lawyer. Let's just say Belle or LaScala center channel. Anyone want to split a pair?

----------------

ROTFL. What did that email I sent you say?

BWAHAHAHAHA!

That was kinda the same thing I went through with my belles, only wife never warmed up to them. I don't think it was a sound quality issue, rather a spite issue. She is stubborn and did not take kindly to me replacing her Sanyo speakers with the belles.

Don't have the belles any longer, sanyos are back in place. Not because of wife but other reasons. Took money from home theater fund to buy belles and was never 100% fully happy with the sound of them.

Once your better half has been sold on the Klipschorns, it would be very difficult to sell her on anything else. Her argument, apart from the fact that they sound great, will always comes back to the fact that for such big speakers, Klipschorns don't dominate a room.

Hah! Richard, it's a sickness isn't it! Once you get a taste of the Heritage big boys you get sucked in like a herion addict. Gotta have more, more! A Belle or La Scala between those will bring you to another level. The Chorus is a damn fine speaker too but when you get that big K-400 horn in the front and that horn loaded bass man it is just no contest.

There are some Walnut Belle's in Indy! Split them and have IndyKlipschFan or Colterphoto1 pick them up and store them for you if they were capable and willing to do so for you. Provided they may or may not want them for themselves. Not sure what they may sell for though, the Belle draws good cabbage, it is a beautiful looking speaker.

This may be hard to believe, but my wife bought my Khorns for me (a wonderful B-day present)! She did roll her eyes when I got the Heresies for surrounds though. I'll let you know what happens when I finish the customer center & put it over the TV - things may get a little more lively then.

When I got my K Horns, my wife said wow, those sound nice. She thinks that stereos are something you get a Wal Mart for $50.

She now complains that the K horns are big and ugly (they are in Tigerwood, how can they possible be ugly!!).

She also says that me Belles look "old fashioned" and wants something "smaller." (like those dam little cubes)

She does like the electrostats.

However, she does not complain that I keep bringing them home and I love her.

Chris

----------------

On 3/19/2005 2:21:33 AM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

When I got my K Horns, my wife said wow, those sound nice. She thinks that stereos are something you get a Wal Mart for $50.

She now complains that the K horns are big and ugly (they are in Tigerwood, how can they possible be ugly!!).

She also says that me Belles look "old fashioned" and wants something "smaller." (like those dam little cubes)

She does like the electrostats.

However, she does not complain that I keep bringing them home and I love her.

Chris
----------------

Just got a pair of Martin Logan Clarity's in at work.

We have yet to get them to sound good (setup issues) - but what I hear I like. To 'break them in' we were playing Crystal Method and Linkin Park DVD-A discs and the speakers were VERY loud and clean. Again, these things need some serious tweeking to get good sound.

$3,000/pr.

WAF can be a funny thing.....depending on the approach, and her tastes. My wife required no real "sell" here - especially after the first pair. She "got it" - quick. If there was ever a woman for whom Klipsch style and sound would be favorable, it's my wife. What I find interesting, however, are the couples I have "converted".

First, it helps if she has an appreciation for music - if so, you may proceed with much less caution. If she doesn't, this is YOUR TOY (meaning you will owe her one).

Second, never pitch Heritage Klipsch as "speakers". Pitch them as "musical instruments" and/or "fine furniture" - because they are both. For the status oriented wife, try the line "owning Klipschorns is like owning a Steinway". This has worked on other couples - and that argument certainly has merit, too.

If your spouse has an affinity for fine antique furniture, your odds just went wayyyyyyy in your favor....just make sure you buy clean pairs (cuz the "fine antique" argument goes out the window when you bring home a "dreck" looking pair).

Never allow a woman to see uninstalled Klipschorns - at least until you have owned them for a time. If the first time she sees them is uninstalled, you will get vetoed in a snap. They look much less imposing, and much more like they "belong" when installed. On a wife's gut visual first impression, Klipschorns shrink when installed. This is much akin to the old story about sausage: It's OK to like sausage - you just don't want to see how it is made. So, make sure she sees the horns installed, first.

Finally: Based on my own unscientific survey, the Heritage speaker of choice for women???????

Belle Klipsch!

13.gif13.gif13.gif13.gif13.gif

It's good too to let SWMBO "decorate" the Khorns as long as water is not involved. I have never found it a chore to move the pictures and nick-nacks for a serious listening session and replacing them when I'm done.

My wife has lived with Khorns for the better part of thirty years not that that is amazing. My wife has lived with me for thirty four years, now that is amazing!12.gif

Rick

It took about 24 hours for my wife to talk to me after I brought mine home. Of course I didn't discuss it with her in advance. She came around when she had to admit that they look really great in the living room, and they sound wonderful.