emotionally moving music

hammerin

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A slightly different slant on the thread

But, "Old Shep" by, my ol' man! A real tear jerker for any 7 year old kid. I'm tearin' up now just thinkin' about it!

Actually ........... I should have a go a recording my dad singing some of his old songs, for memory's sake at least. While I'd never admit this to him but, he can actually sing! He's good at it! He has a great repertoire too - old irish 'rebel' songs, bush ballads, bawdy ballads, war-time ditties, cowboy songs and even some bob dylan. Some of these songs may be forgotten for good once he goes - he's 84 but as healthy as a bull. He'll be around for a good time yet, no doubt. And, yep! he's spending all my inheritance.3.gif

I figure all I'll need to do is ply him with a couple a beers, to loosen up the tonsils of course, and he'll gladly go for it. There'd be no stopping the old crooner!!

I'm sure there are many of us that have heard songs sung by old family members that you've never heard any where else. It maybe time to record the words of these songs, poems and ditties.

keep safe

----------------

On 3/23/2005 9:14:05 AM maxg wrote:

Mark,

If you can find it try this recording out, for a diferent take on the same aria:

Puccini

La Boheme

Maria Callas

Del Teatro alla Scala

Antonio Votto

EMI

063-18298

Stereo

----------------

Talk about moving aria's.

Tosca: E Lucevan Le Stelle

Tom

----------------

On 3/23/2005 1:01:50 PM Jimmytwo wrote:

Actually ........... I should have a go a recording my dad singing some of his old songs, for memory's sake at least. While I'd never admit this to him but, he can actually sing! He's good at it! He has a great repertoire too - old irish 'rebel' songs, bush ballads, bawdy ballads, war-time ditties, cowboy songs and even some bob dylan. Some of these songs may be forgotten for good once he goes - he's 84 but as healthy as a bull. He'll be around for a good time yet, no doubt.

----------------

Not to be dour, but don't count on it. I lost my Dad 18 years ago, and treasure every little scrap of audio and video I have of the old man. A high-quality record of your Dad singing old songs will be the most treasured posession you will have (as well as a great treat for your kids, nephews, nieces, etc.). Do it tonight! (I'd love a copy!)

Tower of Power with "What is Hip?" - I just ordered that a couple of days ago, ain't that cosmic or something! For funk of this high quality, the '70's recording is at least made somewhat acceptable (or overpowered to the point it doesn't matter) by the loud volume required for a respectable chest-thumping listen.

For the serious listening these are my favs, and are extremely good recordings (forgive my spelling):

On the emotional side, it depends on the mood, I would generally have to go with "Faure & Durufle, Requium(s)" (Telarc) for the most outstanding sublimely equisite piece(s) of listening music of mixed massed choir, orchestra and pipe organ. Absolutely breathtaking in places and totally sublime in others. Extremely clear, some electronic noise is occasionally evident.

Ravel's "Daphnes et Chloe" (DG) is another keeper. Ravel has a penchant for dynamics, again with a choir. This ballet is much like a modern movie soundtrack. Recording is better than average, but not perfect, although the music approaches it...

I even like Stravinski's ballets, "The Firebird" and "Rites of Spring" (DG), again very dynamic and quite like modern movie soundtracks of perhaps of the more action-filled variety, which is very enjoyable. These recordings are very high quality.

More sublime stuff: Debussy "La Mademoiselle d E'Lue"??? (Sony) is another female choir/orchestra piece of an exquisite nature. Nice recording, not really veiled, but softer somehow, very high quality.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 3/23/2005 6:43:10 PM fastlane wrote:

Cat Steven's "Cats in the Cradle" gets me even though my dad was not too busy for me, he was not there (divorced and moved away). It also reminds me to find more time for my own son.
8.gif

----------------

Wasn't that Harry Chapin? Did Cat Stevens ever record that? Anyway, a good Cat Stevens tear jerker is "Trouble" especially in the context of the scene from "Harold and Maude" where it was played.

Wasn't that Harry Chapin? Did Cat Stevens ever record that? Anyway, a good Cat Stevens tear jerker is "Trouble" especially in the context of the scene from "Harold and Maude" where it was played.

----------------

I believe you are right. It was Harry Chapin.

Goosebumps!!!

A darkened room lit only by the soft glow of tubes...

The Klipschorns softly playing Angus Dei (based on Barber's Adagio for Strings, The Robert Shaw Festival Singers - all vocal)a much more powerful rendetion of the Adagio but all vocal. A must for anyone who loves the Adagio for Strings!