How do I tame the harshness of the RF-7's

EarlRay

I have an older Yamaha RX-V992 receiver hooked up to my new RF-7s and it sounds fine at lower levels but at medium to higher volumes its much to harsh. I was wondering if I bought a Harmon Kardon AVR 7300 reciever if it would help to bring the brightness down. Is there any amp or any way to bring the brightness down on the RF-7's. I have around a 1500 us dollar budget for an amp/receiver. I have read that Harmon Kardon, Marantz, and Rotel all work well with brighter speakers. What do you think is the best way to warm the sound up?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:06:39 PM Nitefane wrote:

I have an older Yamaha RX-V992 receiver hooked up to my new RF-7s and it sounds fine at lower levels but at medium to higher volumes its much to harsh. I was wondering if I bought a Harmon Kardon AVR 7300 reciever if it would help to bring the brightness down. Is there any amp or any way to bring the brightness down on the RF-7's. I have around a 1500 us dollar budget for an amp/receiver. I have read that Harmon Kardon, Marantz, and Rotel all work well with brighter speakers. What do you think is the best way to warm the sound up?

----------------

older yamaha receiver mated with RF-7's sounds like a problem from the start

older yamaha electronics are known to have problems with horn speakers...... almost ANY newer receiver will work better with your RF-7's....

all of your listed sugestions are good options to consider as well as pioneer elite.... the best possible situation of course is to find a local dealer with a 30 day money back guarantee and buy the different receivers and see what sounds best in your room...

in my personal experience, my pioneer elite 55txi was actually too warm for my personal listening preferences.... i use the 55txi as a pre/pro with an outboard amplifier to power my KLF-30's...

good luck in your search!

1.gif

Nitefane,

Welcome to the forum!!!

The H/K 7300 would help with the harshness of the RF-7s. A weak amp will bring out the harshness. The minimum impedance of the RF-7s is around 3 ohms. Most receivers cannot handle the minimum impedance, but H/K does a good job. Separate amps are better yet.

Bill

Welcome to the forum. I had the same problem you are having when I moved my Yamaha RXV 800 from a smaller room to a larger room to power my Klf-20's. In the smaller room it sounded fine, but when I switched locations, at higher volumes it sounded bright.

I switched to a Denon 3803 in that room and now it sounds fabulous! I don't know about the HK you mentioned but numerous people on this forum like the way HK's sound with Klipsch.

I also have a Denon 3805 paired with my RB-75's/RC-7 combination and it sound great. I like the Denons because you can hook up a second set of surround speakers. IMHO if you upgrade your receiver you can accomplish the goal you are seeking.1.gif

As long as the 7300 sounds more like the 630/35 than the 7200 it should be good.If music plays a role you better audition the Rotel,its in another league for music and I own a HK 630,which is my avr choice for music in under $1k street.

If you hear something bad from the 7s start w/the source then pre/pro/amps,it ain't the 7s.

it is not the 7's it is the yammie, you keep saying brighter speakers, this is wrong, the klipsch give what they get, you are just feeding them bad signal, and yes the other gear you spek about does and will improve your end sound, but do stay away from yammie, but klipsch ar not bright

What else is in your system?

When you say harsh what do you mean? After you listen to a CD for 30 minutes your ears hurt?

CD Player or DVD for transport?

What kind of speaker wire and Interconnects?

First time with Klipsch Speakers?

Did your old speakers sound good in your room?

Danny

----------------

On 5/2/2005 11:34:01 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

uh, turn down the treble?

thanks for perpetuating the YAMAHA SUCKS theory guys.

----------------

an OLDER Yamaha receiver with klipsch speakers is a MISMATCH to say the least!!!

have you heard an OLDER Yamaha receiver with any klipsch speakers???

i have - was not a pleasant experience in the least!

new Yamaha models work very well and no longer have the problem like the OLD Yamaha receivers used to have when used with klipsch

I will roger up for the older Yamaha Klipsch mating was a harsh if not shrill one. Now having said that newer Yamaha stuff does not present the same problem. The old mantra of stay away from Yamaha if you have horns is no longer an applicable statement. It may be a little brighter than some other brands but across the boards I believe the newer Yamaha has a more neutral sound. Also look into your source components. I use a Yamaha RX-V3300 and it is nowhere near the once harsh sound of the Yamaha of old. It has excellent DACs for HT and does an admirable job on two channel as well. Granted it not a McIntosh set up or a Peach/VRD rig but for a receiver it does two channel surprisingly well.

From my experiences with the Yamaha CA-800 intergrated 1974 amp, is that the highs are grainy, irritating over a long listening session, and BRIGHT.

If your sure you want to stay with vintage SS, then the Harman Kardon x30 line is nothing short of fantastic.

Personally i'm sold on this tripath/digital amp revolution going on. Going from vintage HK to this Teac was night and day. Both sounds are equally enjoyable but the Tripath amps just sound so natural and real..

My two cents.

-Joe

Well I now know the secrete to huge soundstage, no Fatique and the best vocals never getting out of control in your face, its Called SUPER HIGH CURRENT amp, I now run Over 100amps per channel peak on mono blocks, nothing to do with wattage, it could be 10 or 100watts and not be important for the output on the 7's they are plenty efficient to run on next to nothing, but the HIGH current is pheonaminal with the Horns, they have full control of the woofers and smooth the mids to liquid at Level Zero to Very rediculous volume without lossing the Finess.. just my opinion after going thru many trials and errors over the past few weeks with the 7's, However this of course being High current designs come at pretty high costs, but comprable to good tubes in cost.

Oh and as mentioned an amp stable down to 2 OHM is almost a must to drag out the best of these speakers, but that should be automatic with higher end amps, mine are stable to 1/2 an Ohm so I could literally short the speaker wires together and never heat up or shut it down unless left for like 20 mins that way.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 12:30:38 PM J.4knee wrote:

I will roger up for the older Yamaha Klipsch mating was a harsh if not shrill one. Now having said that newer Yamaha stuff does not present the same problem. The old mantra of stay away from Yamaha if you have horns is no longer an applicable statement. It may be a little brighter than some other brands but across the boards I believe the newer Yamaha has a more neutral sound. Also look into your source components. I use a Yamaha RX-V3300 and it is nowhere near the once harsh sound of the Yamaha of old. It has excellent DACs for HT and does an admirable job on two channel as well. Granted it not a McIntosh set up or a Peach/VRD rig but for a receiver it does two channel surprisingly well.

----------------

What Knee said.

Ohm's Law

"I now run over 100amps per channel peak on mono blocks, nothing to do with wattage, it could be 10 or 100 watts and not be important..."

Thirdeye -- quit reading the advertising literature -- it's BS.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 1:10:45 PM thirdeye wrote:

Well I now know the secrete to huge soundstage, no Fatique and the best vocals never getting out of control in your face, its Called SUPER HIGH CURRENT amp, I now run Over 100amps per channel peak on mono blocks, nothing to do with wattage, it could be 10 or 100watts and not be important for the output on the 7's they are plenty efficient to run on next to nothing, but the HIGH current is pheonaminal with the Horns, they have full control of the woofers and smooth the mids to liquid at Level Zero to Very rediculous volume without lossing the Finess.. just my opinion after going thru many trials and errors over the past few weeks with the 7's, However this of course being High current designs come at pretty high costs, but comprable to good tubes in cost.

Oh and as mentioned an amp stable down to 2 OHM is almost a must to drag out the best of these speakers, but that should be automatic with higher end amps, mine are stable to 1/2 an Ohm so I could literally short the speaker wires together and never heat up or shut it down unless left for like 20 mins that way.

----------------

what brand and model of amplifiers are you using?

...mine are stable to 1/2 an Ohm so I could literally short the speaker wires together and never heat up or shut it down unless left for like 20 mins that way.

uhhh...... no

"I now run over 100amps per channel peak on mono blocks, nothing to do with wattage, it could be 10 or 100 watts and not be important..."

Thirdeye -- quit reading the advertising literature -- it's BS.

10 Watts at 100 amps implies a load of 0.001 ohms!

Even 100 Watts at 100 amps implies a load of 0.01 ohms... not a whole lot!