Best CD player for under a grand?

I just picked up a Denon 2900 for $459 on uBid, now I hated using a DVD player for redbook for CD's until I tried this one. It sounds just as smooth if not better than my Nakamichi OMS-7AII and DBX DX5 stand alone CD players. Plus it plays every format out there.

Just a thought!

I felt the same way Frzn did, using a DVD player for CD playback just seemed odd when I have a very nice sounding Nakamichi CD2 with Burr Brown DACs.

However, my new all format playing Denon 3910 (much like the 2900) I am using for DVDs in the HT does a great job with CDs. I have heard some DVD players that just don't do music well. If you khorns are doing dual duty for HT mains and 2 channel (I think they are) consider a Denon 3910 (about $1K if you dig) or the 2900 that Frzn suggests at about 1/2 that price.

Jolida JD100. New under $1000, and you may be able to find a used modded one under $1000. Modded ones usually have more dynamic range, and a broader soundstage, but the stock units are still a great player.

Carl.

+++++++++++++++++++

Best one box player I have ever heard for under $ 1000.

Arcam CD 73 deserves a listen. One is not easy to find around my town.

My 2900 is relegated to DVD-Audio and SACD duty only because of the superior redbook performance of my Jolida JD100. To my ears, the 2900 is much thinner-sounding, and the Jolida is much smoother overall for CDs. Plus, its tubed output (like the AH) offers you the opportunity to further sweeter the overall sound (or increase the detail, overall frequency range or soundstage) depending upon your choice in tubes.

That being said, I am glad you both like your 2900's redbook performance. That's what makes this hobby so interesting. We all have different ears and a different human processor.

Carl.

I agree with Dean on that one. I've had better, but far more expensive players, come and go. The Sony is still in the house. Plus, it can be modified by a bunch of people (Such as Allen or Dan Wright at VSE and Modwright, respectively).

----------------

On 5/5/2005 1:30:40 PM Tubes, Horns, and Buds wrote:

My trusty old NAD 5000 is acting up and making me a little nervous. Any recommendations? I will be using eventually be driving KHorns with vintage Mac tube gear for 2 channel when my old man decides to come off of them.

----------------

The best one I have heard is the Jolida JD-100. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

My Sony CE-595 5-disk also sounds very good, and sounds terrific playing SACDs, but that may be proud-poppa syndrome, so I cannot give an unbiased recommendation. (it only costs $150 too)

I compared the Jolida to the NAD C542. The Jolida had a quiter background but the highs seemed to be dull or very laid back compared to the C542. I was using a Luxman C300 SS preamp(1983-85) with a Cayin TA 30 tube int amp and 2004 La Scalas. The preamp has bass and treble so I adjusted the treble to see if I adjust it but I did not like the highs on the Jolida. I want to stress that I am not bad mouthing the Jolida it beat my NAD C542 in every aspect except in the highs. Someone else from this forum could have been with me and liked the sound of the Jolida better. With a different preamp it might sound better than the C542 to me. A local hifi store let me borrow the Jolida for a couple of days to compare on my system which I'm glad I did. Find a hifi store(not best buy or ultimate elec, etc) leave a deposit on a demo unit and pick it up right before they close on Sat and bring it back on Monday. This way you can demo it on your system. I also own the Denon 2900 and DVD A and SACDs in most cases sound better than CDs played on my NAD. But CDs played in both players sounds better in the NAD. Whatever your choice on a CD player make sure the store will take back the player if you don't like it. That is why taking home the demo model will save you some hassles. Good luck with your choice

----------------

On 5/6/2005 6:42:02 AM DeanG wrote:

I'll still put her up against anything, and at this price it's a no brainer.

BTW, the unit is stereo only -- not multichannel.

----------------

Dean,

This is a goood price. Let me make sure I am correct, it has 2 channel decoders, but for video it only has digital out. This seems like a good thing as the construction costs that would go into the extra DAC's would probably go into other areas.

Can I go this route? I can use the 2 channel out to a tube amp, and for HT I can run the Sony's digital out into my Denon 5800 and use its onboard DAC's. If I use bannana plugs, I can switch between the amps quickly for HT and 2 channel. I guess my question is "Does this Sony have 5 digital outs?"

Chris

This Sony has one digital out.

As far as Sony 9000ES vs. Denon 2900 for DVDs, funny you should ask. I use the 2900 in my HT. I guess that pretty well sums it up, but to be honest I never noticed much of a difference between the two units. I know the sSony doesn't do DVI and I'm pretty sure that the Denon doesn't either (I run it to a DVDO unit, so I cannot recall!).

----------------

On 5/7/2005 4:45:15 AM jbsl wrote:

I compared the Jolida to the NAD C542. The Jolida had a quiter background but the highs seemed to be dull or very laid back compared to the C542. I was using a Luxman C300 SS preamp(1983-85) with a Cayin TA 30 tube int amp and 2004 La Scalas. The preamp has bass and treble so I adjusted the treble to see if I adjust it but I did not like the highs on the Jolida. I want to stress that I am not bad mouthing the Jolida it beat my NAD C542 in every aspect except in the highs. Someone else from this forum could have been with me and liked the sound of the Jolida better. With a different preamp it might sound better than the C542 to me. A local hifi store let me borrow the Jolida for a couple of days to compare on my system which I'm glad I did. Find a hifi store(not best buy or ultimate elec, etc) leave a deposit on a demo unit and pick it up right before they close on Sat and bring it back on Monday. This way you can demo it on your system. I also own the Denon 2900 and DVD A and SACDs in most cases sound better than CDs played on my NAD. But CDs played in both players sounds better in the NAD. Whatever your choice on a CD player make sure the store will take back the player if you don't like it. That is why taking home the demo model will save you some hassles. Good luck with your choice

----------------

It is quite possible you were hearing two things with the particular Jolida JD100 you sampled. First, the stock version of the player does have a bit rolled off highs on the upper end versus the two different mods of the player that I have heard (including mine, which is an Underwood mod). From what I have read on the net, this can be compensated for somewhat by rolling better tubes into the unit (see below). I have also seen some modded versions of the Jolida go pre-owned for under a thousand dollars. Second, the unit, as most devices that utilize tubes, is somewhat dependent upon the quality of tubes. Putting it mildly, the stock tubes provided from the factory "suck." Most non-mechanical mods of the player at least include better tubes, and my personal experience is that NOS tubes (or certain new ones) do make a substantial difference with the player.

Carl.

IMO the Cambridge Audio azur 640C 24-bit/192kHz player can compete quite well with other players costing up to $1000, and it's a Stereophile Recommended Component to boot! It may not be THE end-all-be-all in players out there, it lacks HDCD, and it has no tube output, but it does sound clean and natural, and I'm completely satisfied with mine.16.gif

----------------

On 5/7/2005 11:33:45 AM Tubes, Horns, and Buds wrote:

I am confused how to use the unit for multi-channel music, dts, 5.1, etc. Is this accomplished by a digital out to my HT receiver?? I use a NAD T763. The sony unit seems to be a great deal, but I need some clarification. I am relatively new to the HT thing. Thanks

----------------

As to the 2900 you could run a digital cable(opt/coax)to take care of DTS/DD etc,if you have very good dacs in your pre/pro/avr.You also must run 6 analog ic cables from 2900 to pre/pro/avr F,R,C,SR,SL,SUB input.This is the hi-rez sacd/dvda connection and can also do DD/DTS etc if need be.You can also run a stereo pair from the 2900 to you pre/pro/avr for bypass etc.

Oh my, I can't believe no one has mentioned the Rotel RCD-1072, it has gotten much press about being one of the best CD players out there for the money. There are some really good reviews done from users and audio magazines. You can do a search and read up on the Rotel RCD-1072

online.